• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

10-22 upgrade

ramrod197

Private
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2008
Mt Airy Maryland USA
I have an older ruger 10 22 and i want to upgrade it. Dont have alot of money too put into it , but i need to know if there is much of a difference in aftermarket barrels, triggers and stocks. Looking too shoot 1 min at 100yds. and where is the best place to buy them for the money.Thanks

Brian

Re: 10-22 upgrade

Getting a 10/22 to do what you want can take a bit of work. The short answer to your question is yes, those things that you mentioned do make a difference and there is a difference among all of the different brands offered.

First you have to realize that what you are talking about doing is much easier said than done. A standard velocity .22 round will drift 1" at 50 yards in a 10 mph wind. At 100 it's 2 to 3 times that much.

Skill aside, all it takes is the right hardware and assembly to get your there. What stock do you have right now? If you have a wood stock, you can just use that. Just pillar bed the action screw lug and bed the receiver.

What do you mean when you say that you don't have a lot of money? That's kind of a subjective statement. How much do you want to spend?

I'd say that a Kidd barrel would be a good place to start.

Before you buy a barrel or stock you may want to start with things that you can do your self like polishing and stoning the trigger yourself. This can easily drop the trigger pull buy a couple of pounds. If not buy a power custom hammer and sear group. This can drop trigger pull to 3.5 lbs.

http://powercustom.com/store/index.php?m...d1536bfab95ed9b

OR go with a Kidd trigger system for $$$ best in the market and also a barrel and a receiver.

http://www.coolguyguns.com/

Here is a site.... this is where I built mine:

http://www.eabco.com/102201.html

019.jpg

Tony thanks. I have some big stuff to shoot 1000yds nicely. but i am laid off and cant afford to shoot those much .so i am looking to biuld my 1022 under $400 if i can bc ammo is cheap and i can go to the range for aday of fun for 40 bucks. dont have a stock yet but i like the one in the other pic

ramrod, I would suggest that you go over to rimfirecentral.com and look in the stock 10/22 section. If you know where to look, you can do some good things with all stock parts, as long as you aren't expecting benchrest accuracy.

As I mentioned, you can bed the lug and receiver and that won't cost you anything but the price of some jb weld or other good epoxy. You could then have your existing barrel rechambered and recrowned (assuming that it is long enough), your headspace set right and your trigger worked over. I'm thinking maybe a couple hundred bucks. Or you could spend the $175 on a Kidd barrel and then have the rest of your stock parts worked on.

For casual shooting, I think you'd be happy.

http://www.ct-precision.com/ruger10-22.html This guy, Randy, will address most of problems of the 10/22 for around 200$....chamber, crown, headspace, pin the firing pin, and a nice trigger with overtravel stop,ect.Cheaper in the long run than chasing down a bunch of parts only to find that you need the next thing...I would get a barrel in a profile that I liked first , like a used Green Mtn..920x 20" or 18 " and bolt it on and send it in for the work instead of the stock barrel not that the stock barrels can't be made to shoot, but I don't know what your tastes are...The biggest problem with the stock barrels is the chamber...Find a used stock on Gun Broker or Rimfire Central trading post..and bed it...Depending on your $$$ you can even have him screw on the barrel,Mo Better, so get a barrel you like...Read for info and determine what you like...this stuff is like expensive penny candy. Randy has done 3 of mine. I have 10...only 1 is stock.

Randy at CPC is a magician with the 10/22. I had a $600 Clark 10/22 that still had an occasional flyer and not the tightest groups.

It is a joy to shoot after Randy worked his magic. Consistent enough that I know fliers are my fault........

While your 10/22 is at Rany's order a tacticool stock from Boyds and the ergonomics will be similar to your 308.

Assuming you have optics you should have about $100 left for ammo

Another vote for Randy at CPC... he worked over both my 10/22s. On the iron sighted gun he just did his standard bolt & trigger group work and on the scoped gun he did the bolt work, trigger work, and receiver/barrel threading.

