• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1000-Yard SKS

Re: 1000-Yard SKS

I appreciate your footwork on this one rpk. It was pretty tough and ugly wasn't it? That is at 600. I am not concerned in the least that it will ever be done at 1000. The round is still supersonic at 600yds so we have yet to even come close to the falling completely apart stage. I wish I still had an SKS if for no other reason than to roundly dispell the myth that a 7.62x39 round is capable of accurate aimed fire at 1000yds. Again I want to point out that at 1000yds the 7.62 Chinese ammo should have been subsonic for 300yds. Not too big of a problem with a 200gr SMK or any other bullet known to come through the transonic zone well, but I am betting it is one hell of a ballistic conundrum for a stubby,pointed, short bearing surface, 123gr .311 caliber bullet. I am betting you will need a spot to aim in the trees beyind the berm. I did the math for you. Now that you have a 600yd zero use that and hold over 42.5 feet at 1000yd. That should get you as close as you will ever get. The more I think about the whole thing and the more I work the numbers the more I think that 3 shots in a piece of plywood at 1000yd would be almost impossible with 32 rounds. I didn't think an SKS was graduated to anything close to 1000yds on the rear sight. Thanks again and good luck and have fun.

If I had an SKS and wanted to try it at 1000 yards, I'd probably load some 190gr SMKs, or 200gr SMKs long to kiss lands, over H335 or RL-7, looking for 1900-1950 fps.

In local atmo it looks like it would reach 1K at around 1040 fps, and need about 65 moa correction.

Just a shitz-n-gigglz thing for sure, but the longer SMKs would probably fly a heckuva lot better than the factory bullet.

Looking a little deeper,

Sierra offers a .311" 174gr Matchking. Quickload suggests 2100 fps from a 20" bbl via H335. That would make 1K at about 1065 fps/58.50 moa in local atmo.

TulaTangentSight.jpg

1951 Tula Arsenal SKS rear tangent.

Cheers,

Sirhr

The sks was a failure for what it was designed for, full auto. And was retired before ever being put in service by the Russians as the AK47 came along before
the sks was made to work. It only saw service in the korean war by the north koreans. It's not going to shoot 1000 with any accuracy unless you pull the stock
off and mount a different gun on it. They do, however, make a dandy fence post
in a pinch.

This seems like a common 12 year olds question. My first rifle was a SKS too. I also watched "shooter". I didn't try to mix them. Its like those kids that soup up the Chevy Aveos. You can put all the money and time in the world in it, but at the end of the day its still a chevy aveo.

you should get one of those "counter snipers". Anything glass with sniper in the name has got to be quality. lol

1000 yards with an sks? Hmm, not sure why you would want to use 7.63x39 as a 1000 yard round but that's your interest, not mine. Along these types of rifles I used a Romanian PSL 7.62x54R at 700 and that was a lot of fun.

Some PSLs are inaccurate as can be and others can be set up to be quite the shooter.

What about, if someone had an internally supressed SKS with a 26" barrel, counter sniper scope, tasco rings, a bipod that attaches to the barrel, an ATI stock and tiger 123gr FMJ's? Could it make the shot then?

Get a pristine Yugo M59/66 (longer barrel).

Get a side rail mounted to the receiver, followed by a good mount and optic.

Load up something that works.

Possibly change out the stock.

And maybe.