• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

10/22 Build

JBRIII

Private
Minuteman
Jan 28, 2008
Louisville, KY
Guys,

Took in a 10/22 on a partial trade and am looking to build it up a little at a time. My main objective for this gun will be small game rifle and a trainer for my daughter who has almost outgrown her Crickett .22. I'm not going to go whole hog but definitely want to do a barrel and stock to start. I am thinking tactical solutions and hogue. A buddy said he can do a decent enough trigger job for squirrel action with not a lot of outlay (new sear and polishing work). Still not set on a scope yet, but think a 3-9 or 2-7 of some type ought to work for minute of squirrel.

What are some good options barrel wise that are reasonable? I have read the green mountain's are hit and miss, but really like the pricing.

Re: 10/22 Build

I have never heard "hit or miss" on the GM barrels. Mine was very accurate. Are you going to a .920 barrel? Why not just open up the barrel channel to accomodate a .920 and bed it? My factory barrel wasn't too bad, but certainly not as accurate as the GM. I would try getting the trigger fixed up before I threw a bunch of money at it.

Kidd barrels are VERY good.

I've also had good accuracy from HiDesertDog tactical barrels.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JBRIII</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Still not set on a scope yet, but think a 3-9 or 2-7 of some type ought to work for minute of squirrel.
</div></div>

If you are looking for a inexpensive quality scope I highly recommend the Mueller APT 4.5x14x40. The scope is surprisingly clear and with the 30mm tube it pulls in a ton of light. In comparison with my Nikon buckmaster, identical power range, the Mueller is just slightly less clear at 100 plus yards but then again the scope is also half of the price of the Nikon. The mildot reticle and exposed target turrets make 100yd plus shots much easier. There is a site that sells the scope for $145 but I can't remember who right now. SWFA sells them for $169 unless you get them to match the other site. Either way you will not be disappointed with scope.

I am going .920 for barrel diameter. The gun came in a crapco t6, so it needs to go. Have read about the Meuller's. I'll give them another look. The Green Mountain thing came from someone on here on a thread I was reading. Maybe a fluke. Sure like their price
smile.gif

thanks for all of the help.

I went with the Tactical Solutions barrel and Hogue stock. Compared to the factory stock and factory carbine barrel it is noticeably lighter. Whistlepig gun barrels are the same material and all but ive heard they pull tighter groups. Im happy though. I got the looks of the heavy barrel and i got less that the weight of a standard barrel.

But my gun is my gopher gun and milk jug gun and so far it shoots minute of gopher just fine. ( hoping my new scope will make it shoot minute of gopher even better) I looked at a few green mountain barrels but the ones i looked at were just to heavy for what i wanted.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: badseed</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JBRIII</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Still not set on a scope yet, but think a 3-9 or 2-7 of some type ought to work for minute of squirrel.
</div></div>

If you are looking for a inexpensive quality scope I highly recommend the Mueller APT 4.5x14x40. The scope is surprisingly clear and with the 30mm tube it pulls in a ton of light. In comparison with my Nikon buckmaster, identical power range, the Mueller is just slightly less clear at 100 plus yards but then again the scope is also half of the price of the Nikon. The mildot reticle and exposed target turrets make 100yd plus shots much easier. There is a site that sells the scope for $145 but I can't remember who right now. SWFA sells them for $169 unless you get them to match the other site. Either way you will not be disappointed with scope. </div></div>

Another vote for Mueller, but I have a higher power one for a .22-250. Clarity is excellent (for the price). It's not foggy, or "uncrisp" around the edges either. If you're not looking for differences, you don't find them. To me, it's 90% (or pick a number) of a Nikon for much less cash. The only gripe I have with mine is it doesn't have a side focus, but I LOVE the mil-dots, which the Nikon I was comparing it to, doesn't have.

I did my own trigger job on a Savage once, I was amazed what some polishing and shimming can do. Don't go crazy, just fix obvious things. If there's high spots on the sear or whatever, polish it down a little. If there's side-to-side play, shim it. You get the idea.

I'm no expert, but it isn't rocket surgery, to me, either.

-S

I had a mueller and recommend them without a doubt.

Check out Primary Arms. This is what I currently use on my 10/22's Primary Arms Riflescope

Its got lockable, zeroable turrets and illumination. Mildots calibrated at 10X(which it was higher). 80 MOA of travel which with a 20 MOA scope base is more than I need. Its 30mm and the focus is on the side. Glass is comparable to the Mueller.

I built mine with a GM barrel. My 10/22 is suprisingly accurate in its current state, and I have no complaints about the barrel. I will say that my last one was accurate as well. I used the Hogue nylon stock without the rubberized coating. I spent a few on a VQ trigger with auto bolt release,and R/T charging handle, buffer and adjustable V block. The only issue I had was cycling with subs, and a little polishing on the rear of the bolt and smooth as glass now, reliable and accurate fornot alot of cash outlay.

^^^ Had some "stovepipes" with subsonic match stuff as well. I went to a lighter spring (the white one from KIDD) and issue is completely gone.

I would stay away from the Hogue stock. Theres a lot of flex in them and just don't care for them. I'm in the middle of doing the same thing for my son. Stock reciever, VQ trigger group, VQ bolt on a B&C odyssey stock with a Harris 6-9 bipod. No barrel yet still looking at whats out there.

The Hogue stocks have their place. yes they do flex so i would not put them on a bench rest gun. BUT they are fairly light weight and since they arent wood they wont get scratched up or ruined. If i were building a small game gun i would go with hogue (put the hogue on my 10/22 and its a squirrel gun and plinker mainly) if you are just going for bench rest i would look at a nicer stock.

Saw this on Rimfire central. All these guys had VERY nice guns with VERY nice stocks, but when they were going out in the bushes they almost all said that they own a hogue because it would hold up better and they wont ruin their stocks.