• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

100 shot group...

The "problem" these days is that expectations are starting to prevent the total enjoyment of shooting.

.22 cal rifles are what we are supposed to experience and develop a love for "just shooting".

As a kid if you consistently wailed a soup can at 50 yards you were an all star. It was a perfectly achievable goal and because you succeeded you continued in the sport.

Now with the internet and the high volume of cherry picked never to be repeated one hole groups prevalent to view anything less than 100 of 100 in the X ring is failure.

As a teenager with my Tasco 10-22 there wasnt a bird that was safe within 100 yards.

I probably shot better than because my targets were at varied unknown distances shot from different positions at varied angles of fire with targets that might move at any instant.

It was practical shooting as opposed to me now sitting down at a bench with static cookie cutter targets.

Now anything that isnt in the defines target causes disappointment.

We should shoot with young kids more and return to the enjoymant of making a big old milk jug bounce.

Brought an AR today to try to sight in a new to me ACOG TA33. Supposed to do some family dinner thing tomorrow night but if I can I want to break out either than Win 75T or Springfield M2 and shoot some of my cheap CMP Remington surplus ammo.

What do you want to see @Alabusa - Iron sights or a scoped rifle? Single group or a dot drill? Cant do dots with the iron sighted gun, they are too small. Perhaps the 10-22 with iron sights?

I don't want to shoot 100 out of 100, u just want to better my shooting overall. That is why I am putting emphasis on consistency.

As far as you shooting is concerned, shoot either you would like, with whatever rig you would like.

By the way, my name is Bret.

Last edited:
Reactions: pmclaine
I don't want to shoot 100 out of 100, u just want to better my shooting overall. That is why I am putting emphasis on consistency.

As far as you shooting is concerned, shoot either you would like, with whatever rig you would like.

By the way, my name is Bret.

Ill shoot a dot drill with 50 rounds if the scheduled dinner is not scheduled too early.

and Hello My name is Phil and I have a problem - I spend too much time here.

Reactions: Alabusa
Friends scheduled dinner early today. Cant shoot :(.

Maybe tomorrow if I dont have to take the kids to soccer or something.

Hi my name is George and I'm an addict.

I cannot seem to stop buying 22 rifles and cases of ammo.

I need a local support group to help me but not my local Thursday morning shooting group as they are afflicted also.

Isn't it trying to maintain a balance between enjoying shooting whatever the result and not being disgruntled if you do worse than normal, all the while trying to upgrade the normal. To lessen the disgruntlement I average results over a couple of sessions at the range. Some days you are on some days not. Doing better than normal is financially dangerous as I want to buy several thousand dollars worth of the ammo I used.

Friends scheduled dinner early today. Cant shoot :(.

Maybe tomorrow if I dont have to take the kids to soccer or something.
At your leisure, Sir.

I need a local support group to help me but not my local Thursday morning shooting group as they are afflicted also.

Isn't that the truth! Maybe we can start a Sniper's Hide Anonymous group.:unsure:

Isn't it trying to maintain a balance between enjoying shooting whatever the result and not being disgruntled if you do worse than normal, all the while trying to upgrade the normal. To lessen the disgruntlement I average results over a couple of sessions at the range. Some days you are on some days not. Doing better than normal is financially dangerous as I want to buy several thousand dollars worth of the ammo I used.

Exactly!!

Ever wonder why you do so well some days and not so well on others?
It annoyed the snot out of me. With a garage full of tools and an overactive imagination
I set out to understand why. I built barrel block rigs and mounted them to the bench.
Tried multiple barrels from different makers. Ran a variety of brands of rimfire through all of them.
Still kept obtaining inconsistent results. Finally purchased a ballistic chronograph.
The story it told explained much. Very easy to track and record data for each shot and it's poi.
MV spread matched vertical spread on target. The cause wasn't me or the rifle in the first place.
The frustration factor was being created by the lack of consistent mv's in the ammunition.
It wasn't until I took up serious reloading of centerfire and read everything I could find here at the 'hide
and elsewhere, that the light went on. The same defects that cause stress in centerfire reloading
will cause the same problems with rimfire. Irregular brass dimensions, asymmetric bullets,
varied seating depth, canted bullets, primer application and amounts wreak havoc with trajectories.
All those irregularities will contribute to trajectory dispersion, in all directions, away from the centerline of the bore.
The best rifle made, will not produce worthwhile results if the ammo reeks, no matter how well you do your part.

