• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 1 Scope, 2 rifles best option

verdugo60

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 6, 2010
    Denver, CO
    I'm consolidating/upgrading my glass and my rifle collection keeps growing so it's harder to put good glass on all of them. I'm planning to have a Vortex Razor on my comp gun this year, and was considering just throwing it on the 338 edge a couple times a year when I use it.

For guys doing similar, is it worth a "QD" mount with throw levers or should I just stick with traditional rings and carry a wrench at times I'm going to switch? If the QD route, which mount? Is the Larue good in this application?

LaRue Tactical SPR / M4 Scope Mount QD LT104 | LaRue Tactical

I'm consolidating/upgrading my glass and my rifle collection keeps growing so it's harder to put good glass on all of them. I'm planning to have a Vortex Razor on my comp gun this year, and was considering just throwing it on the 338 edge a couple times a year when I use it.

For guys doing similar, is it worth a "QD" mount with throw levers or should I just stick with traditional rings and carry a wrench at times I'm going to switch? If the QD route, which mount? Is the Larue good in this application?

LaRue Tactical SPR / M4 Scope Mount QD LT104 | LaRue Tactical

Without knowing what the two rifles are it's impossible for anyone to give advise on whether a LaRue mount is right or not. Almost all QD mounts are made for AR type platforms and generally place the scope too high for use for most bolt gun applications.

But I will say that a QD mount is made for Quick Detachment in the field to access BUIS and the like, not for swapping scopes at home or the range where access to a wrench is usually not an impediment and is a planned activity.

That makes sense on the Larue being too high. They are both bolt guns with match barrels, both with 20 MOA pic bases.
    [MENTION=80029]high right[/MENTION]: how is the spuhr working for your field changes? I guess a spuhr uses alan wrenches, so I could use my borqa to swap it between one rifle and the other and not have to carry a socket wrench set like for standard rings.

The Spuhr mount does not use allen wrenches, rather Torx bits, I believe T20 is the correct size. At any rate, a folding set is available for low $$.
    I am getting to the point where I will need to do this although I much prefer a one rifle one scope. With 6 rifles I shoot regularly, my budget for quality scopes takes a beating.

I've taken it off a few times to test it. So far so good. There instructions tell you to torque it then mark the screws.
    Indexing them for field changes. Cool idea. I got the package from Mile High for a back up scope.
    I really like it so far. Not a great eye box but, I think it is gunna do what I want. The spuhr mount is a bit
    High for my liking. If your not running an adjustable cheek it could be an issue.
    Mile High is great to deal with plus, they are 20 minutes from me.

Scopes break more often than rifles. I would rather have 1 rifle and 2 scopes :)

Just get a good one-piece mount like a Near Alphamount, Spuhr or Aadmount and use the appropriate wrench when switching. If you are consistent on torquing bolts, you'll be pretty close each time. You just need to record the difference in elevation and windage between rifles when scope is mounted. I like the Near mount, since Richard makes it low and uses standard bolt nuts. You just need a 1/2" driver and turn it 90 degrees (1/4 turn) past finger tight for a consistent and proper torque.

I have seen videos with very consistent QDs. They could cost $$$ but they exist. I do not trust them personally but I have never owned a good one. I have 2 scopes on SPURH TRG dovetail mounts. They do not move a lot. But I still need couple of clicks. You still need to re-zero or confirm zero on your rifle before attempting a long shot, so I think exact mount consistency is not that much of an issue. At least for me. 3-5 shots, one correction - you are done. With good scope you do not have to shoot another group. On my heavy TRG barrel even one zeroing shot works OK. I do not see any substantial difference between clean cold barrel shot and the next 20 or so.

Another thing I noticed, that I am can consistently "pull" in one direction (pretty random) at each given day (0.1 mrad or so). Nothing is perfect, especially our bodies. So here comes "click of the day". If somebody has an answer for this mystery please post it for our benefit. My theory is that it all depends on how you drop into position and pull the trigger first time. If you do not have perfect muscle memory then every day you start a little bit differently and it goes from there. I was on shooting courses for a week and did not see zero moving at all. I was shooting every day. When I came back home and start shooting one time a week then zero started to move.

Last edited:
    Buy quality rings, or a mount, along with a Borka torque wrench and you will be good to go. You can easily swap your scope at the range or at home.

Buy quality rings, or a mount, along with a Borka torque wrench and you will be good to go. You can easily swap your scope at the range or at home.

This. I have one Sightron S3 scope that 6 guns share. TPS bases and TPS rings. I have knob settings written down and haven't had a problem swapping yet; and the scope doesn't go on a rifle till I get to the range.