• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

10/22 16" Bull barrels ?

Justinsaneok

Private
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2012
Ok
I need a .920 barrel to fill up this .920 stock One Shot One Kill gave me. It only seems right honoring the gift with a good shooting 16" barrel. I squirrel hunt with it now, plan on using it as a trainer. .308 ammo even reloading it is ridiculous. So I'm ordering a FFP MIL/MIL .01mil click scope for it. Ruger put's MIM parts in the trigger now so I'm getting some parts I can actually put on my stoning jig. So Here's my budget $165 or less. I would like it to cycle well and am worried about super tight chambers.

Re: 10/22 16" Bull barrels ?

I put a 16" Green Mountain barrel on mine. Shoots Federal bulk inside 1 inch at 50 yards. Never jams. It was about $100 a few years ago.

CopyofIMG_3424.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MontanaMarine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I put a 16" Green Mountain barrel on mine. Shoots Federal bulk inside 1 inch at 50 yards. Never jams. It was about $100 a few years ago.

CopyofIMG_3424.jpg
</div></div>

Ever shoot any CCI minimags 36 and 40 grainers through it? I ask cause I have a few thousand of them. Not that it really matters barrel to barrel, just curious.

No, I haven't.

I have shot some CCI Velocitors though, they go about 1" at 50 yards, for 10 shots.

I must have got a good one from the Ruger factory. It shoots 1" at 50 yard now. It just looks a little goofy in the bull barrel stock. I figured a good bull barrel would be a little better.

Mine would probably do better with a better trigger, and a little more scope power.

For me, it's all I really need as is. When the wind gets to pushing, and it does here a fair amount, that last bit of precision gets blown away anyhow.

With your price-point you're really limiting your options to pretty much Green Mountain. I chose to spend ~180 for a Tactical Solutions 16" fluted barrel (un-threaded which I regret). I love it! I can get consistent sub-moa groups (5 shot groups have averaged .9-.95moa) at 100yds with the right ammo. I'm not bashing GM by any means as I do not have any experience with them. I'm just letting you know my experience.

Also, now that I'm looking through my hindsight 20/20 goggles, I really wish I had gotten the threaded barrel as now I want a suppressed 10/22...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Justinsaneok</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I need a .920 barrel to fill up this .920 stock One Shot One Kill gave me. It only seems right honoring the gift with a good shooting 16" barrel. I squirrel hunt with it now, plan on using it as a trainer. .308 ammo even reloading it is ridiculous. So I'm ordering a FFP MIL/MIL .01mil click scope for it. Ruger put's MIM parts in the trigger now so I'm getting some parts I can actually put on my stoning jig. So Here's my budget $165 or less. I would like it to cycle well and am worried about super tight chambers. </div></div>

Most of the 10/22 target barrels come with a bentz type chamber that is tighter than a sporter chamber yet not as tight as a match chamber. This helps with the cycling issue. Here is mine below and I have never had chambering or ejection issues 1000's of rounds and is flawless. The barrel made the rifle into what I call a 50pt rifle. I compete in a local benchrest silhouette match where we shoot at standard as well as non standard targets at regular as well as extended ranges (up to 162 yards). This rifle was the first 10/22 to ever score a perfect score of 50pts at the match (it has long been said it could not be done--but I did it and amazed everyone there). It is hard even for my 40-X rifles and anschutz rifles to score a perfect 50pts if I am not doing my part.

Rifle Info (this rifle was actually something I just put together for fun while I was overseas--originally was not supposed to be a competition rifle but it turned out so accurate that compete in the 10/22 class with it):
Stock 10/22 reciever, bolt
Crappy plastic trigger guard with ruger trigger parts (I did my own stoning of the trigger parts to create a crisp yet light and reliable trigger.
Hogue Ergo Rubber grip.
Nordic Components AR22 Chassis
Magpul PRS AR-15 gen 2 stock
Smith Enterprises steel Picatinny rings
Leupold Mark 4 3.5-10X40 IL Mildot
US Optics ACD
And Lastly, Green Mountain 16" Blued Fluted .920 22LR barrel

3142y69.jpg

i have a Green Mountain barrel and i must say, it's really heavy. i need to get it fluted or something, it feels like it's at least 2x's heavier than stock. with that said though, it's been a great barrel. shoots a little better than stock and i'm enjoying it.

