• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes 1000 bucks. SWFA or Vortex?

scorpion168

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2013
NE TX
I've got around a thousand or so to spend. I'm leaning toward the Viper PST 5-20x50. Gonna sit on a Savage 10 in .308. Looking at 3,4,500 yds.

The 5-20 isn't the PST, that is the SWFA. Both choices are strong ones. I have had both, and I ended up liking the PST overall, but I loved the Mil-Quad reticle of the SWFA. Either will do what you are wanting to do though, just flip a coin.

DK

Neither, if you don't need illumination.

Bushnell Elite 6-24x50 G2DMR from LIBERTY OPTICS.

Last edited:
+1 really pleased with vortex

+2 on that.

I've only tossed 42 rounds downrange with the PST (just bought it), but it is by far the highest quality optic I've owned. Of course there's better (pricier) stuff out there, but that's what I could afford. I researched both of your choices, and I wound up with the PST. Not owning the SWFA, I can't offer any personal experience/comparison between the two, only that I'm very pleased with my choice. Mounted on a similar platform btw. It's a far more capable tool than is the guy behind the buttstock;)

Between those two, I've only had minimal experience with Vortex and was pleased. What I've learned on glass... dont skimp. I've replaced all my cheaper scopes with high end ones now that I'm "all growed up." Best decision ever was to get my Nightforce NXS... but that's not under $1k. Not saying Vortex is skimping but NF is hard to beat.

Between those two, I've only had minimal experience with Vortex and was pleased. What I've learned on glass... dont skimp. I've replaced all my cheaper scopes with high end ones now that I'm "all growed up." Best decision ever was to get my Nightforce NXS... but that's not under $1k. Not saying Vortex is skimping but NF is hard to beat.

I am growed up too.
Bought two NSX. very HAPPY.
I also own a Leupold FX3 12X. Last week I got a sight picture at 1000yds thru a SS 12X. . If I were looking at shooting 3 to 5 on a budget, I would at least want to look at the SS. I do not endorse any of this stuff. I have had a couple Vortex scopes. Certainly a variable has more to it. Glass and features other than variable were not superior.

I recently picked up that Vortex. Love it. I have no experience with the SWFA though. But no complaints on the Vortex here.

I have three SWFA 5-20's. I've looked through the vortex and the clarity seemed good for the price but the SWFA has proven itself to me to be the best value when considering glass clarity, tracking and overall durability.

If you are comparing the 4-16 PST to the 5-20 SWFA, the SWFA has the better glass, but the only way you can get it on your budget is used (they show up on this forum often).

I'm a NF guy but actually love my DMR G2. I have a few SWFA's that I bought for the closet guns and I bought after I had felt a few PST's I like the SWFA knobs much better but people say the PST's track great. I wish the SWFA had a Christmas tree reticle but they do the job without.

I would recommend a DMR with G2 reticle over either of those but the SS 5-20 gets my nod if not.

Better yet, you can save for NF but if you desire FFP then it will be double your budget.

Good luck.

If you're going to shoot 300,400,500 yds, I'd get the Hubble. :)

I have a two vortex scopes, albeit not a PST, and really like them.

I have an SWFA, Vortex Viper, and got a Weaver Tactical 3-15x50 moa/moa,in FFP, and I swear by it. I also have a NF NXS 3.5-15, very very good glass, truth is they all passed the box test, and tracked great. I'd at least look through the Weaver Tactical FFP, but if not, Vortex PST, or the Midway exclusive if they have it in ($499). But like stated, if that's all your gonna be shooting is from 3-500yds.... Why not a fixed 10x?

Neither, if you don't need illumination.

Bushnell Elite 6-24x50 G2DMR from LIBERTY OPTICS.

+10000000000000000 One of the best reticle's out there. Also you don't need 20x+ to get out to your distances. A good 10x or 12x will do just perfect. Save yourself some money and get s SWFA 10x or 12x for $299.

Wouldn't it be something to see a Christmas tree reticle in a SWFA 5-20 HD?

Having used both, i prefer the Vortex out of the two u mentioned. However, if u save up just a tad more, I'd snag a gently used 3.5-21 DMR w/ G2 off of here.

Groundhogbuster,I did not realize the weaver came in moa/moa. How does it compare to your NF?

I also was tossing around the idea between the two. I have Narrowed it down to the Vortex, Simply because you have the factory warranty, The SWFA looks great as well.

