• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

10/22 "DIY" tuning

Radman1

Radman
Minuteman
May 12, 2020
So I am trying to do some tuning myself and wondering if there are spots inside the reciever that the bolt actually contacts ? and would I benefit at all polishing the whole interior of the reciever?

Are you having any issues with your rifle that you are trying to 'tune' to make better? Anything specific to the action cycling? Or are you just tuning for fun and trying to make your rifle 'better' than an off the factory line rifle?

I'm going out on a limb here, but I don't think you'll find the value in spending your time polishing a majority of the interior of that receiver. Not sure what you'll gain. If it were me, and I wanted to know the bolt contact points were smooth, I would look at the marks in the action and correlate them to the bolt, and only polish those points on the bolt - maybe the roof of the action where the top of the bolt slides?

Not really having issues, I just have a problem with always trying to make something that is fine "better". I will take your advice and look for contact marks and smooth those areas.

The paint inside the receiver of my early-2000s 10/22 is pretty much gone from shooting it and scraping the gunk off over the years. I haven't noticed a difference in smoothness or reliability one way or another.

Reactions: Engine15
The paint inside the receiver of my early-2000s 10/22 is pretty much gone from shooting it and scraping the gunk off over the years. I haven't noticed a difference in smoothness or reliability one way or another.
Ya, I was thinking more precision and accuracy than smoothness and reliability. Have been doing a little competition with some friends and am naturally looking for anything to edge ahead of the boys. :)

Get a new barrel Kidd or green mt made all the difference in mine and a trigger always helps the ruger bx is way better than stock and cost 75 bucks

Get a new barrel Kidd or green mt made all the difference in mine and a trigger always helps the ruger bx is way better than stock and cost 75 bucks
Yep, did a Shaw SS helical barrel already and shipped my trigger to Brimstone for some of thier magic.

I put in the Kidd trigger kit in mine. No wait like at Brimstone, gives a nice 1.75-2 lb. pull wt., clean break, with adjustable overtravel. Very easy to install too. Huge improvement over stock. I had never done ANY trigger work before doing this one and it was easy following the provided video.

A friend helped me with my 1st 10/22 build. First thing "we" did was removed the bolt, and barrel, etc., and scrubbed the interior of the receiver with gun scrubber and a green scotch brite pad several times, coated everything with a light film of Mobil 1 oil, installed a Feddersen barrel and went to the range. I've never had a issue of any kind with different types of ammo. Runs like a sewing machine.

Polishing the interior of the receiver and polishing the bolt has no effect on accuracy. Not to my experience. If done incorrectly, it can make feeding and cycling worse.

I've wondered for some time if some sort of lubricant should be applied between the bolt and receiver, be it oil or grease. Do people more knowledgeable than me have any opinions?

I've wondered for some time if some sort of lubricant should be applied between the bolt and receiver, be it oil or grease. Do people more knowledgeable than me have any opinions?
I use CLP on my 10/22 bolts. KIDD came with white grease on the hammer & bolt interface.

OFG