• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 1 scope 2 rifles?

m1ajunkie

Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2010
Boise, ID
How many of you are using one scope for multiple rifles? How do you like doing so?

I have been really wanting to get one of the premier 5-25 gen 2 xr scopes for a while now, but it would be a stretch to buy it out right. I am currently running a NF F1 on a .308 ar and a vortex 6-24 on a .300WM I could fund to buy the premier.

However, I am thinking of mounting the scope in the badger 1 piece 34mm mount which would give the correct cheek weld on the ar, but would be a bit high on the bolt gun. Any down sides to this, other than needing a taller cheek piece?

This scope would be used on both the .308 ar and .300WM when ever I decided to shoot one of them. The finger adjustable zero knobs seem perfect for this application but I would like to hear others experiences in doing this.

Re: 1 scope 2 rifles?

The ADI mounts are perfect for this, but they are a bit spendy! I guess, when you consider you are replacing a scope and a second set of rings though, it really isn't that bad!

Edited to include: ADI Mounts are supposed to keep their zero after taking it on and off the rifle. Supposed to be guaranteed sum-moa poi shift.

I'd rather have two midline scopes than one high end scope I switched between rifles.

Did that for a while, nearly the same configuration. Some feel it is an inconvenience to re-zero every switch. I actually still have a floater scope in a 1 piece mount. The Premier is a bit easier because the flip lever. I went with a riser rail on the AR and regular rings. I wanted the bolt gun to have optimum set up.

Keep in mind that GENII XR is a very fine reticle. It's not very usable for me in a quick hurry at the lower powers.

I've been doing this with an H58 horus in a Bobro QD mount. Works for me but depending on the rifle the cheek height needs adjusted. Mount returns to zero amazingly though. I also like only having to use one scope level as it stays on the scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd rather have two midline scopes than one high end scope I switched between rifles. </div></div>

+1

The F1 is a very good scope I would keep it. Save your money until you get close to the amount you need for the PR and then sell the Vortex. Or sell both and buy 2 Bushnell HDMR G2's. 1 scope for 2 rifles would get old real quick, IMO. Personally I would sell the Vortex and put it towards a NF 5.5-22x50. If you need FFP you can save until NF puts out a FFP in a higher mag. I'd rather have 2 NF's then one PR. If the PR gives you that much of a chubby then do what you have to do to get it.

I guess you could get the correct height rings for your bolt-action and use some kind of riser for your AR but your still going to have to sight the rifle in every time you switch it. Sounds like a PITA to me. YMMV.

Fair enough, I was already thinking sighting in each time I swapped rifles would get old, I guess I just wanted to hear it from others.

I would really like ftp as my ultimate use of both rifles is tactical competitions, however I could handle ERP while I save up more. Selling the vortex to fund a nf 5.5-22 is something I haven't thought of, but may very well do.

I would much rather have one high end scope in a quality mount, than two mid range.
Switching the scope to another rifle takes you about 45 seconds. And max 5 rounds to rezero. Less when you have done it a few times and know the difference.
Remember that if you have the proper equipment this does not have to be done at 100 yards/meters.
Then you can enjoy the best optics you can afford on all your guns, and the drawbacks are not a serious issue.
Owning that piece of quality glass makes the shooting experience much more enjoyable and let you enjoy the full potential of your rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kaspermj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would much rather have one high end scope in a quality mount, than two mid range.....
Owning that piece of quality glass makes the shooting experience much more enjoyable and let you enjoy the full potential of your rifle. </div></div>

I totally agree!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cb_tikka</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tried it. Sounded good but after a while it was a pain in the ass. Save your money for another scope. </div></div>

Agree 100%

JW

Alot depends on how often you will be switching. If only switching a few times a year from a tac rifle to a hunter for example it won't be too bad. But if switching every other weekend or you want to shoot both in a single range trip it will probably get old after a while although not unbearable as it should be easy after you've done it a few times. If you have good rings and bases and a torque wrench then it should be pretty repeatable.

