• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

10 dimensional physics made easy

Re: 10 dimensional physics made easy

For the very first time in my life, I now have a basic understanding of string theory.

Thanks!

So, if I am a three dimensional being living on the flat side of a P Brane, then why are the recent foreclosures bringing down the value of my property?
laugh.gif

"I don't care if you drove through a mountain in Texas. This is New Jersey, and when you play my... when you play my joint, you're just another act." - Arty, from Buckaroo Banzai (1984).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So, if I am a three dimensional being living on the flat side of a P Brane, then why are the recent foreclosures bringing down the value of my property?
laugh.gif

"I don't care if you drove through a mountain in Texas. This is New Jersey, and when you play my... when you play my joint, you're just another act." - Arty, from Buckaroo Banzai (1984). </div></div>

Hahaha gtfo out of here Buckaroo Banzai I thought I was the only person who truly appreciated that quality film
laugh.gif

Assuming you probably have read them...

"Warped Passages" by Lisa Randall
"The Lightness of Being"

When Graham mentioned Branes it took me right back. When someone on an airplane would ask me what I was reading it was amusing to watch them internal wishing they hadn't asked the question once I started describing it to them.

Josh

I think a lot of folks in the Physics and Cosmology communities are making their livings out of some pretty screwy speculations.

When one delves into the various theories and their explanations, it become somewhat suspect, and I think a lot of it is simply blue sky imagineering erected to cover the simple fact that there are some anomolies in the Universe that nobody can explain in terms of Good Old Uncle Al Einstein's perfectly good old three dimensions. The problem, IMHO, is less with Al's work than theirs.

For instance, once we get past three dimensions and time, we have to <span style="font-style: italic">imagine</span> all the rest of the stuff. Reminds me kinda vaguely of the Emperor's clothes. I need to see the <span style="font-style: italic">evidence</span>, man...

A), I think that gravity and the physics community's basic lack of understanding of the principles that govern it are at the core of this weirdness.

B) I think that arguments that try to explain limits and extents of the universe(s?) are looking in the wrong direction. If you want to look outside the universe, I'd be considering that as the <span style="font-style: italic">inside</span> of Black Holes. That's where I think all that 'missing' 'dark matter' and 'dark energy' are hiding. Tearing the fabric of space and time brings one..., where...? Not anywhere <span style="font-style: italic">in</span> the universe of space and time, IMHO.

C) Quantum physics makes some sense, and the study of subatomic particles and forces is a worthwhile endeavor, but the inability to reconcile quantum physics with Einstein's work makes me question the quantum theory, rather than Einstein. I think A) figures in this, too.

D) I remain unconvinced of the 'accelerating expanding universe' concept. Again, I think A) is involved here too.

We know that space and time are distorted in a deep gravity well, bending light and distorting time. If space is curved, no matter how many times and in how many directions, logic says it must curve back in on itself full circle eventually.

I am still doubtful of the concept of infinity, I think it's just a really really big number, too bad if human imagination can't cope with its magnitude. A number, any number, plus anything is just a bigger number, but still a number. A zero minus anything is imaginary. FMI (For <span style="font-style: italic">My</span> Information), 'imaginary' means something quite different from 'real'. I got this thing about infinity. I think it's the same thing as imaginary.

Greg

This all starts with a "Theory",,,

Which is then expanded upon by using "Imagination",,,,

Next we're going to speak about Darwinism. Then we can tell you how things really are!

now if you really want to start to understand things... watch this.

<embed style="width:425px; height:350px;" id="VideoPlayback" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docId=-4951448613711060908#&hl=en" flashvars=""></embed>

Screw you Torfinn. I was decompressing with the semester over and you shove this in my face?

Now I'm back to firing synapses and thinking. You pushed my timeline up 2 weeks.

jackass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MinorDamage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Assuming you probably have read them...

