• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1000+ at Pawnee in CO, but where?

VGS2

Private
Minuteman
Jan 15, 2012
I'm looking for where the guys go to shoot the 1000-1200+ at Pawnee. I want to brake in the new .338 but I have never shot there and will probably wander for the day if I don't get grids. Anyone know where to go or would be willing to show me? Company is always a good thing!! Anything you got will help!

Re: 1000+ at Pawnee in CO, but where?

I am sure there is a few, although I have only shot out to 600-700. The rangers want all of the high powered stuff in the area Northeast of CR61 and CR96. I have posted two google earth pics. The first one is where I shoot, and you will see that there are hills/berms at about 300 700 1000 1200. The coordinates at the bottom are at the 1200 spot and it is oriented West to East The second is the route to the shooting area. You take hwy 14 east to CR 61, go North on 61 till it ends at cr 96, head east a few hundred yards till you see a barb wired gate. Once inside it will be the first tagged slot on the right (east). The coordinates on the second pic are the junction of hwy 14 and CR 61

The only thing that sucks is there is no service road to set up the targets, so you gotta hump them out there.

If anyone else know of a spot where you can drive out to the berm let me know as well.

Anyway, try to get out there on a weekday, as the weekends can get scary.

Here is another map, it is the Pawnee (green) area of grid 5.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5188822.pdf

pawnee.jpg

By roggom at 2012-01-14

pawneemap.jpg

By roggom at 2012-01-14

Tag. Great info, I've been looking to head out to Pawnee sometime too, but didn't know where.

Yeah, there are plenty of slots to shoot in that area, most are marked with "no vehicles beyond this point" markers. In the first pic, you will see a hill of sorts below the ruler box, that has 3 slots with a very large hill for 100Y and 300Y. That one is nice to take new shooters as the it would be difficult to shoot a stray bullet. Then you can follow the road up and around the hill and there are a few more slots.

Just make sure to have/ make an appropriate target i/e shooting steel, swinger, home made target stand. The Rangers come by once in a while and will check what you are shooting at.

Also on the USFS map, grids 24 and 13 have slots for small bore and shotgun/ pistol. There are also cotton tails and Jacks out there as well.

+1 on the pm. Always lookin for a shootin buddies. I got a spot to shoot to 1 mile, and another where I think I can get 2000 plus. I also shoot a 338.

I need to get me some steel targets first before I come out that way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: COfox</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I need to get me some steel targets first before I come out that way.</div></div>

I make the steel tgt stands I use in all my student courses. incredibly light, simple, and cost next to nothing. let me know if you want the method to make your own. always willing help out a fellow STA-Marine.

I am sure there is a few, although I have only shot out to 600-700. The rangers want all of the high powered stuff in the area Northeast of CR61 and CR96. I have posted two google earth pics. The first one is where I shoot, and you will see that there are hills/berms at about 300 700 1000 1200. The coordinates at the bottom are at the 1200 spot and it is oriented West to East The second is the route to the shooting area. You take hwy 14 east to CR 61, go North on 61 till it ends at cr 96, head east a few hundred yards till you see a barb wired gate. Once inside it will be the first tagged slot on the right (east). The coordinates on the second pic are the junction of hwy 14 and CR 61

The only thing that sucks is there is no service road to set up the targets, so you gotta hump them out there.

If anyone else know of a spot where you can drive out to the berm let me know as well.

Anyway, try to get out there on a weekday, as the weekends can get scary.

Here is another map, it is the Pawnee (green) area of grid 5.

By roggom at 2012-01-14

Thanks for the info Roggom! I was in that area today after shooting a pistol match over at the Weld club. I found the shooting areas you mentioned. But I was wondering, do you shoot from close to the road where you have parked? Or do you walk and set up east on a mound and shoot across the valley? - Todd

I shoot from where I park, it is a long hump, but you will walk over several mounds, the mounds are at 300, and 700, there is another at 1000 or so. That is why it is best to go on the weekday when you have the place to yourself. Some folks have absolutely zero common sense and will shoot while you are downrange setting up , or set up shooting NE or SE at and angle vs directly East. I also wear orange downrange as well.

Either way, if you set up and you can still see your car, you should be good to go. I dont think I would shoot away from my vehicle, a couple weeks ago some guys were setting up when I was down range, right next to my Jeep.

Not trying to be negative, just that you have to watch out as some of these idiots just go out and shoot, dont look , dont glass, dont care.

If you follow the road over the little hill there is a spot facing North, what looks like a dried water bed of sorts. Kind of a valley. At the end is 500Y and if you walk a little up NW is 700Y as well. This one is a little safer as there are no places to park near you.

I am sure there are some other sweet spots out there, but I have not ventured around that much. Have been going to these spots for a few years.

Anybody got a weekday free and want to head out to Pawnee? I've had my new 6.5CM out to 1050yds at CRC so far, but would love to stretch it a little farther. I've got some AR500, but its only 9"x12"... Feel free to drop me a PM or whatever. My schedule is pretty flexible. Weather is getting pretty friendly this time of year. Lets get out and shoot!

-ScottyD

Anybody got a weekday free and want to head out to Pawnee? I've had my new 6.5CM out to 1050yds at CRC so far, but would love to stretch it a little farther. I've got some AR500, but its only 9"x12"... Feel free to drop me a PM or whatever. My schedule is pretty flexible. Weather is getting pretty friendly this time of year. Lets get out and shoot!

-ScottyD

Scott - I'm always game to head up there (never been there before) however I can only do weekends...