• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 1 S&B for 2 HDMR's?

SFree

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2005
USA
Stupid question, but I thought I'd throw it out anyway.
I have an S&B PMII 4-16-42 Gen II Illuminated, single turn, mil/mil that is the bomb, but wondererd if selling it to fund 2 Busnell 3-21 HDMR's is insane?
Like the idea of having back up, same/same for emergencies and knowing I most likely cannot afford another S&B (without selling my Jeep...).
Bushnell's good enough?

Flame away...

Re: 1 S&B for 2 HDMR's?

Looked at that PRS list didn't ya...?
wink.gif

Hmmmm... Sell a scope you can't replace for two that you can get any day of the week.

How much do you want for the SB 4-16 Gen II?

I'd keep the S&B and stuff $10 a week in jar, buy a decent used optic out the FS section @ 7 months. May not be a plan for instant gratification, but over the long haul it is likely a better plan.

Good luck

how many guns do you shoot? gennerally two scopes are better than one, i would rather have 3 great scopes for my precision rifles than one incredible scope that i have to share between 3 diffent rifles.

i know a lot of people love S&B but to me their glass is not worth 1000 dollars more than the next competitor nor are their features worth 1000 more than the dozen or so other scopes out their that offer 99 percent of the features with some different ergonomics

I look at S&Bs as a halfway decent investment. As the dollar declines against European currency, their stuff goes up in price. We have a "no-sell" policy in my family regarding Schmidt and Benders...
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hmmmm... Sell a scope you can't replace for two that you can get any day of the week.

How much do you want for the SB 4-16 Gen II?</div></div>

$10,000...

I've had 3 S&Bs and they have all failed on me in different ways. I have many friends with multiple S&B failures as well. They have some great glass but there's much, much more to a scope than great glass. And at that price point, I want it to work, not just be nice to look through.

I've run a Bushnell G2DMR most of this year competing around the country. This scope has REALLY surprised me. Holds zero, returns to zero, tracks as it should, and it doesn't break the bank. My rifle got kicked over twice during the night portion of the Findlay Cup in WA. That was my first match running that scope. Not even a hint of a shift occurred. Can't say that about my 5-25 PMII after my rifle fell over.

Long story short, given my history with S&B, I'd gladly have 3 HDMRs than one Schmidt.

Thanks Simple,
Though I've never had an issue with my S&B I appreciate your candor. It's a bit of a problem I have with all of the high end products (scopes, rifles) and knowing that while their reputations warrent respect, they should also garner even greater scrutiny. S&B's, AI rifles, and any other mega-buck tools fail, just seems very few will admit it...

Anything made by man can fail. Does that mean you shouldn't buy them? I don't think so. I have owned about 8 S&Bs over the years and never a problem with any. Still have my original 5-25x I bought used in 2006 and it's been beat up pretty good through the years at matches and never let me down. I have seen S&Bs fail and heard stories about them as well but I would look at any failure as a rarity and not the norm. S&B scopes are plenty tough as they are being used by the USMC and also USSOC.

You can also be sure that if you do have problems Jerry and the crew at the Service Center will get it taken care of ASAP.

Thanks for reminding me of that Rob!
I've delt with Mr. Riker in the past with another S&B, NOT a warrenty issue, and he was great, service quick, product performed.
This is not a witch hunt by any means, just curious as to product comparisons, said cost for product (which I know for S&B), and viability of another system in terms of cost. I simply cannot afford 6 or 7 S&B's, but would like some back up if needed.