• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

mzaboynik

Private
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2010
Hey

I have a rock river national match ar15 with removable carrying handle it has 1/2 x 1/2 sights and i have a 100 yard range by my house
Can any one let me know how to zero this rifle at 100 yards

I need to be able to shoot at a match were they have a 200 yard line and 300 yard line

Thanks

Re: 100 yard zero

You want to shoot a match and you don't know how to zero the rifle?

Don't waste your time by going to the match. You have a magnificent career ahead of you in the Internet troll business.

And you're on the wrong site. Here's where you need to be:

http://www.ar15.com/

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You want to shoot a match and you don't know how to zero the rifle?

Don't waste your time by going to the match. You have a magnificent career ahead of you in the Internet troll business.

</div></div>

ROFL
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Luke59</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey

I have a rock river national match ar15 with removable carrying handle it has 1/2 x 1/2 sights and i have a 100 yard range by my house

I need to be able to shoot at a match were they have a 200 yard line and 300 yard line

Thanks</div></div>
you can always go and find the nearest Army Recruiter Station and ask one of the good Sergeant's how to zero your AR-15

ok i'll be nice...

1. read the instruction manual. zero at 25 yards per instructions that came with the rifle calibrating the front and rear sight, adjust the sights per the graduations on the rear sight at 100, 200, 300, shoot to confirm.

2. if it's now "zeroed" at 100 (bullet hits the spot you are aiming at), look at a ballistic table for your setup and ammo, adjust sights per table, then try it in "real life". if it's not sighted in yet, turn the oreo cookie looking thing that has nuimbers on it at the base of the rear sight left or right for up or down adjustments. the windage or left and right adjustment (the igloo looking thing with numbers on it). of course it all depends on how the front post is set-up, again, read the instructions, they should get you on paper.

3. re "zero" at 300, move back to 200, shoot, see where you have to hold under at 6:00 with your POI, repeat at 100. no sight adjustment required for elevation.

4. throw in windage adjustments to completely confuse the shit out of you.

5. shoot / learn more before you go to a match, to be productive and so you don't get too dejected.

Thanks, T-Pred, for responding in the true spirit of The 'Hide.

Luke;

While not doing it in a particularly helpful way, these other responders make good points. If you are clueless about establishing a sight zero, you're most likely premature about your intention to participate in match shooting.

By all means do what T-Pred advises.

But when you go to that first match, do it as a spectator.

You'll learn far more by watching and learning, and asking questions (being certain to do it when it does not interrupt a competitor from competing), than you might from trying to force yourself to play 'catch-up play-along'. It's not inconceiveable that you might even present a local minor menace in the process.

Sometimes; to achieve true speed, you need to slow down first.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Luke59</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey

Thanks</div></div>

Buy some SR-1 targets. The SR-1 is a 200 yard reduced course target for shooting at 100 yards. Using a 6 o'clock hold, zero, beginning with the rear sight about 5 clicks up from bottom, and adjust front post only, it's worth 1.2 MOA per click, until you're as close to X-ring center as allowed by the front sight's graduation. Then, fine tune, moving the rear sight, up or down, as required. Now, record the position of your rear sight elevation wheel in your score book. From this point all of your sight adjustments, except for LR, will be taken from the rear sight only. You will eventually have no-wind zeros for just about every distance/condition/position as found in reduced and XC shooting. Since you're shooting scalable decimal targets, and likely are shooting a standard loading, once you do have a 100 yard zero, you can calculate clicks up from bottom for X-ring elevation at any distance. Zero refinment can be made during the zeroing period for the tournament you're participating in.

BTW, I like your attitude. Even though it's clear you don't know much about what you're getting into, at least, you're actually getting into it, unlike some folks that are perpetually practicing to get into it.