Last edited:

Sounds like you need to be sidetracked with a solid diversion.

I've got one just for you. You should try PCP air rifles, there is more challenge involved than with a 22rf, and the ammo is much cheaper. Nice PCP's cost a lot of money though, but they are amazing guns.

We got schooled yesterday in a shootoff here in Arizona at a friends property by a South African Field Target international women's champion. The best rifle shooting I've personally witnessed by anyone to date!!! She used no shooting aids at all, shot off the knee in sitting position with a borrowed rifle, and she could hit a paintball sized target at 45Y no problem, she didn't miss and won the match.

I'll post a match report about it here in a few days.

It annoyed the snot out of me. With a garage full of tools and an overactive imagination
I set out to understand why. I built barrel block rigs and mounted them to the bench.
Tried multiple barrels from different makers. Ran a variety of brands of rimfire through all of them.
Still kept obtaining inconsistent results. Finally purchased a ballistic chronograph.
The story it told explained much. Very easy to track and record data for each shot and it's poi.
MV spread matched vertical spread on target. The cause wasn't me or the rifle in the first place.
The frustration factor was being created by the lack of consistent mv's in the ammunition.
It wasn't until I took up serious reloading of centerfire and read everything I could find here at the 'hide
and elsewhere, that the light went on. The same defects that cause stress in centerfire reloading
will cause the same problems with rimfire. Irregular brass dimensions, asymmetric bullets,
varied seating depth, canted bullets, primer application and amounts wreak havoc with trajectories.
All those irregularities will contribute to trajectory dispersion, in all directions, away from the centerline of the bore.
The best rifle made, will not produce worthwhile results if the ammo reeks, no matter how well you do your part.

Forest Gump says "Ammunition is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get"

The great joy, and great frustration at times, of positional shooting and in particular standing offhand is all of the effects you enumerated are very secondary. To improve accuracy the solution is very well known, practice, practice and more practice. In retirement I wanted a physical hobby and positional shooting is exactly that.

The one thing I do know, and I presume this applies to all shooting, is going to the range with something on your mind, good or bad, will lead to poor performance. And a short memory, i.e. the ability to forget a poor shot or poor shots, is greatly to be desired. You want to be "in the zone", but how to get in the zone?

I saw it today and steadied myself to purchase good target ammo. Going to order some RWS and Tenex.
I made a bunch of shots that I knew were money only to have them go almost an inch high or low. I would make a .04 to .1 string of 3 or 4 and then wamo, two or 3 would go crazy up and down. It is infuriating. I am wasting more money shooting cheap ammo than I would be shooting good stuff half as much.

Reactions: BillOH
Eley Tenex is the best, shoot 5 to foul the barrel then the rest of them go into one hole.

This is my surplus CMP sourced ammo.....

PB198326[1].JPG

Back in the day when people would go to the government food bank you could pick up cheese and corn flakes packaged similarly. When a poor shooter would come in the big hearted govt would give them a box of this .22 ammo. CMP sold it to me 5000 rounds for $115.

Now the govt hates guns and they give you cash to buy heroin and lottery tickets.

This is the surplus rifle I shoot it out of....

PB198328[1].JPG

its old, probably worn out, barrel date is 1935.

My first 15 round dot drill. First shot went high but gun hasnt been fired in awhile so it was cold or I had forgotten how to squeeze her....

PB198329[1].JPG

Next I did a twenty shot group. The one out low right I was starting to lose my aim point and I was thinking to myself "Hmm, maybe try 1/4" up, 1/4" left on my next dot drill, bang, Shit!"

PB198330[1].JPG

Final 15 dot drill....

PB198331[1].JPG

Nothing special, kind of cold, good fun, worth the hour of vac before heading into the holidays.

This is my surplus CMP sourced ammo.....

View attachment 6973056

Back in the day when people would go to the government food bank you could pick up cheese and corn flakes packaged similarly. When a poor shooter would come in the big hearted govt would give them a box of this .22 ammo. CMP sold it to me 5000 rounds for $115.

Now the govt hates guns and they give you cash to buy heroin and lottery tickets.

This is the surplus rifle I shoot it out of....

View attachment 6973057

its old, probably worn out, barrel date is 1935.

My first 15 round dot drill. First shot went high but gun hasnt been fired in awhile so it was cold or I had forgotten how to squeeze her....

