• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

100 yd zero?

Close enough where it doesn’t matter.
The answers are in this old thread. I have no idea why in this Precision Based forum, we keep going back to old school thinking. It is sad and shows that there still is a lot of misguided thought.

@Jthomas218 for many of us, setting our rifles up does mater as does the drop. For your typical 308 or any 1/2 way modern cartridge/bullet producing roughly the same speed; you’ll be .2 mils low at either 50 or 150 with a normal SOB and a 100Y zero. The same is true for my 7mm at 3200fps, but the 50 and 150 end up being closer to .1mil each. At these ranges it is velocity based with little effects of the BC.

Again, this is one of the benefits discussed in this thread.. all come ups.

200 yard zeros and such produce hold unders and come ups..

Details do mater, especially if you’re new and trying to understand the logic of best practices for long range precision.

Last edited:
Reactions: lash
Lowlight (Frank) has gone into depth on this on the Sniperhides podcast...Not sure which episode but to the OP find it and give it a listen.

The answers are in this old thread. I have no idea why in this Precision Based forum, we keep going back to old school thinking. It is sad and shows that there still is a lot of misguided thought.

@Jthomas218 for many of us, setting our rifles up does mater as does the drop. For your typical 308 or any 1/2 way modern cartridge/bullet producing roughly the same speed; you’ll be .2 mils low at either 50 or 150 with a normal SOB and a 100Y zero. The same is true for my 7mm at 3200fps, but the 50 and 150 end up being closer to .1mil each. At these ranges it is velocity based with little effects of the BC.

Details do mater, especially if you’re new and trying to understand the logic of best practices for long range precision.
For the distances he described, my answer stands and is correct. You did answer his question in more detail even though we said the same thing. Two-tenths of a mil at 50 and 150 yards unless bullseye shooting doesn’t need to be taken into account. Not all shooting requires a ballistic calculator. The man asked nothing of the 200 yard zero you went off about.

Thank you ! It’s a lot to take in and makes my head spin but I’m trying to learn

Thank you ! It’s a lot to take in and makes my head spin but I’m trying to learn
Welcome.

While you’ll find noise here and there, you find a lot of people really willing to help.

if you can try to hook up with a local PR club or even maybe check out some of the PR matches. NRL/PRS or similar will tend to have a lot of people that are more than happy to share gear or knowledge.

We run PRS, club and field matches and always welcome new shooters. Most clubs are similar.

edited to add: You do not need to be interested in competition, to participate and get a chance to shoot targets a various distances. Training classes are great, most of us will help with a spin-up day if you are truely interested.

Last edited:
Reactions: seansmd
i do all mine at 25 yds. That way I can shoot tiny groups if I do my part!

• Haha
Reactions: lash