• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors 10/22 Barrel

Re: 10/22 Barrel

I don't know about AAC, but a much cheaper solution and just about as cool is the tactical solutions short barrel for 10/22. Total length with shroud is 16" so it doesn't need to be registered as NFA, and it accomodates a 1" suppressor inside the shroud. I thought it was a good idea. That is the direction I plan on going when my stamp clears.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=32513/Product/RUGER-reg-10-22-reg-SB-X-BARREL

I shot both thomson machine and yhm, int. Suppressed 10/22 barrels in Dallas at the suppressor shoot. Go with yhm. Thompsons is ported that sucks. Yhm has no porting and sounds great. I shoot another one also that was stupid quiet but it is not out yet.

3D, you state that a ported .22 integral "sucks", interesting.

I would be curious as to why you feel that to be the case?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollingThunder51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">3D, you state that a ported .22 integral "sucks", interesting.

I would be curious as to why you feel that to be the case?

. </div></div>

Your a smart guy. You cant figure it out.
Take both to the range with all types of ammo, record all velocity readings and calculate energy and compare to each other and report back your findings.

If all you want is quiet with all ammo its the ticket.
smile.gif
If you want quiet and performance it sucks. Better designs out there that are much better all around performers.

Ok, I'll give it a whack....

The YHM is not an integral, it is nothing more than what we call a "dedicated can." All they have done is take a standard barrel, cut it back (and not enough to insure subsonic speeds) added a monolithic baffel set and stuffed it all inside a hollow baffle sleeve.

It does not in any way meet the criteria of integral because as we know, an integral sole purpose is to tap gas to insure that a specific bullet is always delivered to the core at subsonic speed. Why is that important? Because the only way one can insure maximum supression values, both the blast as well as the flight signature of the projectile must be attended to. In other words, the YHM is loud, as loud as any supersonic rifle with just a blast can on it shooting supersonics. It is a dedicated blast can rifle. Same for the aluminum barreled, dedicated unit mentioned by ddd above.

Now the Bowers does tap gas, but it too does so with a monolithic stack that is removeable. Whereas it is much quieter in all regards to a dedicated can shooting any supersonic cartridges it has a limitation due to the diameter of its envelope. Because the Bower system utilizes a barrel diameter that fits within a standard Bull Barrel Ruger stock it cannot tap gas and divert a high pressure stream to precharge the stack prior to the arrival of the projectile to that stack. That means that the Bower unit too has some very real limitations.

You can do better than either unit by remembering these simple thoughts:

Integrals tap gas to take a perscribed projectile to a speed that represents the highest possible subsonic velocity. That means maximum suppression while:

1. Maximum Range
2. Maximum Terminal Force
3. Maximum purge pressures
4. Maximum ammo costs efficiencies (subsonics are expensive)
5. The use of plated rounds is made possible (no subsonic has figured out that if you plate the round leading is reduced to the point where seal stacks become practical.)
6. Precharging can be made possible, removing a degree of frp and increasing fr accuracy.
7. And lastly, but most importantly, the envelope can be placed under considerable compression. That makes the barrel significantly more accurate than a standard barrel.

If fact, if you spend the bucks to have an integral and you don't get the qualitites listed above, you are missing out. The Op asked about a true integral, the AAC unit a gas tapper as well. I was just curious why you thought that tapping gas "sucked" as I have yet to see an integral that doesn't.

An integral in .22 represents the quietest and most accurate suppressed rifles currently available. Folks just need to have some sense as to why they cost what they do.

That would be my spin on it.

As mentioned above the Thompson Machine is a true integral 10/22 suppressor and we utilize a user removable mono-baffle. We do in fact port the barrel to reduce the velocity of HV ammo to just under the speed of sound and reduce the sonic crack. Our barrel ports are in the suppressor tube its self , which in addition to reducing the velocity allows a large volume of gas to be cooled reduced in speed before the bullet leaves the suppressor.

As 3d husker mentioned you should chrono our unit compared to others, you will find ours averages 1040 feet per second with high velocity CCI mini mag. This allows you to use any inexpensive 22 and stay subsonic. As far as the unported bbl bieng an advantage it depends on your intended use. If you would like an ear piercing sonic crack every time you shoot or prefer to spend $5 a box on subsonic then have at it. The velocity with our integral unit using CCI subsonic is still a very respectable 940 fps 10 shot average.

As far as sound reduction numbers there are a number of sites where you can find our DB numbers compared to other 10/22 bbls and the other unit mentioned is great but doesnt begin to compare.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3DHUSKER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If all you want is quiet with all ammo its the ticket.
smile.gif
If you want quiet and performance it sucks. Better designs out there that are much better all around performers. </div></div>

Not all ammo, only the ammo it was tuned for,

Works for me....

This integral, sealed can with close to 2,500 rounds down it, ACTs at less than 1/2moa and is silent. Baffels are not monocore but fully face fashioned. Ammo is fair. Barrel is held under compression. For me, a suppressed .22 must be world class quiet and accurate out to 100 yards. I expect nothing more out of a subsonic .22. All five shots in under a minute, bolt action.

P.S. There is no "quiet" with super sonic rounds.

T2.jpg