Those T.S. barrels are sweet looking. I would like to shoot farther than 50 y and I bet that's when a good barrel shines. It was a rare no wind day in okie. So I went out and this barrel shot .5" again 10 rounds at 50y. It likes these 36gr CCI s. So I figured I should shoot at 100. I found out the little Ruger barrel really starts to suck. About six times what others are talking about hitting at 100y. I'm glad to hear a good trigger is still possible in the crappy plastic trigger housing. I was pissed to find out today I can only stone the hammer in my Power Custom series 2 stoning jig. No sear fixture= lame. Should have got the series 1 jig. There's that hind sight we all seem to have when it's to late.

Do those Tac. Sol barrels act weird when they get warm, being they are sleeved? I bet it would be alot nicer to carry around all morning hunting squirrels.

I've used my TacSol barrel in 100+ degree weather this year with no drop in performance. It is really light and significantly lighter than the steel carbine barrel I took off.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: halcyon575</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've used my TacSol barrel in 100+ degree weather this year with no drop in performance. It is really light and significantly lighter than the steel carbine barrel I took off. </div></div>

I mean hot from shooting it. Do POA POI change when it gets warm?

i been wondering about an alternative to the gm 16" myself, id like to have one but about tired of waiting on one to be instock somewhere.

I ended up getting a Tac Sol 16". It really shoots good after 10 fouler shots. No better than factory till it gets dirty. After messing around for 5 hours trying to break it in. I shot a few with out cleaning it and it shot good. Damn near the same .25 "hole at 50y. When I tried 100 I was starting to really like it. 1" with cci 40gr mini mags. My buddy wanted me to try some cci stingers, I caved and the Stingers hit 1" low from POA with my 50y zero at 100y. 3 shots under a inch. I have a what I consider a junk scope on it too. I'm happy. I just wish it shot as good clean, or with 1 fouler shot. Might have been my lucky day at the range too.

Can't go wrong with Kidd barrels, I have shot all types of ammo with it, all with similar results not picky on ammo at all. My Green mountain only likes wolf ammo and CCi standard velocity. I prefer the KIDD ALL DAY LONG!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bink98xcab</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i been wondering about an alternative to the gm 16" myself, id like to have one but about tired of waiting on one to be instock somewhere. </div></div>

Uhhh...GM lists them in stock on their website, might want to check there.

GM Rifle Barrels

Scottsnipe,

May want to give Aguila SE High velocity a try, they work well in GM barrels as well.

Feddersen and don't look back.. HE will even give you a return guarantee. IF it don't shoot the way he advertises send it back.. Trust me it will shoot the way he advertises .. Not finicky on ammo either.. Mine really like Wolf MT and am going to try some CCI SV next. Call and talk to Fred or Gary.

Feddersen

Rick

One wait!! Two words. TONY KIDD. Best barrel i've shot period....
Here are the very first 5 shots out of it at 50yds using cci blazer bulk
Photo0088-1.jpg

Save your money, buy a Kidd or Lilja, and never look back. I killed 4 prairie dogs with 5 shots at 140 yards this weekend with my lilja equipped 10/22. You are correct, the match grade barrels are really going to shine out past 50.

Green mountain makes the best bang for your buck barrels for the 10/22. if you want the best period, KIDD all the way. he uses a proprietary chamber instead of the standard bentz

Kidd for me. My 10/22 shoots inside of most center fire rifles at 100yds. It shoots best with Federal Gold Medal HV. CCI Mini Mags are a close second and are a great hunting bullet.