• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

$10 dollar Rock-Chucker primer catch mod

CardiacKid

Private
Minuteman
Sep 24, 2009
Fort Bragg, NC
Like many others, I've been annoyed by the rock chucker's inability to catch all spent primers, leaving a bunch in my lap, on the floor, etc. While the black plastic catcher that comes with the press does a so-so job of catching them, it fills up quickly and is a PITA to remove with a bunch of spent primers. In preparation for acquiring a Dillon 550, I decided to turn my rockchucker into a dedicated decapping press to keep the Dillon clean of all the nasty primer residue.

I saw how some people had used vynil tubing to catch primers off of their dillons and other presses where the primers drop through the ram and figured a quick trip to Home Depot would produce something usable.

My solution to this:
223491_10100655405064915_12404877_63459783_2035503_n.jpg
229517_10100655405134775_12404877_63459784_4894401_n.jpg

After looking around on the plumbing aisle for a bit, here's what I came up with: a PVC 3/4" 45 degree elbow fitting, a PVC 1/2" plug (this is the kind that slides inside the elbow fitting with a flat base - not a cap), and a Watts 1/2" x 3/8" Plastic Slip x MPT Connector. I used a dremel tool to bevel the portion of the plug that goes inside the elbow to prevent any primers from getting hung up on the ledge. I then cut a rough hole in the plug wide enough to fit the 1/2" to 3/8" fitting in. I then trimmed the smooth side of the fitting down to 1/8" inch or so with a cut-off wheel so it was just long enough to fit the same depth of the hole and be glued in place. I beveled this piece as well to prevent any primers from getting hung up. I then glued the 1/2" to 3/8" fitting into the plug, and glued the plug into the elbow. For the primer slot from the ram to the unit, I took the dremel tool and cut a groove down the side of the elbow that faces you when you use the press to catch the primers. I eyeballed the section of the ram that is cut out and cut the PVC portion just a hair wider and deeper to ensure the primers would fall into it and then finished it off with some light sanding. Because the outer diameter of the 3/4" PVC is just a hair too thick to mount between the ram and the back of the press without rubbing, I took some sandpaper to the assembled unit and sanded off about an 1/8" or so to allow the ram to move up and down without brushing the PVC. You can opt to use a smaller PVC elbow size, however this works perfectly from what I've seen because there's not enough room for the primer to go anywhere other than the hole. Finally I then threaded the vynil tubing onto the 1/2" to 3/8" fitting and drilled some holes on the backside toward the top so I could use some zipties to mount it around my press. ALL primers now fall down into the tube to whatever receptacle works for you. Unlike the old catcher's Sex Panther success rate (60% of the time, every time) this one actually works 100% of the time.

Links to parts - again, double check for fit of each item in store as I don't remember 100% the exact sizes I bought:
http://www.homedepot.com/Plumbing-Pipes-...catalogId=10053

Re: $10 dollar Rock-Chucker primer catch mod

I'll second that one! I just purchased a rock chucker and have been doing some 223 brass so I know all about it not catching everyone lol going to home depot
smile.gif
Thanks for the great idea...

Mike

I wear rubber soled cowboy boots, and the primer cups on the floor just LIVE embedding in my soles. My cubicle-mare knows when I've been reloading when I cross my legs! I should do something similar to you!

question for you. did you rotate the ram? my 1990 rock chucker ejects the primer to the front not the rear like your photo.

something is not correct with one off the presses. was there a change made by rcbs?

i think mine is correct because if the ram was truned you would not be able to prime cases with it.

Ron

I purchased mine around early 2009 and the ram has slots in both the front and back although the primers only fall out of the back the way it's designed. The front slot runs from the shell holder down about 1.5" and the rear one goes much deeper. I've never messed around with the primer arm on the press - the little hand primer that came with the kit works great.

Mine is older than dirt, and has no provision whatsoever to catch spent primers. They fall out the front of the slot and onto the floor. If you put a bucket under it, you can catch about 50% of them.