I own the swfa and have a few friends with pst. Glass is definitely better in the swfa vs the 3 different 6-24 pst I have seen. Swfa has more internal travel if that matters, 10 mil knobs are nice too. Overall swfa just feels sturdier than the pst to me. That being said the pst seem more refined, I prefer the reticle on the psts. And the may ring and paralax adjust are both smoother and easier to use on the pst. Everyone knows vortex warranty is hard to beat. If you can catch a group buy price id go for the swfa. But paying full retail. I would lean towards the pst. Both scopes seem to get the job done just fine from what I have seen.

In the $800 Price range I like the Weaver Tactical 3.5-15x Mil/Mil FFP. Weaver has some amazing glass for the price, in lowlight condition, it is just as bright as my NFs.

I own both, and I haven't made up my mind which is "better". At this point, I'd say go with the Vortex Viper PST 6-24 FFP mainly because you can actually buy one in your $1000 price range. Even used, the SWFA is going to probably run you around $1200.

I picked up one of those Weaver Tactical FFP 3-15x scopes on the Hide classifieds, and it's quite an impressive scope for the money.

I also snagged a NIB Bushnell DMR 3.5-21x with the G2 reticle for under $1100, and would highly recommend it to anyone who is looking for the sweet spot in tactical scope value.

I also snagged a NIB Bushnell DMR 3.5-21x with the G2 reticle for under $1100, and would highly recommend it to anyone who is looking for the sweet spot in tactical scope value.

I just got to look at one of these from a 1000 yd position. WoW. Xuck the oil company. Hitchhike and drive with this for 1K.

Of your two options the SWFA. But...

At such short ranges you don't need crazy elevation adjustment. I'd get a Zeiss.

Last edited:
Out of the two I'd take the Vortex hands down. For a little more, I'd go for the Bushnell though.

I own or have owned the 4-16 PST, 6-24 PST, weaver edmr 3-15, and SS 5-20. IMO the SS absolutely kills the PST's in glass quality. No contest. If you can stretch your budget a little north of 1k a used bushnell 3-21 or ss 5-20 really are that much better than the sub 1k scopes. If you can't stretch over 1k I personally feel the weaver is a step above the PST.

I frankly don't get all the folks voting for the pst over the swfa. Being that the swfa is often compared to the razor, seems odd that folks would choose the pst.

I've owned both, I just don't see the pst as being in the same league.

Mind you, I think the pst is a great scope for the money, but an swfa 5-20 it is not.

The bushie gas been getting a lot of attention lately, I'm going to have to get behind one to see what all the fuss is about.

I frankly don't get all the folks voting for the pst over the swfa. Being that the swfa is often compared to the razor, seems odd that folks would choose the pst.

I've owned both, I just don't see the pst as being in the same league.

Mind you, I think the pst is a great scope for the money, but an swfa 5-20 it is not.

The bushie gas been getting a lot of attention lately, I'm going to have to get behind one to see what all the fuss is about.

People just vote for whatever they own because it makes them feel better about using/purchasing it.

between the two, SWFA Easy.

(And I have owned and used both)

Groundhogbuster,I did not realize the weaver came in moa/moa. How does it compare to your NF?

You won't believe me until you look through one. I was a Leupy man for years until I tried NF, then a local store got a new Tactical Weaver in. It was mil/mil, but looked (in the store) better than the NF. Well in the field it's not as razor sharp, but it still smokes my MK4 for clarity, I also love the FFP and the mil dot reticle. I never shot 300yds on anything but 20x until I got this scope, and now even to 600yd I find myself on no more than 10x ever. I ordered the moa/moa, just because that's what I'm used to doping, but if they had a reticle like Vortex's Quad Mil. or even something with lines instead of the dots, I'd replace several more optics. Give em a try. Midway has been runnin them at less than $600 too.And that's a glass etched, moa/moa, FFP SF optic, that's made in Japan, like we remember the good ole Weavers. I still have a 15x fixed pwr Weaver about 10yrs old made in Japan, and even though I haven't mounted it, I look through it sometimes just to compare to other optics. It's bright, and super sharp.

The SWFA is very rugged, there is no feeling of weakness in any way. The glass is excellent, at least on my 5-20 and 1-6. Reticles on all three of my SWFA scopes are very easy on the eye, they make you relax when viewing through them.

I would go SWFA.

The SWFA is very robust, like steve said. Not that the PST is cheap you can just tell it's not built as solidly as the SWFA unit.

Another 3x15 weaver here....its worth the praise for the price..