• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

10/22 plinker/target optic advice

not_ragu_sauce

Private
Minuteman
Mar 23, 2022
NJ
Looking to put a new scope on my 10/22, which is currently a fairly simple build with a TacSol 16.5" barrel, factory receiver, factory bolt, X22 stock, Kidd drop in trigger and other various internal upgrades. Currently I've got an Athlon Talos BTR 1-4x24 on it on a 15moa TacSol pic rail.

I've settled on 2 optics and was curious of others opinions on them

1. Athlon Helos BTR Gen 2 2-12x42 with the Mil reticle

2. Swampfox Kentucky Long 2-12x44 with the Recce Mil reticle
Both are right around the price point I want to stay at, and I like that magnification range since it goes nice and low for indoor range plinking and shooting on my grandfathers property, and 12x should be adequate for 100-200yd in my opinion

I'm leaning towards the Athlon because I would say its a more reputable company, and from what I've heard and read on here the turrets are great, the reticle is pleasant to use (plus my wife really likes fancy reticles so she'll love shooting that lol), its a tad shorter, and has a zero stop

But the Swampfox is a tad lighter, I think it has more internal travel, and can be had for cheaper with Swampfox's coupon codes

I have been looking at the btr as well,im wondering if its usable at 2-4 power or to fine,as well as customer service.

if you are trying to do some precise shooting that Athlon's 1 MOA dot is huge. I mean, you have a good barrel, Kidd trigger...I would think you want to see how accurate your rig is. I would also want a little more power to see the holes in the paper (when you are at the range). Athlon has many other cool scopes. But I guess for plinking, should be ok. For me, I like power...and you said you are shooting out to 200...MOAR power lol.

if you are trying to do some precise shooting that Athlon's 1 MOA dot is huge. I mean, you have a good barrel, Kidd trigger...I would think you want to see how accurate your rig is. I would also want a little more power to see the holes in the paper (when you are at the range). Athlon has many other cool scopes. But I guess for plinking, should be ok. For me, I like power...and you said you are shooting out to 200...MOAR power lol.

Ive thought about that with the size of the dot which is a bit of a downfall, I cant find the size of the center dot on the Swampfox reticle so its hard to compare. And yeah more power would be good but I really like the 2-12x magnification range, specifically because it goes down to 2x for short range plinking, Ive looked at 3-18x and 4-20x but I keep coming back to the 2-12x for some reason. Gonna be a bit before I pick a scope up but I am leaning towards the Athlon

Check out Arkan also.

Ive actually got a SH4 g2 4-16 on my 18" AR and thought about getting another for the 10/22 but its a tad huge and I was hoping for something more compact. And Ive already got a good set of 30mm rings on the 10/22 that I'd be too lazy to swap out haha

Reactions: usafa77