A bit of experience here... if you plan on "reaching out" with your 10/22 have Randy thread the barrel and receiver and eliminate the V-block. I didn't notice a difference in groups at 50-75Y between the V-block and threaded barrel/receiver but as I moved the target further away it was apparent that the threaded barrel/receiver shoots more consistently. The reduction in group size and group to group consistency at 100Y was slight but noticeable and at 150Y-200Y it was <span style="font-style: italic">very</span> noticeable. This is with the same receiver and barrel.

Actually there can be a lot of things done to a Ruger 10/22 to make them shoot better. However as with a lot of things now days it costs $$$ to achieve this.

I have built a few 10/22's for guys around here. To me there are a few things that are required to make a 10/22 shoot good.

To start with is the Barrel. I have had great results using Green Mountain Barrels. I feel they offer a really good barrel for the $$$ spent. I have built 4 10/22's (3 of which were set in a Nordic Components AR-22 Receiver Chassis with AR-15 Buttstocks, Pistol Grips and Free Float Tubes, and 1 that was in a Revolution Thumbhole Laminated Wood Stock) using Green Mountain 20" Fluted Stainless Steel Bull Barrels. To attach these barrels to the 10/22 Receiver I used the Tactical Solutions V Block that is designed to help eliminate barrel droop. As a side note I also milled off the bottom of the Tactical Solutions V Block so it does not protrude below the bottom of the 10/22 receiver, otherwise the Tactical Solutions V Block can hold the bottom of the 10/22 Receiver off of the stock.

All 4 of these 10/22's shoot way better than I thought a 10/22 could shoot.

I have done a few trigger jobs on 10/22's using either the Factory Parts (polished per instructions at Rimfire Central) and or using Volquartsen Target Hammers together with polishing. I have come to the conclusion that the best $100.00 spent is to send the trigger group to TT Shooter for one of his Precision Trigger Jobs.

Next up would be bedding the receiver and or free floating the barrel. With the Nordic Components AR-22 Receiver Chassis the Barrels are totally free floated. On the Laminated Wood Stocks I only free float the front portion of the barrels approximately starting 2" to 3" in front of the V Block and floating the barrel from that point forward.

I have also had the headspace set on my 10/22 Bolts via milling off the front of the bolt face to get the recess for the cartridge head at the proper depth in the bolt face. I also chamfer and polish the lower rear surface of the bolt to provide smoother cycling of the bolt with Standard Velocity Ammo (I also add a Tuffer Buffer Recoil Buffer in conjunction with the Bolt Chamfering). Lastly I have had my bolts drilled and pinned to keep the firing pin from riding up as the firing pin strikes the rim of the cartridge.

BullBarrelNordic10-22.jpg

This is just one of the Ruger / Nordic 10/22's I have built.

BullBarrelNordic10-22Receiver.jpg

NordicAR-22ReceiverChassis.jpg

This shows the Nordic Components AR-22 AR-22 Receiver Chassis Kit.

Good luck with your project.

Larry

I did a rather cheap build that had great accurate results. Volquartzen barrel and trigger group with a little stoning, boyds stock, with cheap bushnell scope.
IMG_0802.jpg

Sent my trigger group to TTSHOOTER.
GM bbl and receiver to Randy@CPC
Bedded the stock myself with help from RFC.
Added a Mag charging handle, scope and sling.
With Wolf MT a sub-MOA rifle out to 100yds.
Total investment with $200 scope--$900.
My stock CZ American will shoot sub-MOA out to 200yds.
Total investment with $200 scope--$550.

Coach

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ramrod197</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mite be putting more money in it then i wanted </div></div>

That tends to happen with a 10/22. There's just so many things available for them, that it's just too easy to keep buying for them. I think that it's why there are so many people out there who own multiples in different configurations.