"Warped Passages" by Lisa Randall
"The Lightness of Being"

When Graham mentioned Branes it took me right back. When someone on an airplane would ask me what I was reading it was amusing to watch them internal wishing they hadn't asked the question once I started describing it to them.

Josh </div></div>

Actually I'm working through the Lisa Randall book right now. It's pretty incredible although a little dated I think the LHC has probably answered some of these questions and I just don't know it yet
smile.gif
I will check out your other suggestion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
We know that space and time are distorted in a deep gravity well, bending light and distorting time. If space is curved, no matter how many times and in how many directions, logic says it must curve back in on itself full circle eventually.

I am still doubtful of the concept of infinity, I think it's just a really really big number, too bad if human imagination can't cope with its magnitude. A number, any number, plus anything is just a bigger number, but still a number. A zero minus anything is imaginary. FMI (For <span style="font-style: italic">My</span> Information), 'imaginary' means something quite different from 'real'. I got this thing about infinity. I think it's the same thing as imaginary.

Greg </div></div>

Actually you may be on to more than you think here, and you're reading along the lines of several of the more recent cosmology findings. I attended a lecture with Sir Roger Penrose a few years back and this was the primary topic of conversation. His personal conjecture was that for the most part all the matter in the universe will eventually belong to black holes. Naturally even these anamolous monsters will begin to cool and slowdown when there is no more matter in the universe for them to consume.

Having consumed all the matter in the universe e=mc^2 takes an interesting turn if you remove the m entirely from the equation
smile.gif
Approaching a singularity.

Of course the time frame that this all happens in is probably beyond the comprehension of our entire species, but it's still an interesting thought.

Thanks for weighing in Mr L your insights are always appreciated.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CavScout1983</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Screw you Torfinn. I was decompressing with the semester over and you shove this in my face?

Now I'm back to firing synapses and thinking. You pushed my timeline up 2 weeks.

jackass. </div></div>

Terribly sorry Cav I'll find a way to make it up to you I promise!

It's all philosophy until you can devise a scientific experiment to test higher dimensions
wink.gif

I studied physics and cosmology in college. Some of the theories they taught were just absolutely mind boggling. The math involved at first glance looks like some 2 year old on a computer punching random keys, but eventually it all make sense. In one math class I missed one lab class and stayed behind the entire semester and had to hire a tutor to only be one session behind. I had really gotten in over my head. I wanted to change majors but was told if i did i woulod have to reimburse VEAP.

So now I have a degree that I have never used. Go figure!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dogtown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's all philosophy until you can devise a scientific experiment to test higher dimensions
wink.gif
</div></div>

w3.iihe.ac.be/seminars/Collard.pdf

Hopefully this doesn't end up in a doom 3 event horizon type of situation.

Actually I'm full of it I'd be overjoyed if the world was flooded with zombies and demons we could battle with guns.

also LOL from the end of that PDF

"Unfortunately, we will not travel in an extra dimension, this is left
to science fiction. In most of the models, only gravitons can
propagate inside the extra dimensions. We will get in the best case
an indication of their existence but impossible to visit them during
holidays."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dogtown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's all philosophy until you can devise a scientific experiment to test higher dimensions
wink.gif
</div></div>

it's already been done. Didn't you watch my video?
frown.gif

I have a bad habit of watching as many of the Discovery and Science Channel programs as I can. My belief in any of these "explanations" and theories fails instantly when scientists have the audacity to mention, with unbelievable specificity, when certain events occurred.

But can the guy in the original video even change a tire or the oil in his car?

Could there be a Shankster or Maser in the 10th dimension??? If so, it could be pan-dimensional disaster which would tear this universe apart if they interacted, similar to the combination of matter and anti-matter in this dimension.
eek.gif

Yes, I always end up realizing I am afflicted with a logical mind. I tend to fall off flights of fancy shortly after takeoff.

Not only should all the matter eventually equalize entropy (achieve the same state of temperature), and be attracted, however long that takes, into black holes, but the black holes, in turn will then be all attracted and consolidated. Stands to very basic reason. Remember, <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">BIG</span></span> numbers...

