• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1000 yard shooting ranges near cincinnati.

rockybrashear

Private
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2009
Cincinnati Ohio
im looking for a 1000 yard rifle range near enough to cincinnati to make it worth a weekend trip. something that i dont have to have a membership for.

Re: 1000 yard shooting ranges near cincinnati.

You can shoot at Ft. Knox. The Kentucky State Rifle and Pistol Association is authorized to run shooting tournaments there, and, typically they schedule four or five 1000 yard NRA governed events each year. You can Google them for match entry details.

Shooting under match conditions, with target pullers in the pit, allows for call/strike analysis. This is important if you want to become a real good long range shooter.

Also one at Rayners Range that is out to 1000 yards now. No membership needed. A call ahead to make sure nothing else is going on is all that is needed. $10.00 for the day to shoot.

http://www.raynersrange.com/

Topstrap

Rayners is nice but I would recomend going to see Tom at thunder valley. Great setup and you will be able to shoot along some pretty good shooters. It's well worth the trip. I don't mind driving up there from Louisiana. I'm planning on coming up there soon.

Guess someday we'll get good too.
smile.gif

Was just offering another option for a place to shoot. Both are nice ranges although a bit different in the way they are shot.

Topstrap

Rayner's must be doing something right average attendance for the yr is about 35 a match Feb thru Oct . Come on out and join us, Rain or Snow or even the rare ''SUNNY'' day.Its all loads of FUN !!

There is a new range being built in Park City KY. I think it has just opened. I am in West Harrison IN, just about 25 minutes to the west of you. I did map search and it is about about 3.5 hours from here. That's about the same as Thunder Vally. It might be worth checking out.

I'm with topstrap on this one. I haven't shot Thunder Valley but will try it in the future. I have shot Rayner's place and it is very different and has multiple targets from 200m to 1000m. Tom has a list of targets and sizes for each distance. And for 10 bucks you cannot go wrong. Of course this is entirely my opinion. My next step is going to TVP.

Tom at Rayners cleared some trees out and now has a full 1000 yards. I made a new thread under the competitions about his last match coming up on the the 24th of October. Should be a beautiful day with all the fall colors.

Topstrap

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigWill214</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No reason to get all hostile about it.</div></div>

That would require a cranial transplant in this particular case. Haven't you realized your opinion only matters if it agrees with his there crybaby?
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MM_usnr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigWill214</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No reason to get all hostile about it.</div></div>

That would require a cranial transplant in this particular case. Haven't you realized your opinion only matters if it agrees with his there crybaby?
wink.gif
</div></div>

I've talked with him on the side. I guess all of it could have been handled differently.

BigWill Just go shoot at Rayner's, it is a better <span style="font-weight: bold">overall environment</span> anyway. Well worth my drive of 9 hours to shoot amongst folks who don't believe they are God's gift to long range shooting.

If you do like the BR scene, White Horse and Harry Jones in WV are excellent places to shoot, and are still IBS sanctioned. Oh, they go out of their way to make sure everyone has a great match also.

This doesn't need to turn into a who has the best range pissing match but seeing what is available for the shooters is very helpful. Both facilities are ultra great but they differ slightly in the match format. I happen to go to Rayners more often because for the gun I shoot the benches make it easier but I don't consider myself a benchrest shooter but rather a long distance steel plate shooter. I have shot at Thunder Valley on the short course and had a great time and found it quite challenging also.

They are geared towards the tactical style with shooting prone but they did accomodate me with my lil tripod and flat plate so I could shoot my handgun off it. I know I slowed things up with my trying to find the targets BUT that was mainly because I use a cheap poor quality pistol scope and it's hard enough to find easy targets with it.

Nothing was said while me and my shooting buddy Dale took extra time to shoot our stations targets. We're both planning on going out to TVP to try his long range match out to 1165 yards and do hope they allow us to do so with our much inferior equipment. We're there to be competitive but also to have fun and share the day with others.

Both ranges have a lot to offer, visit both and then make comparisons and judgements. There will always be personality differences but don't let what we all enjoy stop you from enjoying what each range has to offer.

It would be nice to mabe get the two range owners together and have a month where we each go to each others ranges for their matches. Might be good for both groups that cater to a particular one to do a meet and greet and have an enjoyable experience.

Just my thoughts on this....

Topstrap

Top,

We enjoyed having you here. Hope to see you again soon.
I just spoke with Mr.Rayner tonite about that very thing.
We will be working on something soon I'm sure.
I let my shooters choose what they want to do here dispite what people may hear. We shoot different formats yes but there is a reason for what we do. We can adjust formats for certain events. We have a great BUNCH of shooters here and a very fun and friendly environment, even when I'm here..lol. I'm only hard to get along with when someone is trash talking and being a coward or sore loser like every range has.
We want to add benches for our pistol shooters and our older gents who dont want to lay down on the ground for 2011.
We will schedule a range day and build them if anyone has any ideas.
Also, your welcome to come to our party on the 23rd of Oct. and shoot from the building or two other positions with your pistol. We will have steel at 200 300 400 500 600 700 1000 1100 1200 and a mile as well as POS 1 short and long open.

Thanks,

Thanks for the links...I was looking for one of these as well. I'm going to have to make a day trip one day
smile.gif