Thanks Sterling Shooter Thats the info I was looking for
I was Glad to see that one person new what he was talking about

Another option for you is to take all your shooting gear to the match to watch and learn how the match procedure is done. For a beginner firing line commands, sight adjustments may be a lot to remember for your first match. Find someone before the match begins and explain your intentions that you are there to watch, learn & help. After helping with the match ask one of the shooters if he or she will help you with zeroing your rifle. At the end of the day you will have a better idea about what you are getting into and if you want to persue it or not.
Remember nobody is born knowing how to zero a rifle. I hope shooting provides as much enjoyment for you as it has for me over the years.
Semper Fi

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Luke59</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks Sterling Shooter Thats the info I was looking for
I was Glad to see that one person new what he was talking about </div></div> Just one?

Priceless: asking a basic question and judging the sophistication of the response at the same time.

Welcome to the Hide.

Damn thats what the "OREO cookie and IGLOO" things are for
laugh.gif

I damn near spit pop on my keyboard reading that thanks TP

At least he wasn't asking how to zero his Barska 4x20 M16 scope sitting on top of his carry handle at 100yd..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: arborpro</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://ar15zeroing.com/</div></div>

Typically, the as issued BDC sight will be modified or replaced with a receiver sight that only looks "as issued", when the rifle has been match conditioned for Service Rifle competition. These sight's are not managed persuant to BDC applications, although the detachable carry handle sight could accomodate most any zeroing need.

New guys may take awhile to realize the full implications of their statements. As a 'not new' guy, I've learned it may pay to think a bit more before posting. In my case, it's still a work in progress.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
ok i'll be nice...

</div></div>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Luke59</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks Sterling Shooter Thats the info I was looking for
I was Glad to see that one person new what he was talking about</div></div>
dat's watcha git fer bein nice...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You want to shoot a match and you don't know how to zero the rifle?

</div></div>

Holy Sheep Shit......I was eating when I read this. Food is now everywhere from laughing

I was Glad to see that one person new what he was talking about </div></div>

3500acg.jpg

YOU didn't really just call out Lindy did ya.....??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338$</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Popcorn ready..... this is going to be funny. </div></div>
popcorn-gazelle.gif

See now that's why they are trying to pass laws to stop internet bullying. I guess kids don't have thick skin anymore. Poor bastard probably won't even come around anymore, he's probably never been ridiculed before. This site is like hanging out with a bunch of guys at work, maybe thats why it's so successful.

Some folks come to this site with more enthusiasm than sense. They have an interest in guns and or shooting but have not thought through their notions on it all, which have been founded on fantasy rather than reality. Examples of these shooters include folks who say they're looking for a good concealed carry gun, but rather than consider Smith & Wesson's 642, instead buy something like a Springfield Armory XDM. These folks just need a little brain stimulus. My point is simply this, why ridicule, why not just educate or bring facts on the matter to the poster. If the poster is only ignorant there's a chance for knowledge to advance the shooters passion.

This is Not, directed at anyone,

This place is no different than school. No matter how long you attend or how hard you study, you either finish in the top or bottom half of your class.
Many people think that's the true ability/snapshot of the student's final grade in life. Yet I recall guys like, Ashil Murdock, Alvin C. York, Audie L. Murphy, Harold E. Wilson, an so on.

Making jest of a question on the net reveals more about the person giving the answer than the one asking. That said, there are folks that need to spend more time reading prior to asking, but in today's world, everything has to be had right now.

I don't believe there is a stupid question myself, but I do believe those that think they have all the answers, have to dig harder everyday to keep that perception afloat.

Sometimes the best questions are the ones not ask, but still read about.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: arborpro</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://ar15zeroing.com/</div></div>

Guy that wrote that is a buddy of mine. I zero my iron sight AR's using Col Chuck Santose method he described.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Storm Tactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: arborpro</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://ar15zeroing.com/</div></div>

Guy that wrote that is a buddy of mine. I zero my iron sight AR's using Col Chuck Santose method he described.