At that point, it's..., well..., all a point. As in a..., a... <span style="font-style: italic">singularity</span>? Yeah, <span style="font-style: italic">that</span> one...

Expansion is an illusion in curvilinear space; it all comes back around and home. Something flies around on random curves long enough, it's likely to meet up with anything. ...Everything, actually...

We don' need no steenkin' Parallel Universes. The one we got is Soooooo Biiiiigggg, it'll encompass "...all the things in Heaven and earth, Horatio...", plus the odd coupla Masers, no problemmo... Doesn't need to be infinite, just bigger 'n the average bear....

Don't ever let anyone tell you space ain't curved.

Call their bluff. Tell 'em to prove it goes straight on forever..., and ever..., and ever... Tell 'em you'll be happy to wait while they do it..., LOL!!!

...thus concluding today's lesson in Physics 101(a) (the 'a' denotes, 'for the guys and gals who don't run around with slipsticks in their pocket protectors...')

When you remove the 'M' from 'MC2', doesn't become nothing at all, by definition?

No mass, no mas, whatever... ...but, really...

Screw spin drift, it's just the proof I was looking for about curvilinear space, dangit!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When you remove the 'M' from 'MC2', doesn't become nothing at all, by definition?

No mass, no mas, whatever... ...but, really... </div></div>

haha I thoroughly enjoyed this
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Physics jokes...

Who knew...? </div></div>

Whoo! Physics jokes are the best kind of joke.

An infinity of infinities;;;;give me a friggin break....like one infinity isnt big enough

I used to work with a genius. He was eventually fated to become a College professor, something involving I/T at Stony Brook, NY.

He took a dim view of Cosmology. His view was basically, "But what's it <span style="font-style: italic">for</span>..."

I'm still thinkin' about that one...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Our experience hitherto justifies us in trusting that nature is the realization of the simplest that is mathematically conceivable.</div></div>(<span style="font-style: italic">Albert Einstein</span>)

Modern Cosmologists have either missed or dismissed the views of the Master. His breakthrough recognition of equivalence, the relationship between energy and mass (implied in E=MC2), is the core truth at the basis of all physical sciences, as well as Cosmology, which I have some difficulty accepting as a science.

The more one wishes to earn about physics, the more one is attracted to the actual works of Einstein.

While it's true he distrusted Quantum theory, it was based on his distrust of randomness in physics. His quote, often misquoted: "...Quantum mechanics is certainly imposing. But an inner voice tells me that it is not yet the real thing. The theory says a lot, but does not really bring us any closer to the secret of the 'old one'. I, at any rate, am convinced that He does not throw dice..." puts this distrust in a context which is less susceptible to ridicule. Without assuming any of his greatness, I am much inclined to agree.

The truth is, while the larger contexts are capable of my personal visualization, the mathematics of it all just leaves me in the dust.

My interest is in relationships and implications, and for some reason they submit to my intuitive grasp. I have no idea whether this is a common thing or not, I have no reference for such things.

For my part, it just gives me pleasure to be able to put much of this visualization into words of fewer syllables.

Still, the work being done at the LHC/CERN goes directly to quantum physics, and may, in the end, buried amid all the sensationalism, give a final true insight into the actual workings of gravity. If it manages to do just this one thing alone, it will have justified it's cost millions of times over.

It is the understanding of gravity, or lack thereof, which holds physics at arm's reach from achieving success with controlled, net positive hydrogen fusion. Solar fusion succeeds because immense gravity provides the necessary containment. Terrestrial fusion attempts to achieve the same result employing magnetic containment instead. Either way, huge force/energy is essential, gravity is by far the more efficient means, and being able to manipulate gravity without employing immense mass is a potential path to a better result.

Relativity for <span style="font-style: italic">us</span> folks. (Warning, Muppets are involved...)

Greg