• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

10.5" Barrel suggestions.

deadnbrkn84

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2011
Portland, OR
I'm building my SBR right now and am just about to send off the paperwork to the ATF and had a couple quick questions.

First, I think I'm going to do a 10.5" and I want it to be as accurate as possible so for that I've been thinking a Noveske barrel. Form what I've heard the 10.5" hold their own very well. Does anyone have any other suggestions for barrels in comparable quality?

Second, when the ATF is asking on the forms for the barrel length I'm assuming that they mean with out the flash suppressor correct?

Thanks so much!

Re: 10.5" Barrel suggestions.

Just got my SBR stamp. Form listed barrel length as it is, 10.5". ATF only counts the FH if it's pinned which would be silly on an SBR.

I've heard good things about the Noveske. I went with an LMT MRP. Got both a 16" barrel to use whilst waiting 4 months for the Form 1 to clear, then when the stamp arrived, 5 minutes later I dropped in the 10.5" barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadnbrkn84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm building my SBR right now and am just about to send off the paperwork to the ATF and had a couple quick questions.

First, I think I'm going to do a 10.5" and I want it to be as accurate as possible so for that I've been thinking a Noveske barrel. Form what I've heard the 10.5" hold their own very well. Does anyone have any other suggestions for barrels in comparable quality?

Second, when the ATF is asking on the forms for the barrel length I'm assuming that they mean with out the flash suppressor correct?

Thanks so much! </div></div>

I have three Noveske SS SBR barrels. 7.5" 10.5" & 12.5" They really are fantastic barrels and you cant go wrong by going Noveske. The 10.5" & 12.5" have both shot near MOA with 77 SMK. The 7.5 about 3 MOA with Aimpoint 2MOA dots. Needless to say they are more accurate than an SBR needs to be for their intended purpose. I'm sure if I mounted a real scope on them that they would do better but that's not what I need out of them.

Good luck with your SBR endeavors.

Until that day,
Darkop

Awesome, pretty much what I had figured but wanted to get confirmation. Really not looking forward to this wait....

I really like my LMT 10.5 & 12.5 and have also heard great things about Noveskes. That will be what I get next.

Go with Noveske. I now have four Noveske barrels and all of them are sub moa, even my 12.5 chrome lined. I wouldn't get a stainless steal target barrel for an SBR. I would only go with a chrome lined for a carbine, especially if you are going to be doing a high volume/ high rate of fire. Noveske also has the finest chrome lined barrels. The chrome lining is the same thickness of a SAW barrel... Rainier Arms has them in stock. I would also go with the pinned gas block.

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=2213

I went with the LMT complete 10.5" upper and have been pleasently surprised at its accuracy and durability to some hard use. The one thing I might reconsider if doing it again is going with a lighter contour instead of the XH barrel. A SBR sure does make it nice when negotiating obstacles and working in tight spaces. With the AAC M4 2000 installed it is still very managable and while a little muzzle heavy it generates little muzzle rise. Having shot friends Noveske's I don't believe you will be disappointed in either one.

Noveske is definitely a very good choice. I ran a DD hammer forged 10.5. Its a solid barrel. Near MOA with an Eotech at 100.

Got a pair of LMT 10.5" barrels, one for the MRP.
No POI shift when heating up, excellent accuracy, suppressor use flawlessly.

White Oak? I just finished putting together a rifle for a friend using their 16 barrel and it's shooting very well. They have a 10.5" version which looks like it has the same chamber and twist for 259$.

If money isn't an issue, you'd be well served going with Noveske. I have a 16" Reece Upper and have been very please with it. My second choice would be a LMT. Either one should prove to be good shooter with the right load.

Please post a pic of your build when you get your tax stamp.

i've been running DD 10.3" barrels for a while. i haven't had the pleasure of shooting a noveske, but from my experience, you won't be disappointed with a DD barrel.

would it be odd to ask where they measure the barrel length? end to end? muzzle to extension? or flange forward to muzzle. just curious.

Noveske +1

Bertman shilen makes raineers barrels? didnt know that i learned my factf ro the day
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">would it be odd to ask where they measure the barrel length? end to end? muzzle to extension? or flange forward to muzzle. just curious.
</div></div>

end to end.