View attachment 6973058

Next I did a twenty shot group. The one out low right I was starting to lose my aim point and I was thinking to myself "Hmm, maybe try 1/4" up, 1/4" left on my next dot drill, bang, Shit!"

View attachment 6973059

Final 15 dot drill....

View attachment 6973060

Nothing special, kind of cold, good fun, worth the hour of vac before heading into the holidays.
Nice rifle and I love the Unertl scopes. Nice shooting, Sir.
What is that white stuff?:unsure:

Nice rifle and I love the Unertl scopes. Nice shooting, Sir.
What is that white stuff?:unsure:

Hate this time of the year.

I guess its good training shooting with stone fingers but the 300 yard range at my club faces hard west and with the sun so low in the horizon after I get off work the range is almost unusable.

What are you using for your .22? I missed that detail if you mentioned it above.

Hate this time of the year.

I guess its good training shooting with stone fingers but the 300 yard range at my club faces hard west and with the sun so low in the horizon after I get off work the range is almost unusable.

What are you using for your .22? I missed that detail if you mentioned it above.

Rifle is a Savage Mkll FVSR
Athlon Argos BTR 6-24X50
Ammo is CCI sv

Reactions: pmclaine
Where are you and are you teaching classes yet?
:eek:
Funny, I could do that in the beginning. but bad habits are easier to get than to get rid of.
Bring us pics like the bottom target for five days in a row and we will nominate you HMFIC of the rimier forum!

@shoot4fun

The top target is the best of the 3. I will shoot every day that it is not raining. I will post targets every day that I shoot.

Yes, I am teaching my granddaughter to shoot. Part of the reason I got this rifle.

Great job.

I think Savage gets a bad wrap.

Sure they have to do certain things to meet their price points but the accuracy you get for the dollar spent seems to favor the buyer.

Wasn't able to shoot yesterday due to rain. Here is my best from today.
20181124_114516.jpg

Got some better ammo ordered. Going to get in on the 6-5 thread if I can find better ammo that my rifle likes.

My joy from rimfire shooting comes from sling supported positional shooting for score (not groups) at 25, 50, and 100 yards. To make it more interesting I use a Sporter with a reflex sight instead of a heavy match rifle with high mag scope.

58 degrees......won't shoot in the rain............at least go offhand or weak side so it's a challenge for you.

Quartering at 8 to 10, that's just good practice.
Have you assembled some windicators yet?
Had to find mine. Tailwinds have been kicking my adze.

LWsEASo3dbdfDl5vWEPaZPvYqWs4dAEbqoLQXn98YsfCYBqLjdV4NPeESJBji99biUmPi0RykVE-zMEI7VeLkY8fgpvSAWBNCNRiR4VPV2fPoiHqVLZ5NpS-hYNvv_iZY25YrA8FaJH7Gi129qW3slrhpFiTm6vpIarxcgct69JkiLqz3y7xoEH5Md40gwx9Te4AcyCOI_fGMeTIj0NTJimEQb-yTuqvt_W7Wh93BhdQsQkjVZ_F420BqBppFODgySr5JKReoDqZl4kMTde0D0Fkk4zvFbSeWUFYW2dU2yUpibPFWzZGdwg_0Ah-JG2WFBgAZUm5PuyRR8nX88OKKF3wICkBpa20xMY52zBuvg6JBD76eG99jxo5UyPDi0vuBmY3b0EIJDo1aXDqvKHz1vH8j88SPvgRvFpjraTM4ULMJPhqv9sHJi61bj75mIcBkw3BeCbwaPaJDA-_XneKlOI82Tq3u_f4tYAitxsb4kyJJCU62Ngo1XnE-H3YDX-EN5y7iWbHOP8Ii6wv5U8tv6-21lNZkojKIno4CHlWGbV7zJ_F97XHSQkfeYlhtrKsO3t5gbchiURM563FytyAW4g1W4uTOg4i7PlG01iJ_eomegv2tbSpY6VY-TFLJAVhcsWCB5Q9bFbhplEKdtr9kvPwtd_KIliBuYXQVndb-xNloEFTpjLhQ-j90wZQ5Qe4UkKsGaU0eTM8tcSD4g=w429-h570-no

That's a pole bean cane, section of coat hanger
and a length of surveyors flagging.
Cheap and easy to see. I use 5 spaced along 200 yards.

Last edited: