• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 1" or 30mm for a .308

perazzisc3

Sergeant
Banned !
Minuteman
Dec 16, 2011
Sunrise, Fl
apart from the money difference is there a big difference with the 30mm over the 1" scope tube??

Re: 1" or 30mm for a .308

The larger tube means more adjustment is available for longer distances.

Scope tube diameter isn't really a feature you specify or shop for. The better, more expensive scopes have larger diameters. The desirable features of a long range scope are:
1.Enough vertical adjustment to shoot out to your desired range (for 1000 yards on a .308 its about 45moa). This feature is MANDATORY.
2. Zero stop (not necesary but a very desirable feature)
3. Matching turret and reticle (moa/moa or mil/mil) (again not really absolutely necessary, but you will want it if you dont have it)

The other features are nice, but more like icing on the cake.

Go for the 30. Much better, and some mfg do offer both. Mid tier groups like Bushnell. The inch tube will likely get you to 6-800 yards. I have Ziess Conquest that gets me to 800.

The only reason to go with a 1" tube is if weight is an issue, as generally from what I have seen, scopes with 1" tubes weigh less than bigger tubes. If you adjust for long distance shots, its a no brainer, bigger tubes are better.

Probably the biggest advantage to 30mm tubes is that you have the largest selection of rings to choose from.

^ Not sure if serious
confused.gif

Go with whatever featues of the scope you need that fit into your budget.

A canted base can give you some added elevation to get you out further if you end up with a scope with less than optimal adjustment range.

I heard you should go with the 40mm main tube because its the best out right now. =T

I bought 1" rings for my .308, I had a leupold on mine. I figured an upgrade was a long ways off.

I ended up looking for a new scope pretty soon after I realized I wanted more features than my currect scope offered. Turns out there are a lot of options in the mid-price range scopes with external adjustments and whatnot that are 30mm.

IMO the majority of "tactical" scopes mid-range and up are 30mm.

If there is a 1in tube scope you like and will do the job then get the 1in. There isnt anything wrong with it. However 30mm tube is like the new standard for higher end scopes. It gives you more adjustment and usually is stronger then the 1in. I have a leupold Mark AR with 1in tube on my AR15 and it has more then enough adjustments in it for the 5.56.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigB308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">However <span style="color: #CC0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">34mm</span></span> tube is like the new standard for higher end scopes. </div></div>

Fixed that for you!
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigB308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">However <span style="color: #CC0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">34mm</span></span> tube is like the new standard for higher end scopes. </div></div>

Fixed that for you!
wink.gif
</div></div>

Soon we'll have someone say 35mm, and it'll become a Vortex vs Valdada thread
whistle.gif

Yup! My Vortex Razor HD has 125 minutes of vertical and horizontal travel in its <span style="color: #FF9900">35mm</span> tube.

Agree though, tube diameter is no something you shop for. Look for reputation and quality, the reticle you want, matching knobs, and enough elvation to be able to dial up to your longest distance (typically 1K yards) all more important than tube diameter. As has been pointed out above, most scopes in this area have 30mm or larger tubes.
Vortex, Nightforce, S&B, Valdada, all good choices. I'm sure I forget some.

1911fan

Any one know what reticle is going to be on that 3.5-26 Hensoldt?

Should be interesting, will keep an eye out for it.

I'll raise you one with the 40mm IOR, even though I prefer 34mm
grin.gif