• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

10/22 modifications

Cycotic1

Private
Minuteman
Sep 1, 2023
Shreveport
I’m wanting to make my 10/22 trigger assembly smoother with a clean break. Has anyone tried this? Can it be done? What items do I need to modify or replace?

Volquartsen, Kidd, or Brimstone trigger kit/work. Or just be done with it and either send it to CPC (Connecticut Precision Chamber) or install a full Kidd single or two stage trigger assembly. IMO anything else is a waste of time and $. I have yet to meet anyone who modified factory trigger parts themselves and was satisfied with the results.

Reactions: Westcoast308
Save some headache and just get a drop-in... They didn't offer these back 20+ years ago when I originally built my 10/22... Wish they had. But I do have all Volquartsen internals and trigger parts in it. Made a huge difference over stock.

Reactions: doubloon
I 100% agree with BX for the value trigger improvement and Kidd if you want the best.

I’m very happy with the volquartsen TG2000 in an “accurate-plinker” setup (it’s a crisp 2.5lb) and you can find them around $200 regularly but I don’t think it’s light enough pull for serious precision competition. I’ve got this in a TacSol takedown that is my go-to rifle for plinking around the ranch, I’d say it’s a pretty big upgrade from the BX.

A high-middle option might be the Power Custom trigger parts. I think you can find them around $100 or less, and I’m happy with the one set I used. I would say it’s not quite Kidd good, but it’s right there with the VQ. The not-insignificant downside here is the 10/22 trigger pack is a good bit more complicated to fiddle with than say, an AR trigger and you have to re-use your factory trigger housing…. There is a reason most 10/22 triggers are sold as “drop-in” rather than parts kit. My advice would be to watch a video or two before you decide to take that route… and don’t take it at all if you don’t consider yourself mechanically inclined. You can save $100-ish over the VQ assuming you have some basic gunsmithing tools and skills… or you can waste $100 on parts and $100 on punches/hammers/blocks and several hours of your life cussing trying to put them in 😂

Reactions: doubloon
Another option is to get a Kidd upgrade kit; still uses the factory housing but replaces internal parts. I would get everything; upgrade kit, plunger & spring, auto bolt release, mag release...of course by the time you do that you'll wish you just got a drop in Kidd full trigger; they are the best.

Reactions: mettee
I didn’t realize Kidd parts were available outside the trigger pack. That would be a good option… but you’d be at $200 of parts in your stock plastic housing plus the assembly hassle vs a $285 drop-in. I think I’d go drop-in at that point too.

These look like pretty solid prices with Labor Day sale…

I didn’t realize Kidd parts were available outside the trigger pack. That would be a good option… but you’d be at $200 of parts in your stock plastic housing plus the assembly hassle vs a $285 drop-in. I think I’d go drop-in at that point too.

These look like pretty solid prices with Labor Day sale…

I bought a VQ TG2000 originally to put in my 10/22 Target, the holes didn't line up with the receiver to put the pins in that hold it in place...hopefully it was just a one off defect, but I sent it back for a refund and bought a Kidd single stage, dropped right in. I was so happy with that trigger that I've bought 5 more full Kidd rifles; two for me and one for each of my daughters and SiL.

I bought a VQ TG2000 originally to put in my 10/22 Target, the holes didn't line up with the receiver to put the pins in that hold it in place...hopefully it was just a one off defect, but I sent it back for a refund and bought a Kidd single stage, dropped right in. I was so happy with that trigger that I've bought 5 more full Kidd rifles; two for me and one for each of my daughters and SiL.
Frustrating for sure!
My TG2000 dropped right in to my Tactical Solutions X-Ring rifle.

Sounds like Kidd might be the better bet, not much more expensive and they seem widely regarded as the best 10/22 triggers. I wonder if TriggerTech has one in the works?

The kidd kit will work very well, it requires no special tools to install.

I’m wanting to make my 10/22 trigger assembly smoother with a clean break. Has anyone tried this? Can it be done? What items do I need to modify or replace?
The CPC https://www.ct-precision.com/ is outstanding for cheap too. Far superior to the BX, I love Timney triggers and put them in everything but the CPC is so good I didn’t bother. Randy can also tune your whole rifle too well worth the money if you have a target setup. People love Brimstone as well never played with one. Save that absolute finest trigger for your long range centerfire then it’s a cut above your other rigs.

Reactions: mettee
Search online for a BX trigger. They can be found for between $58 to $75. Send it to Brimstone Gunsmithing. For another $85 they can smooth it out, get a crisp trigger pull to about 2 1/2 lbs. as well as a different trigger. Many happy customers.

I've been down this whole rabbit hole. Started years ago with full VQ internals, then added the power custom sear to take out pre-travel/creep. It's on the upper end of mediocre/good compared to my Tikka factory triggers (great IMHO for the money) with a simple spring change. If it's for a dedicated target gun, I'd get a KIDD drop-in unit and not look back.

Reactions: din