• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

10/22 Build – Lots of pics

JMBdevotee

Private
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2006
Northern Virginia
So I have had this 10/22 sitting in my safe for a couple years with the intention of building it up as similar to my 700 as possible.
IMG_0669.jpg

When the Boyd stock came up I decided to jump on it. Didn’t have the stock more than 24 hours before I removed the sling studs and replaced them with flush cups:
IMG_0672.jpg

IMG_0674.jpg

IMG_0675.jpg

I knew the factory barrel would not suffice, it didn’t take long before an 18” Kidd was on the way. After a brief test fire it received a coat of Alumahyde II.
IMG_0681.jpg

The next step was to increase the LOP. Being fairly tall I run my precision rifles at 14.5” so the factory length was too short. Also, a coat of OD Rustoleum was in order to get rid of the factory ‘seafoam’ green…
IMG_0684.jpg

IMG_0685.jpg

IMG_0686.jpg

At this point it was getting pretty close...
BigBrother.jpg

Re: 10/22 Build – Lots of pics

Continued…

The ergonomics were better but it needed some stock texturing:
IMG_0734.jpg

IMG_0736.jpg

IMG_0739.jpg

IMG_0740.jpg

Almost there:
IMG_0738.jpg

IMG_0692.jpg

IMG_0691.jpg

70010-22.jpg

Need to pick up an Eagle stock pack for it. Next steps will be to replace the factory base with a RT 20moa base, bedding, bolt release mod, trigger job, real sling(s)...
Need to test some different ammo but I was getting 5 shot 50 yard groups using Federal Gold Medal in the .4’s with the factory trigger at 6lbs.

Still a bit of a work in progress but I’m happy with it thus far.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: djw442</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What are you using to lengthen the LOP? </div></div>

+1. That is the only thing I need on mine!!

I just replicated the spacer kit that McMillan uses. I searched for 3 days calling local industrial supply stores looking for 3/8+" thick plastic sheeting.

I was walking through Home Depot and found 1x2x8' Azek vinyl trim. We will see how it holds up in the long run but it is temperature stable, moisture resistant and works just like wood.

I ripped it down (getting rid of the fake wood grain on the surface) to make two spacers 1/2" thick and two 3/8" thick. I used a table saw to rip it down and rough shape it, hand drill for the screw holes and a palm sander to create the final shape. Hit it with some black paint and it looks pretty good.

I replaced the original screws with 3.5" #8 wood screws.

If you have any other questions let me know. It was the best change I made to the stock for sure.

JMB thats some fantastic looking work you have done there!

Im envious! The rimfire looks amazing in that stock

Thanks for this thread - can you please list a link to where you got that stock? Thanks.

boyds gunstocks. it was a limited run but it will be sold again. get on their e-mailing list and they will let you know when its available. call quick

great looking 10/22

Thanks for the comments.

I was just too late on the first run of these stocks from Boyd so I waited it out and jumped on it as soon as they made another run. Given that they sold out quickly one would think they would be doing another run some time soon.
<span style="font-size: 8pt">There is one for sale on rimfirecentral right now...</span>

Rimfire, wasn't planning on selling it but I'll send you a PM tomorrow.

JMB,

Did you use Marinetex for the grip and forend texturing and if so, what method did you use during the set up to get that texture?

Thx

Nice looking 10/22 there!

Why the 20moa base though? Seems a bit silly to me on a .22lr...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boston</div><div class="ubbcode-body">JMB,

Did you use Marinetex for the grip and forend texturing and if so, what method did you use during the set up to get that texture?

Thx </div></div>

I used Devcon 10110 because I had it around. I taped it off, roughed up the surface with 60 grit, spread the Devcon on nice and thin and let it setup for about 45-60 mins. Then I used the flat side of a plastic knife to 'spike up' the Devcon. I let it sit up for another 60-90 mins, pulled off the tape and hit it with a damp grout sponge to knock down the high spots and contour the edge.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice looking 10/22 there!

Why the 20moa base though? Seems a bit silly to me on a .22lr... </div></div>

Thanks.

Using it as a trainer I want to shoot it out to 200 yards. The optic on it has a 1" tube with 50 MOA (total) of adjustment and it takes 25-26 MOA shooting Federal Gold Metal to get to 200. With the 20 MOA base I should be right in the middle range of elevation adjustment and have plenty adjustment to dial in for windage.

Need to verify my 50 yard zero still has 20+ MOA up however...

LOP extension looks good. I've been thinking about a similar setup myself to get me around 14" or so. I can dig the stock, but it's a little short.

Well I just made some LOP spacers in mine the other day. It was suprisingly easy to make with a scroll saw. Thanks for the idea!!