</div></div>

A battle sight zero will not get the job done when shooting reduced course targets if, as alluded to by the OP, the A4 rifle has a match conditioned BDC sight graduated in something other than 1/2 by 1/2 minute clicks. Interestingly, a battle sight zero for a mil-spec M4, A2, A3 or A4 will work for shooting at the SR-1 target when the shooter takes a 6 o'clock hold, since the bullet ordinate is about 4 inches high at 100 yards. Of course, a competitive shooter might not win with such a zero at any level; but, nevertheless, the BSZ is likely satisfactory for a shooter just getting into reduced HP with a stock Service Rifle.

BTW, the new Matech sight makes modified battle sight zeroing moot, as its BDC function works from 200 through 600 meters, when the sight is initially zeroed for 25 meters. The word "work" is in context to the shooter shooting an E type target using a center of mass hold which does not include the head. What I'm saying is, the zero is not exact for A4 or M4, even though the increased graduation value from the shorter sight radius of the M4 offsets its lower velocity, making trajectory similar to that of the A4.

I thought we were suppose to be enchouraging new shooters not running them off. We need all we can get.

Anyway:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">But when you go to that first match, do it as a spectator.</div></div>

No Sir: I believe in jumping right in there. Let them know you are new and they (HP Shooters & Match Directors) will help you get started safetly. They are more then willing to help you get started right.

I showed up at my first match with my new $295 M1A, some reloads and no ideal what I was doing or how to do it. I came away after having a ball, with a used shooting jacket, glove, shimmed bedding on the rifle, score(data) book, and best of all, new friends (some of which I still have today) all for the price of the entry fee............. Plus I was fed at the match.

That first match, some thirty-five years ago, got me on a career that I still enjoy today, though I'm moving from HP to CMP-GSMs now. (I'm old so I like old rifles).

If I would have gotten the treatment I've seen in some of the post here, I'd probably be playing golf or some other silly game.

For the OP:

Luke, listen to SS, and make like Niki- JUST DO IT,

I still show up to new matches today, three things always happen when I show up to some new form of shooting I havent tried before:

I learn something,
I have fun
I meet wonderful people.

My hat's off to the gentlemen who salvaged this thread.
Thank you SS, KraigWY, Gunfighter, etc.

I am also new to this site, and have found it to be a first class source of information. I was pretty disappointed though when I saw how this thread started out.
I may know a bit more about rifles than poor Luke59 (then again I may not) but I have no doubt that I will ask many stupid questions before I am through. You can choose to belittle me, or enlighten me, that will be entirely up to you.
But I won't apologize for not knowing what you know, because I'd bet good money that you weren't born knowing it. Somebody took the time to teach it to you.

taught by fire like good ol' luke too, and i still ask stupid questions.

BUT lets' say i just got my first AR, bolt action, whatever it is -

1. i'd actually read the owner's maunual first as ther just may be some things it that would actually tell me something about it.

2. i'd actually go to a site that specifically deals with the AR platform, just because it seems logical to think that the best information would be there, if not in the owner's manual.

3. i certainly wouldn't consider going to any matches shooting any further as put by the OP -
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Luke59</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>
-in general fear of my inevitable public humiliation and if not so familiar with the firearm to know how to zero it in, possibly cause harm to another shooter. plus, what's with the "need" to do this without even knowing how to zero it?

most likely luke would now go back and figure out his zero, do some more reading, put in some more trigger time, get more familiar with his rifle and whatever competition he's going to, and actually perform better and SAFER in the end.

it's a public service, really.

welcome to the Hide, sick308

Another option. Many Clubs in just about all states put on HP and CMP GSM vintage military rifle clinics and little or no cost (I don't charge for the ones I put on).

Still, if you go to a match, tell them you are new, they will help you along, safely, and you'll learn something from experienced shooters. Much better then trying to take it on on your own.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">it's a public service, really.</span></span>

welcome to the Hide, sick308

</div></div>

Ok, I gotta admit, that's pretty funny...