• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

100 yard or 100 meters

Painjob38

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 11, 2019
When using a mil based scope do you guys generally sight your rifle in for 100 yards or 100 meters

Most ranges have a target stand at 100yds for verifying your zero. You can use any distance, and use any units (yards, meters, etc), but a 100yd zero distance will likely be more convenient.

But as @lowlight already said, mils are an angular unit and will work with both imperial and metric distance units.

When using a mil based scope do you guys generally sight your rifle in for 100 yards or 100 meters
It doesn't matter. But since virtually all ranges in the US are marked in yards and I want my dope in mils for distances in yards, I zero at 100 yards.

Last edited:
Yeah but 1 MOA is 1 inch at 100 yards...?

I am gonna stop you here if you continue down this path to create a trainwreck post, I am removing you

I get it has become a running joke, Mils vs MOA, the amount of ignorance and disinformation has made it nearly impossible to discuss.

That said, I am not putting up with people just coming in to crap on a thread, as noted by the Popcorn emoji you used, So with that I am just saying it upfront, play silly games we are offering prizes.

Why do we not have a sticky thread, with an article and video, that we can just redirect people to. I'm not qualified to write such an article and I always hated making any sort of presentation and I'm not good at it. But if it's ever made, it needs to be at the very top, extra big, and neon fucking pink that says nude women. Okay, not that last part, but you get the idea.

We do have reference material nobody uses it

I am planning a new more comprehensive one as I too am tired of the question but it’s one often asked because it’s been ruined so many times

What if it were common practice to report any such Mil vs. Moa threads to the Mod.

The Mod could then quickly shut down the thread and redirect the presumably innocent noob to the authorized content provided elsewhere on the site?

Mods are busy enough. It would be better for us regulars to just drown the thread with the link.

Maybe it can be made to be required reading/watching with a simple one question test to gain access to sign up here.
Something like what is an MRAD.
Answer would say an angular measurement having nothing to do with millimeters. Obviously would need another good three wrong answers for multiple choice.

Last edited:
I think crafting a complete answer and shutting them down with data is better than just shutting it off

We are due for a comprehensive rebuttal for this question, remove the emotion and have it broken down like

Mils =
MOA =
IPHY=

Then Pros and Cons for each, so you have details to the point I would include wind calls

So,

1. Definitions
2. Practical Considerations
3. Wind
4. Communication
5. Scopes / Reticles / Use

Something like that is how I envision it

Reactions: Cjwise5 and loveha
I don't know if it is possible, but maybe a registration test where they have to read the article and answer a simple question to say they read it. I edited my last reply with a sample question and answer.

Then make the question a banable offense.

Reactions: 308pirate
I don't know if it is possible, but maybe a registration test where they have to read the article and answer a simple question to say they read it. I edited my last reply with a sample question and answer.

lowlight has the right answer. Let them ask the question but help them out and close the thread before it turns into a shit show. Remember that many new members come here looking for guidance. They ask because they honestly don’t know.

Reactions: Yasherka
No,

Many come here because they don't know, they are not the problem, it's the people with just enough knowledge to be dangerous who are the problems, and the ones looking to entertain themselves by purposely turning it into a trainwreck.

We want to correctly educate people, not blow them off or create a joke thread out of it

Mods are busy enough. It would be better for us regulars to just drown the thread with the link.
There are just too many people here that can't help themselves. It just turns into a shit flinging contest....every single time.

I'll admit Iurked here a long time before posting anything. I read and re-read most of the great info here. I also know when a question is over my head. I'm always happy to try and answer questions but only if I'm certain of the subject matter. There is a ton of good information to be had. But you may have to search for it.

I agree that sometimes we're too quick to pounce on new guys with questions. Must be the BANCAT in us.

Sorry my intention was never to create a thread about Mils vs Moa it just seemed to steer that way from some of the comments.

What if it were common practice to report any such Mil vs. Moa threads to the Mod.

The Mod could then quickly shut down the thread and redirect the presumably innocent noob to the authorized content provided elsewhere on the site?

I like Frank’s idea of a copy/past answer that covers it all.

If it goes sideways after, we can always shut it down formally. But most OP’s are generally curious and looking to learn.

I’m guilty as the next of turning these threads into dumpster fires. But it’s happening a lot lately.

To the OP, think about it in simple terms.
Zero at 100-yards or 100-meters (~109-yards), it really doesn't matter for most CF rifle cartridges as it won't make a difference. The drop at 100 +/- 9-yards is a very small insignificant amount, which is not noticable.

My backyard range just happens to line up perfectly at 100-meters because of the terrain, and that's what I zero at. However, I shoot in Yards, and most of my scopes are in Mils.

Last edited:
My local range is in yards and I do my initial zeroing there at 100 yards
I work in metres so when I do my range card before truing at distance I set zero distance as 91 m then later refine to a true 100 m zero and verify at distance when I get a chance to get out to the bush

Reactions: 308pirate