• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

10/22 what to do?

tireys

StealthMode223
Minuteman
Mar 4, 2009
Show Me State
I am getting a $100 10/22 from a guy at work. I would like to give it a face lift from the standard Ruger wood stock and barrel. I don't want to build a completely new custom .22 but a good shootin, reliable plinker, squirrel huntin rig. Any ideas?

Re: 10/22 what to do?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: StealthMode223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am getting a $100 10/22 from a guy at work. I would like to give it a face lift from the standard Ruger wood stock and barrel. I don't want to build a completely new custom .22 but a good shootin, reliable plinker, squirrel huntin rig. Any ideas? </div></div>

A good stock. here's a good place to start.
http://www.shootersdiscount.com/cart/index.php?_a=viewCat&catId=8
They also carry barrels and have a good selection.
http://www.shootersdiscount.com/cart/index.php?_a=viewCat&catId=2
and a Power Custom hammer & sear would round out helping with the trigger group.
http://www.shootersdiscount.com/cart/index.php?_a=viewCat&catId=30

Get a GM barrel, a Power Custom sear and trigger, and do the rest yourself - polish action, bolt, do the auto bolt release mod, hog out the stock for the GM barrel, bed the action, pillar bed the take down screw, mod the stock if you want, etc.

As Ivanthesane says...the standard wood stock works well if modified by bedding, etc. I have had no happiness with the Hogue. Too bendy and pressure points where they shouldn't be...and hard to change. Others seem to like them. With a GM barrel and mods as described I get consistent 3/8 inch 10 shot groups at 50 yards. I have found Wolf to be best in mine with Aguila second. Check out "Rimfire Central" for lots of good information. JMHO

go over to rimfirecentral.com, there is more stuff available than you could imagine, but barrel would probably be the best upgrade.

Here is a 10/22 $25.00 stock. The only other investment is a few hours of your time, but if you like doing things on your rifles yourself, it's fun.

Standard stock
e9zntt.jpg

Sanded to suit.
xm9au9.jpg

Stained, sealed and clear coated
nmcnqr.jpg

You can make your standard stock work and look great for very little cost and that is money that you can then put into a barrel or an optic. I do the 10/22 trigger work on my own as well and that is also a huge money saver compared to buying an aftermarket assembly.

There are LOTS of options out there. Check out Rimfire Central. This is the way I went and could not be happier.

TrailBlazer Stock Lots of color options here. I have one this color and one actual walnut of the same stock.

Randy @ CPC Click on 10/22 then send Randy the action and $200

Then put an little Simmons or Leupold on it and shoot it till you get tired of smiling. Be careful though they are addictive. I often wish I had one "do it all" 10/22 and had not caught the bug.

GM

inthehills, whats the $200 for? i read the site and bolt work is only $55 with shipping. what all did you get done? just curious, ive got three id like to tweak

Send the barrel to nemo over at rimefirecentral.com and have him do his re-work to it. You'll be amazed at the results. I have a couple of his re-worked barrels and highly recommend his work. Or find a GM barrel you like..... There are so many aftermarket parts for a 10/22 and a combination of any of them along with some mods and you will have a sweet shootin' .22

Add a Hammer & Spring to lighten the trigger
Do the Auto-Bolt release mod (2 minutes with a dremel)
Extended Magazine Release
Barrel (Green Mountain, Volquartsen, Kidd Innovative Design, Tactical Solutions)
Stock (Houge is too narrow for my shooting hand)
Bed action and or barrel only if you need it (some don't)

Shoot the heck out of it.

If you get even more serious have the action done.

Ammo is the key in these!

One of these will get you most of the way there without going completely off the deep end. Do this then give a thought to internal parts based on your experience with the existing improvements and your personal preferences.

This scope will provide a very good compromise between capability and cost.

For optics mounting, a factory rail with spacers under the rear to find a height that puts the 50ft zero about 5moa up from dead bottom elevation adjustment, then use epoxy to bed the base to the receiver at that angle.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rimfire</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Send the barrel to nemo over at rimefirecentral.com and have him do his re-work to it. You'll be amazed at the results. I have a couple of his re-worked barrels and highly recommend his work. Or find a GM barrel you like..... There are so many aftermarket parts for a 10/22 and a combination of any of them along with some mods and you will have a sweet shootin' .22 </div></div>

+1

Then add a piller bed, PC kit, true bolt face, and shoot. SK ammo has worked best for me. Wolf is ok but try them all. Like RicosRevenge said ammo is key.