• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

100 yard comparison of Eley and Wolf and ??

juniorARshooter

Private
Minuteman
Mar 17, 2007
Alabama
Folks,

Just started shooting .22 rim fire at 100 yards trying to work myself up to 200 yards. A couple of questions:

1) Here is a comparison of two Eley bullets and Wolf at 100 yards. I was only focusing on elevation (not a good zero but shot all on the same zero). Wind was blowing but I tried to shoot the same aim point each time and not worry about azimuth. Are these typical of what others are seeing in terms of vertical dispersion and also difference between the bullets. I have not sorted by rim thickness. I am shooting an H&R model 12.

wolfandeleycomparison.jpg

2) I am going to try sorting my rim thickness but am not sure how to separate. How close do you have to be in thickness to be acceptable?

Thanks in advance

Re: 100 yard comparison of Eley and Wolf and ??

Those look like the groups I shot my first time out at 100 except you had wind. I reconfigured my engineering tape stapled to the target to be a better wind flag yesterday and it helped tighten up the vertical especially with the Tenex. I would suspect some of the vertical dispersion has to do with varying velocities of each individual round.

Sir
same POA for each shot: center of the respective shoot and see for the ammunition shown.

Thanks for input

1. My average vertical dispersion is sub-1" at 100. Is that typical or even "good?" I guess I think so, but I have seen some hellacious groups posted on here. Regardless, this question is completely subjective on each person's equipment and ammo/barrel match

2. Rim thickness should be pretty much exact. With Eley my rim thickness is usually between .033" and .038" with most of it in the .034" to .037" range. But even still, you can get the occassional "flyer."

An H&R Model 12 is not exactly a target rifle, so I think your groups are darn good. The H&R's are nice rifles, but a good Savage or CZ will most likely get you under 1". It looks like you know how to shoot.

Just keep practicing, you'll get there.

John K

I shot a lot of different ammo through my guns before I found what they liked. I found that the federal gold metal match ammo works well in two of the three and one likes the Eley Tennex. I'm getting about an inch at 100. All you can do is keep trying different stuff and find what it likes.

Eley Sport isn't made by Eley, it's made by Aguila in Mexico.

Headspace in the gun is measured in variations between 0.04" to 0.055", so you'd be best sorting by the tightest variation if possible.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Texas1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Eley Sport isn't made by Eley, it's made by Aguila in Mexico.

Headspace in the gun is measured in variations between 0.04" to 0.055", so you'd be best sorting by the tightest variation if possible. </div></div>

Careful with that statement. There are actually two different versions of Eley "Sport". There is the purple box stuff you are referring to, and there is the green labeled stuff that is known as Eley "Target" to those of us in the USA. I believe that outside the USA if you buy "Sport" you are probably buying "Target".

This is Eley "Sport" green box and is about $6.50 per 50rds.
http://www.eley.co.uk/ammunition/products/sport.aspx
box_sport.jpg

This is the crappy purple box "Sport" made by Aguila and is about $2.50 to $30 per 50rds.
EL22SP.JPG

Thanks
as usual - great, unbiased input on this forum.

You call 'em like you see 'em

dksac2
H&R Model 12 not a <span style="font-weight: bold">target</span> rifle? WTF do you think a Model 12 is? You are recommending a savage or CZ as a better target rifle!
I've seen more than 1 clean target shot at 50' (A-36 target in matches),and i have seen them do real well at 50 yds,50M, and 100yds in NRA SMALLBORE inspite of their 2x4 of a stock. They aren't an anschutz, or even a really nice Win 52/ Rem 37 match rifle level but you will see way more of them at matches than sav/cz.

Now as a tactical trainer "clone" I won't disagree that a CZ or Sav would be a better starting choice but I sincerly disagree with your asesment of them as a target rifle. Uncle Sam bought them in large quantities specifically for match/target use.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dksac2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">An H&R Model 12 is not exactly a target rifle, so I think your groups are darn good. The H&R's are nice rifles, but a good Savage or CZ will most likely get you under 1". It looks like you know how to shoot.
</div></div>

WHAT??!!! BS flag on this one bud, but I don't think you're thinking of the correct model rifle.

But I'll humor you, what do you think the H&R M12 was specifically designed for? Sure wasn't envisioned on rabbits hunts...

Google: "H&R M12"

What's the very first website that pulls up?

Hmm, very interesting, it just so happens to be benchrest.com...

That's odd, well, let's head on over to pictures...

Oh even more interesting, almost all of the rifles in Google Pictures happen to have <span style="font-weight: bold">TARGET</span> peeps...

Hmm, now let's draw some conclusions
laugh.gif

Lol I would really love to know how the rifle in question isn't a target rifle per say...

-Dylan