1 moa at 100 yards doesn't really need to cost a lot though. You can get away without a trigger group by replacing the hammer and sear with a Power Customs or VQ. You can get away with not buying a new bolt by having your current bolt re-worked. Que did mine https://sites.google.com/site/quesplace/ and it was every bit worth that $50. Even the original stock can get you there. Remove the barrel band and fabricate (or buy) some sort of pillar to pillar bed it. The most expensive part will be on the barrel. Sure you can send the OEM barrel out to have the chamber re-worked, but that's about the same expense as a Green Mountain barrel.

These can be had for around $200, but doesn't need to be bought all at once. The thing about the 10/22 is that it can be upgraded piece be piece. You could start with the barrel (low $100) and do the stock ($0). Move to the hammer ($25), then sear ($30). Pillar ($5 ish). And finally move to the bolt ($50). It doesn't hurt the pocket book all at once doing it this way.

Cheap and easy build. Got the Stock and Barrel combo for $50 on Gunbroker It'll do 1 MOA @ 100
Butler Creek Barrel and Stock Combo
Timney Trigger Group
Harris S 6-9
BSA TMD 4x14x44-30 mil-mil FFP
Burriss Signature Zee Rings
EGW 20 MOA Base
EABCO Firing Pin
Tactical Solutions V-Block

53196062.jpg

I did a relatively cheap 10-22 build and it shoots great. Green Mt barrel, hogue stock, Mueller APT scope, and trigger by Bill Springfield (he got it to about 3 lbs for $39) in Colorado. 50 yds will put them in a ragged hole. 100 yards is a little more work as the wind becomes a big factor. And am using match ammo to get best groups.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gixxerk8</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I did a rather cheap build that had great accurate results. Volquartzen barrel and trigger group with a little stoning, boyds stock, with cheap bushnell scope.
IMG_0802.jpg
</div></div>

This is sweet looking. I want to build my wife a rifle like this.

i have a clark barrel on mine with power custom trigger parts. at 25y its well under .2". my wifes kidd barreled clark triggered 10/22 and it shoots the same with the same lot of wolf mt. both have unmodified bolts and are in revolution laminated stocks.

i built her rifle first with all new parts and i have around $700 in it. i built mine with all used parts except the stock and i got a new clark barrel off gunbroker for $90, so i only have around $500 in it.

IMG_0307.jpg

if i built a very budget one, i would send the barrel off to nemohunter or cpc and put power custom or clark trigger parts in it and call it a day. one of my buddies wants to build one on the cheap so thats how we will probably do it. should have less than $190 in parts in it by the time its all said and done if you reuse your stock. should hold MOA out to 100y with a decent load.

Shooting my 10-22 today with green tag competition ammo at 100 yards. Relatively inexpensive upgrade. Ten shot group. No wind at all.
ruger10-22.jpg

I'd say that a Kidd barrel would be a good place to start. [/quote said:
+1 Kidd barrels are SUPER accurate. I have one that shoots .5 moa @100 yds w/ Wolf Target ammo. It is boringly accurate. I stoned the bolt and added a Volquartsen charging handle which also helps. Volquartsen barrels are also very good, my squirrel gun w/ 16" shoots a solid 1moa with almost any ammo. I honestly had shot around 45 squirrels from 5-75 yds with only one miss, 95% were in the eye. Squirrel gun below.
1022002-1.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ramrod197</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have an older ruger 10 22 and i want to upgrade it. Dont have alot of money too put into it , but i need to know if there is much of a difference in aftermarket barrels, triggers and stocks. Looking too shoot 1 min at 100yds. and where is the best place to buy them for the money.Thanks

Brian </div></div>

You weren't too specific other than "upgrading". Barrel changes are easy. Green Mountain and others are known to improve accuracy. I put a Hogue tan stock and Tactical Solutions threaded barrel/compensator on for relatively cheap (forget the actual cost). I went with a threaded barrel for my .22 suppressor. An extended mag release is a good thing to have. The Simmons 22 Mag scope was recommended here and is a cheap yet decent rimfire option.

DSC_0100-1.jpg

I built one off a stock action.
PC trigger parts polished
GM 20" barrel
B&C Stock
Nikko Sterling scope Warne rings

DSCN3398.jpg