• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft 1 or 2 Piece Ghilie?

SteelW0LF

Private
Minuteman
Dec 15, 2009
Idaho
I'm currently about 1/2 done making a ghilie out of a BDU top.

I started befor I started lurkinh here, so it has no skids. Was wondering if it would be more worthwhile to just buy a flightsuit and start over proper with skids and all. I have been dying burlap sacks and tying the strings on idividualy. Takes a long time, but looks good.

But since the BDU top is only 1/2 done, I was wondering if you all think it would be of greater benifit to just start over on a one piece and do it proper.....

Re: 1 or 2 Piece Ghilie?

Hmm good point.

I'll see what a few other replies say as well. But I could just undo some of my work on the arms and try to get some skids on the front.

It tends to be personal preference. True, the 2 piece can have some advantages, but the 1 piece ensures your top won't start shift upward which means less fumbling in a 1 piece. One major advantage of the 2 piece is in an urban setting; you can flip the top over your head and cover your firearm and vision...it's a really nice technique that has been used in urban settings overseas where applicable.

Give and take with each. I've gone Viper Hood and a rear drape to suit my needs. I have yet to decide if I'm going to build a flight suit version.

Reactions: Secundus

well im not really sure about the urban advantage as i've only used screens and tactical concealments reaper suit in that situation but with a one piece you are in it once its on. two piece is preferable for many more reasons. some that come to mind
1) veg is the freakin edge. your ghillie suit is just a ball of burlap without vegetation tied in. its pointless to wear one without veg. and the mark of a true novice.
2) only in school and a controlled environment have i had the luxary of using both pieces. usually just the top as ghillies are bulky and dont pack very small, and you rarely have the chance to don an entire suit at the ORP. not to mention very hot.

if you really want to wear the whole thing and dont want sticks and dirt down your trousers just make the pants out of some carhart overalls. VERY important that you can take off the top to add veg.

3 piece.

Veil (hat), top and bottom.

There are times when only a veil is needed. Pants are rarely needed when you aren't crawling long distances and WILL catch on all kinds of brush.

Ghillies are hot. Wear only what you need to get the job done.

our guys all use 2 piece. mostly in an urban( neighborhood ) you would only need something to conceal your front or blend in to hedges next to a house. in our city there are very few places where you might need a full suit. as stated above I would just taylor it to your specific needs.

I have made both types of suits, one piece and two piece. I really like the two piece better because it is more versatile. Often I will just use the top and bottom is just regular cammies. Also it gets really hot out here in Colorado during the summer time, so I cut sections out of back of the top and back of the legs and covered them with tent mesh and them a tougher mesh over the top (similar to veil material). It helps breath a bit more out here in the dry heat. Just throwing in my 2 cents.

I prefer one piece suits my self or what we British have started using is the use of the Arktis concealment vest, you can cut it to length if its too long and is flexible

good system.

I would not recomend a flight suit. They are hot by themselves turn it into a ghile and it gets even hotter. I'd stick with cover, blouse, and trousers.

I like 3 piece, but Im trying a new design. Its gonna be awesome,

I had 1- of TC Viper hoods.
Nice piece of kit...

still cant believe i sold it off.
I'm itchn for a new one. but due to bugeting I may just convert
one of my MARPAT tops into an upper piece.
Add some MOLLE PALS for some AR10 pouches.

definetly 2 piece one piece binds up, is to hot, and I do not see any advantage to a one piece (unless you are going to do some explosive breaching which I do not reccomend with burlap). I spent 2 years in each and could not imagine putting burlap on the flight suit and doing a stalk.

Ghillies are hot, and a flight suit is not an option as far as I'm concerned...

A ghillie in an urban environment? Not so much... I would be more apt to get a set of overwhites and paint/dye them in a random, mottled color pattern that matches your AO.

If you're going to school, then a two pc is most likely mandatory, as you'll be in a controlled school environment in a two dimensional training atmosphere. After school, bottoms get trashed, they're heavy.

I agree with the 3 piece, that's what I've made and used. BDU's are easily modified by removing the exterior pockets and re-sewing them on the inside of the blouse. You can mix you camo or modify more easily by having 2 pieces. Example use the woodland bottoms with a over white to blend in a snowy forest. Use your veil/hat to drape ovetr the rifle to enhance your loop hole. Stalking without the bottoms when speed is needed id much easier.

Just a few thoughts

Reactions: Secundus

Unless I plan to do movements, I use a NO - piece ghillie. I simply wear something comfortable, set up before light, and then stay warm and comfortable behind my ghostblind.
What is that so many of you are stalking anyway?

ifpw6g.jpg

GhostBlind

Those mirror blinds are a great idea. Might be easy to make something like that with mirror/chrome paint on cardboard; plus lighter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Emilio</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would not recomend a flight suit. They are hot by themselves turn it into a ghile and it gets even hotter. I'd stick with cover, blouse, and trousers. </div></div>

I will second this for 2 reasons, nomex is one of the few materials that if you are hot it will make you hotter and if you are cold it will make you colder. The second one is nomex has a scent to it that never seems to go away, not a huge problem for a sniper at a distance but more of an issue if the problem gets close and definitely for a hunter.

My question is are you planning on using this for school? if so, I'd keep with the three-piece suggestion. We had a guy who had a flight-suit in school and he never was able to get it camouflaged right. I can't speak for marines but the army stalks are an individual event, and you only get 10 minutes to veg up. He just never was able to get enough veg on the suit to blend in with his surroundings. Plus if you have to re-veg along your route to the FFP it would be a pain in the a@#.