Noveske quality is excellent. I have one of his 14.5" chrome-lined carbines that has run 100% in a couple of carbine courses. I have also observed his 10.5" uppers with the krink-type muzzle device (KX3) that ran well. The krink (aka "flaming pig") is very effective at directing blast forward and possibly improving reliability with low-pressure ammo, but it is also relatively long and heavy and not the best flash suppressor.

Noveske's stainless barrels with the polygonal rifling tend to chrono a bit faster than conventionally-rifled barrels. Wes Grant posted some velocities a few years ago that showed the 12.5" barrel velocities being comparable to typical 14.5" velocities. Some have had issues with the Noveske match chamber and MIL-spec ammo. This can be rectified by reaming with Ned Christiansen's excellent tool, which will result in a true 5.56 chamber for improved reliability in hard use.

The 12.5" barrel with a conventional flash suppressor is not a bad way to go as compared with a 10.5"+KX3

The Levang linear comp may be a good alternative to the KX3 pig.

I have witnessed reliability issues in multiple LMT 10.3" uppers, particularly when shooting SAAMI-spec ammo. LMT gas ports are sized for MIL-spec ammo. YMMV.

I would recommend taking a hard look at Bravo Company's 11.5" barrel / upper. There is a thread stickied on the BCM subforum of arfcom regarding why Paul chose the 11.5" Commando-length barrel versus the 10.3" Mk 18.

If you are going to always run a can on the shorty, then you may have few issues other than bolt life, but keep in mind that without a can the muzzle blast can be fierce in an enclosed structure, especially for your teammates.

You measure without the flash suppressor attached. IIRC, you can measure the length by sticking a rod down the barrel with the bolt carrier in battery.

I would also go with the Noveske. I have a Noveske barrel on one of my SBRs, and I'm very impressed with it. The rigidity and accuracy are outstanding. The only downside is the added weight due to it being a match barrel contour.
Noveske also makes a CHF barrel, but you have to call them direct to get it. It's an another option besides their SS barrels. It'll help with weight reduction while still getting their build quality.
If you want something lighter still, consider the Daniel Defense Mk18 10.3" CHF barrel. It's a fantastic barrel, and it's a Gov't Profile, so it'll be lighter for good maneuverability. For a recreational gun, weight doesn't matter as much. However, if you ever take any training or do extended shooting with the rifle, the old adage of "Ounces equal pounds, and pounds equal pain" becomes apparent very quickly.

If you do go with a barrel that short, make sure to get an H2 buffer or the Spike's Tactical ST-T2 buffer, and an extra-power recoil spring, like one from Sprinco.com. Also, get an extra-power 5-coil extractor spring. That will ensure reliability while compensating for the higher bolt speeds/gas pressure.

I think a Noveske is the best choice if cash isnt a concern,and from the things i've read about the quality and accuracy of those short 10.5 and 12.5,they are right up there with heavy h bar 20 inchers! i think the stainless could only be a plus too. another thing to consider would be getting it with their switch block gas regulator,for suppressor use later on if you decide. as far as your paperwork goes,i believe you can register it in the shortest bbl you would ever possibly install. i think the law says its ok to go longer than registered but never shorter. but call atf to be sure!

I am going to recommend against Noveske.

Having owned several SBR uppers, and some of those had stainless match barrels or N4 uppers, etc, I think that a lightweight chromed barrel is best for the SBR.

First a SBR is best employed like a longer ranged SMG. Placing large optics and match barrels on them does work, but in the end is kinda silly. A chrome lined barrel will be accurate enough for fast short to medium ranged fighting, and that is what the SBR will be best at.

Second, SBRs are hard on barrels, bolts, etc. Expect shorter parts life, potentially reduced reliability, shorter barrel life, etc. IIRC the Navy figured the lifespan on a MK18 was about 5000 rounds. Suppressor use will be harder on a gun, full auto too. On these short guns the gas port on the barrel erode fast. If you are going to be shooting full auto, some stainless barrels will not survive long.

