• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 1 - piece base or 2 - piece base for 10FP?

galveston22

Private
Minuteman
Jun 1, 2009
Texas
OK, so I just bought a Savage 10FP in .308 and am now shopping for a base, rings, and scope. Should I get a 1 - piece base or 2 - piece and why?

Re: 1 - piece base or 2 - piece base for 10FP?

Most benchrest shooters use two-piece scope bases.

Aside from being able to deploy various devices on a fully-slotted Picatinny Spec Rail, which means maybe you need rails over the bolt cut-out area on your bolt-action rifle, there is nothing to gain from a one-piece base.

Have heard a lot of arguments for the one-piece base from "tactical shooters" over the years, but none that is applicable or verifiable unless you want to use a variety of devices or position your scope forward for prone shooting etc.

A one-piece base does NOT strengthen your action or add to its rigidity; unless you WELD it on.

A one-piece base can be just as out-of plane as any 2 pc base, UNLESS you know that your action is perfectly in accord with the blueprints the base-maker used.

You have a better opportunity to tune a 2 pc base setup with shims or other means to assist alignment than you do a one-piece.

When a benchrest shooter has to get groups under .1-.15 to place in the finals, do you think they would handicap themselves with gear that didn't work? NightForce and Leupold make 2pc Picatinny spec mounts. I have cut the bridge section out of a NightForce one-piece mount and gained an extra slot fore & aft.

I hope this is helpful information.