• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

100 Yard Zero Problems (Nightforce NXS)

drumrboy44

Private
Minuteman
Oct 30, 2012
Alright, a bit of a newb question here: I'm new to long range shooting. I just took my new Sako TRG-42 in .300WM to the range for the first time. I've got a Nightforce NXS 3.5x15x50 (target turrets in MRAD) on it with the Nightforce 20 MOA base and rings. It wasn't far off at 100, so I made a few adjustments and was shooting groups between .2 and .7 MOA at 100 yds. I moved over to 300 yards, and was first just holding over with my Mil-Dot reticle and was getting decent groups, but when I decided to adjust in mils (I needed about 11 clicks up), I found out I only had 5 clicks up to go, and that was it.

The Nightforce NXS is supposed to have 110 MOA in vertical adjustment... What would explain me not being able to even zero up to 300? Was my 100 yard zero a point blank zero rather than a true zero? Would that explain me running out of adjustment so quickly?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

So you are saying you zeroed the rifle at 100 yard, dialed 1.1mils up to shoot 300 yards, and find out only 0.5mils left in your elevation adjustment?

With a 20 MOA base this is not right. How much torque did you apply when you tighten up the screws on your rings?

Not much when I was attaching the base to the rifle. I bought the rifle used, and the rings were already on the scope.

Check to see if the NF has a zero stop and you need to reset it. I had a similar issue with my Leupold 3-18 until I figured out the zero stop.

Yup! I think the Zero Stop was the issue. I reset it where my 100 yard zero was, and I have the full 110 MOA up now.

Thanks guys!

I thought a zero stop would prevent you from going down. I thought you would be able to go up without trouble.