Third, weight. With lights, optics, accessories, our AR15s become fat pigs fast. Adding 5-10 oz on the barrel is noticeable. Even something like a Noveske N4 barrel (same weight when 16 in as compared to a M4 barrel, however the weight is mostly under the handguards), when chopped to 10.5 will be heavier then a chopped M4 barrel. I would recommend keeping a SBR light and fast.

Or, you could buy a heavier stainless barrel, throw a big scope on your rifle, and shoot nice tight groups on paper.
DSCI0259.JPG

2011-02-20%25252013.40.39.jpg

One question, do you plan on going suppressed, ever? If so I would lean towards the 11.5 to keep that suppressor in good shape, the baffles that is. I asked the same question about barrel length for the first sbr.
I also, find, and i know i will hear all kinds of stuff on this, but my shorter barrels are more accurate, with lower velocities, but I hand load rounds and get a more complete powder burn out of the 11.5 so that is prutty optimal in my books both suppressed and not.
So ammo becomes a bigger deal with the shorter barrels, I find 4198 is awsome through all my ars, but tallor make a hand load for the sbr, youll find it funny how accurate it is with minimal speeds lost.
Hope my two $0.02 helped.
I dont know how to post a pic of mine on this sight yet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Postal0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am going to recommend against Noveske.

Having owned several SBR uppers, and some of those had stainless match barrels or N4 uppers, etc, I think that a lightweight chromed barrel is best for the SBR.

First a SBR is best employed like a longer ranged SMG. Placing large optics and match barrels on them does work, but in the end is kinda silly. A chrome lined barrel will be accurate enough for fast short to medium ranged fighting, and that is what the SBR will be best at.

Second, SBRs are hard on barrels, bolts, etc. Expect shorter parts life, potentially reduced reliability, shorter barrel life, etc. IIRC the Navy figured the lifespan on a MK18 was about 5000 rounds. Suppressor use will be harder on a gun, full auto too. On these short guns the gas port on the barrel erode fast. If you are going to be shooting full auto, some stainless barrels will not survive long.

Third, weight. With lights, optics, accessories, our AR15s become fat pigs fast. Adding 5-10 oz on the barrel is noticeable. Even something like a Noveske N4 barrel (same weight when 16 in as compared to a M4 barrel, however the weight is mostly under the handguards), when chopped to 10.5 will be heavier then a chopped M4 barrel. I would recommend keeping a SBR light and fast.

</div></div>

Noveske double chrome lines their barrels to the same thickness as that of a SAW barrel. So then a Noveske would be the best choice.

The weight you are speaking of is very negligible if at all.
Also, every Noveske barrel I have owned has been sub MOA, even the chrome lined barrels. Now I understand that most of these SBRs are going to be shot within 200 yards, but would you rather have a gun capable of 2 or 4 inches at that distance?

Noveske will be your BEST choice period. Go with a chrome lined, and if you want a hell of a deal get their MK18 upper.

Up to you what optics you want to run on it; it all depends on the job that you need to do. If you want to just shoot paper as fast as you can then a small red dot would be fine. If you actually need to ID targets, then you may need some magnification, either a red dot magnifier or a good 1-4x scope would work well and save weight.

http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imc...ce=&status=

Noveske. I have 2 near identical 6.8mm 10.5 CQB's.
Shoot 'em couple times a week @ 700 or 800 yards
off the roof of the Chrysler minivan. Both set-up with
Atlas V8, Geissele high speed match,and 2.5-10 NF.
One's suppressed, other not. Essentially use same dope
for both from 50 to 700. Freakishly accurate little guns
with SSA OTM ammo. 35 mins to 700. 49 to 800. Irritates my buddies with big guns to no end. BR

Anyone that says Noveske is a poor choice of barrels has clearly never owned one and is very lilited in their knowledge of AR15s.

Register the barrel length on your Form 1 as short as possible. I have registered some as short as 4" in but most 6" to provide for .22 suppressed uppers and 9mm uppers. The rule of thumb is the shorter the better. You can always use an upper with a longer barrel.

