• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

10/22: Lighter spring & bolt more reliable?

rfb

Private
Minuteman
Jun 17, 2011
Seattle
Title says it all. I've read about people using lighter guide rod springs and radiusing their bolts to make subsonic ammo cycle reliably.

I'm thinking of using a Kidd -10% guide spring and radiusing my bolt for using standard ammo. I figure at the very least, it'd speed up lock time and I'm hoping it increases reliability when shooting cheap, inconsistent ammo. I've got a bolt buffer, so I'm not worried about increased metal-on-metal contact.

Any drawbacks to using lighter springs/bolts? Is there any reason not to do this?

Re: 10/22: Lighter spring & bolt more reliable?

Lock time would be trigger based (how long between sear breaking and firing pin being hit), not how the bolt cycles.

If sub sonics are really a problem (they never have been in any standard 10/22 i've owned) then I'd polish the guide rod, maybe polish the bolt, and polish the inside of the receiver. Especially on the new ones with the krinkle paint finish...

Erp, meant cyclic rate, not lock time. And this would be for standard ammo, not subsonics. Is there any reason not to use a lighter spring?

i personally like the factory recoil spring/guide assembly. I break them in with a brick of automatch then use standard velocity or subs. never had a problem. i had a kidd recoil setup with the light spring. it worked great. i just like how easy it is to put the factory recoil guide back together in the bolt. seems like i was always scraping the kidd guide rod on the face of my clark barrel when putting everything back together.