• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

10/22 scope base help!

saburai

Private
Minuteman
Dec 3, 2012
Hello All!

I'm needing some advice on which scope base to get for a 10/22 build. Right now the rifle has a Bushnell 6-24x40 Banner Mil dot on it with a 0 MOA base. I'm considering upgrading to a SS 16X42 or some other better quality glass as I'd like to be able to see the holes I'm making...
Anyway, I'm thinking it would be good to build some MOA in to the base. I'd like to shoot out to 300 and maybe further. But, I'd prefer not to lose the ability too shoot close up. So I guess what I'm asking is will 5 MOA do it? Would 20 MOA kill close up ability? Sorry for the FNG questions! I've got a lot to learn...

Many Thanks!

Re: 10/22 scope base help!

10/22's have so much barrel droop that you could almost definitely get a zero with a 45 moa base. I'd get the most cant I could. I have a 15 moa Tactical Solutions rail on mine but I definitely could use more.

My custom 10/22 using a Force receiver (same as KIDD) has a threaded barrel without a V-block so droop isn't as much of an issue as it is with the V-block. Even with the threaded barrel/receiver I machined a custom 50MOA base. The Bushnell 3-12 x 44 FFP scope on the rifle has 21 mils of elevation and with the 50MOA base the 50Y zero is 2.8 mils up from the bottom of the scope's travel.

If you have a V-block barrel it's going to have some amount of droop in it-- I'd put on at least a 20MOA and probably a 30MOA base if you plan on shooting out to 300Y or further. If you use ammo like Wolf match target it takes about 14 mils to get out to 300Y from a 50Y zero, so you're going to want a scope with a lot of elevation travel and also a base that puts the scope near it's mechanical limits at your zero distance.

Thanks Guys! With a 20 MOA Base will I still be able to shoot close range? 25 yds to teach fundamentals to the GF?

yes you can still get a 25 yard zero.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yes you can still get a 25 yard zero. </div></div>
Many Thanks!