I have one high end (S&B) scope that I plan on switching back and forth between two GAP rifles. I haven't yet switched; I posted earlier here about this and the consensus appeared to be favorable.

I switch scopes sometimes but it's a pain in the arse. But with a good mount, you can do it without too much hassle. But thing is once you have the right scope on the right rifle you rather not move it. So I rather get another scope regardless of mount.

+1. I have a couple of rifles that don't get out much, and it would not be cost-effective to mount a very high quality scope on each. I use the Leupold quick-release rings to mount to a picatinny base on each rifle, and have little problem returning to zero when I move the scope from one rifle to another. Over time, I have determined the number of clicks I need to make when moving the scope from one rifle to the other, and that adjustment so far has always returned me to zero or 1/2 MOA from zero.

On the other hand, if I had to make the change frequently, it really would get tiresome.

Put a 20 MOA riser on the AR and use 1" high rings and you can move it from the AR to the 300WM. I have done this with my GAP-10 and my bolt guns with a S&B 5-25x56. It works fine.

DSCN0548.jpg

P6300194.jpg

Buy a Bushnell #74-3333 bore-sighter/collimator.

Test your scope with turrets set in middle of adj range. IE count total # clicks E&W range and divide by two, then dial back that many clicks.

Test scope set as above on each rifle.

Mount scope rings positioned so fit is correct on both rifle bases.

Mount scope & torque fastener to base. Observe the reticle position in context to collimator grid. Got a notebook? Record reticle position on grid. Compare rifle 1 reticle position to rifle 2. Not like you can expect same positions, but close is better. If one rifle mount system shows wide variance, you might have issues...

So, now you have seen where reticle positions on collimator grid when set to centered Windage & Elevation. Now you sight-in.

Take your Record book and collimator and record reticle position at your various zero yardages for rifle 1 & 2. Hopefully, you can keep close to your centered reticle position. A 20moa cant base on only one rifle will require lots of adjustment when swapping to your other rifle, but you have the grid reference.

Dial to your grid reference with the collimator after swap scope to next rifle. Verify at range. Remember ammunition variables can be a large factor in the equation, but if all your variables are same as when you last used or tested the rifle, you should see a very close or return to zero by using the grid collimator. Conditions are also a variable with big effect you'll need to consider.

I fully plan to do this between my gas guns and also my bolt guns.
The cheek weld will be to extreme between the two, so I intend to have one optic for all my long range gas guns, and one optic for all my long range bolt rifles.

If it's a quality optic and mount/rings...there should be no reason you can't re-zero in 2-3 shots after switching back and forth.

I'm now looking at glass way outside my budget, knowing it's going to serve double or triple duty.
Same with my suppressors.
Even with some of my AR calibers.

One Lower, One Suppressor, One optic, one QD bipod/mount and five uppers in different calibers or configurations and that's a HUGE savings on the ole pocket book, all while retaining the exact same grip, stock, LOP, cheek weld, trigger pull, and optical system.

The muscle memory alone would be worth it to me...but to save that many THOUSANDS of bucks is just awesome for a fella with a budget that isn't sky high.

I take my Larue QD mount with 2.5-10x32 NXS off and on my AR quite often and have never had issues with a shifting zero.

At one point I was swapping the same scope between my AR-15 and my DPMS LR-308. There was about a 2 MOA elevation, and 5 MOA windage change between the two, and it was repeatable with my limited testing. The LR-308 was shooting 2-3 MOA with the crap ammo I was shooting, so maybe not the best comparison for a precision/LR crowd.

Again, though, the return to zero on the AR-15 was always there, taken it on and off probably 50 times or more.

I'm a firm believer and getting/using the best glass you can, even if it means taking the time to move the scope between a couple rifles. I do it now as a temporary solution until I buy a new S&B but I only end up making the switch a few times a year so I'm willing to deal with it. Depending on the height difference and the difficulty of doing so, raising the cheek piece would seem like a pretty easy answer after you figure out the POI shift and reset the scope.