I think you should do some more reading, when you register your lower you are registering it for a specific upper (length). There is a reason why they are asking all the questions on the form, just like when you travel (out of state) you need to get approval (its a pain in the ass) !0.5 is nasty fun!!! Go with LWRC.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: guntrustlawyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Register the barrel length on your Form 1 as short as possible. I have registered some as short as 4" in but most 6" to provide for .22 suppressed uppers and 9mm uppers. The rule of thumb is the shorter the better. You can always use an upper with a longer barrel. </div></div>

I have done a lot of form 1's and I cant say I endorse this. The reasoning for asking a specific barrel length is just that, BE SPECIFIC. Don't put it as the shortest you can. Go with what upper you are going to keep with it forever. The law states that if you register a 10.5" barrel with it it must stay with that lower at all times. This doesn't mean you cant use other uppers on it but that registered length must stay with it to comply with the laws. It doesn't matter what barrel length as long as its registered under 16".

I would definitely recommend the Noveske barrels. I have a 12.5 in 6.8 and a good buddy runs Noveske's on all of his SBR's and he has shot all the big name barrels and prefers Noveske.

Lots of misinformation in this thread about how to fill out the paperwork and what to put on it.

I would suggest you not take the advice listed here and instead speak with a FFL/SOT and/or a BATFE Examiner.

There is lots of "interpretation" when it comes to AR's since they are modular platforms. Hence anything short of machining the lower receiver is not permanent.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lots of misinformation in this thread about how to fill out the paperwork and what to put on it.

I would suggest you not take the advice listed here and instead speak with a FFL/SOT and/or a BATFE Examiner.

There is lots of "interpretation" when it comes to AR's since they are modular platforms. Hence <span style="color: #FF0000">anything short of machining the lower receiver is not permanent</span>. </div></div>

Well that is misinformation. When you register a lower they ask for overall length and barrel length. That lower must correspond with a matching barrel of said length. Wether its on the lower or stays in a case with it, you are good to go. That is straight from the NFA as I ran into the situation a couple years back. Wanted to ditch a 12" upper and go down to a 10.5" and they said to keep the 12" no matter what to comply with the paperwork submitted to them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lots of misinformation in this thread about how to fill out the paperwork and what to put on it.

There is lots of "interpretation" when it comes to AR's since they are modular platforms. Hence <span style="color: #FF0000">anything short of machining the lower receiver is not permanent</span>. </div></div>

Well that is misinformation. When you register a lower they ask for overall length and barrel length. That lower must correspond with a matching barrel of said length. Wether its on the lower or stays in a case with it, you are good to go. That is straight from the NFA as I ran into the situation a couple years back. Wanted to ditch a 12" upper and go down to a 10.5" and they said to keep the 12" no matter what to comply with the paperwork submitted to them. </div></div>

+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Well that is misinformation. When you register a lower they ask for overall length and barrel length. That lower must correspond with a matching barrel of said length. Wether its on the lower or stays in a case with it, you are good to go. That is straight from the NFA as I ran into the situation a couple years back. Wanted to ditch a 12" upper and go down to a 10.5" and they said to keep the 12" no matter what to comply with the paperwork submitted to them. </div></div>

Can the OAL and barrel length be permanently changed at a later date?

can you look at complete uppers or are you stuck on just the barrel and a build? If not, I'd go with lwrc or arperformance. One thing to consider as well, with the 6.8, you get better terminal performance out of 1/10 with barrels under 16".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phylodog</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Can the OAL and barrel length be permanently changed at a later date? </div></div>

No, not from what I was told. You are registering the lower with specific parameters. Those being the OAL and barrel length. That would be like registering a 14.5" rifle but really building a 10.5". That makes no sense either way you look at it. And the NFA would frown on that. But, like I have said.... register a lower and keep some other uppers around to play with. Just remember to keep that upper that you registered the lower with. It has to be able to return to its registered form at any time.

Ever play that game of telephone......you know the one where someone says something to someone, then they say it to someone else. They when it gets around the room and comes back it's totally different.

I would prefer just to walk across the street and talk to the guys who would be charged with enforcing the regs. If you have a BATFE field office in your area it may be a worthwhile visit.