• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up 1000 yd range in north-central Florida...

codlinjr

Private
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2005
SE FL
without letting the proverbial cat out of the bag just yet, I'd like to gage potential interest and get useful feedback.

Details:
1) individual landowner with enough acreage to support 1000 yd range
2) near the Gainsville/Ocala area
3) would not be an open public range or likely even a club
4) 10-15 covered and elevated shooting positions
5) depending on interest, range would be available at specific days/times throughout the week and a "reservation" (via website or email) would be required to shoot
6) "reservations" would be for a 4-hour block of time, i.e. 0800-noon, noon-1600. this would ensure you have a spot on the line with no waiting or wondering if the line will be too full to shoot
7) owner is not looking at this as a money maker, more of a way to offset the cost of his private range while offering others a place to shoot 1000 yds, as we all know they are few and far between
8) possibility of future long range matches/competitions as well as training classes

So with that, what I would like to find out is:

- how much local interest is there in such a facility?
- what would be a "fair" price for a reserved 4-hour block of time? $10-$20?
- what days of the week would most people be interested in? I'm guessing weekends obviously, but what about weekdays... any interest there?

Please chime in with feedback and any other questions.

Re: 1000 yd range in north-central Florida...

i know im interested a long drive but would go if it had the yardage that you speak of,

thanks for the reply cowboy. I'm a little surprised no one else has expressed interest... maybe everyone on here shoots at Manatee and is content with them

Gunner,
Most would agree that manatee is great range and it set up well. The one thing I would like to see in a range is the ability have a course/range that is set up for unknown distances. If the land owner is agreeable to that. I know of a few that would have no problem with the drive/ and fees.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DirtDart</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gunner,
Most would agree that manatee is great range and it set up well. The one thing I would like to see in a range is the ability have a course/range that is set up for unknown distances. If the land owner is agreeable to that. I know of a few that would have no problem with the drive/ and fees. </div></div>

...noted, thank you for the input.

I am on the fence. It might not be worth the extra drive vs BSF's 850 yard range for me. I am in North St. Johns County.

Even if it wasn't my main range, Id still use it from time to time.

I would like to use it from time to time as well. The price per block of time sounds fair.

I would be interested, just about a 30-40 min drive for me to Ocala/ Gainsville area. Most of my range time is spent at Bradford and would love another place to shoot close by.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DirtDart</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gunner,
Most would agree that manatee is great range and it set up well. The one thing I would like to see in a range is the ability have a course/range that is set up for unknown distances. If the land owner is agreeable to that. I know of a few that would have no problem with the drive/ and fees. </div></div>

Id be one of them.
Manatee is only 1 1/2hrs from me but I would drive the extra hour if it was worth it.
Tactical course or large structure to setup in would be nice and to top it off....Moving Targets..
cool.gif

and a place to stalk....just throwing out ideas..
grin.gif

AL

I know it seems silly but I am looking at possibly buying a place in florida for retirement. One of my criteria is access to a 1000 yd range and tactical competitions. Yes, I would be interested.

thanks for the info everyone, please keep it coming. some of the ideas mentioned so far probably are possible, but it will come down to having enough interest to warrant the changes and/or upgrades.

It would be a drive equal to Manatee but I'd be interested. It would be nice to plan a day off during the week when possible and book the time.

How near G-ville / Ocala? East or West of I-75? What town?

I know of a farmer in Hastings (approx 20 miles east of St. Augustine) who acquired land and is building a 1K range along with other ranges for rifle and pistol. I believe this farmer wants it to be a club though.

I'am in the G-ville area and know of other shooters that are in the area that would definately attend a 1,000 yd range. Hope it would be user friendly for Tactical,Bench and prone shooting.

Berms at 300,500, 600 and 1,000 could support a wide variety of shooting disaplines.

The fees ($) are in line. Hope this takes off,would love to see it.

Regards

Mark

I'am in the G-ville area and know of other shooters that are in the area that would definately attend a 1,000 yd range. Hope it would be user friendly for Tactical,Bench and prone shooting.

Berms at 300,500, 600 and 1,000 could support a wide variety of shooting disaplines.

The fees ($) are in line. Hope this takes off,would love to see it.

Regards

Mark

I am definitely interested but would be more on weekends. More details on location please.

There are very few ranges around out to 1k and Gainsville/Ocala is a nice central location. One range here charges $20 for a 2/hr time block and you get 30 minutes for both setup and cleanup. Seems like an acceptable price.

Problem is the economy. I shoot long range every weekend and its common for me to be the only one on the line. Works out good for me though. Another problem is that precision rifle is a very pricey sport even if you go cheap. Add to that the fact that tactical matches end up favoring race guns and reloaders and the new guys that want to compete...can't.

Me and my two buddys would be interested were in jax.

LR-WSM i would like to know more

Battleaxe which range are you talking about

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: watereddownevil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Battleaxe which range are you talking about </div></div>
Bradford Sportsmans Farm

I would be interested in this as well. Currently I go to Bradford Sportsmans Farm on weekends.

keep it coming guys, i'm passing all of this info on... looking better as time goes by

I know i would be interested. I am sure some of my budies would be in as well. I may even be interested in volunteering if time is flexable.

Just getting into the long range scene. Waiting on parts for my build but once I'm up and running, I'll be looking for a place to shoot. I'm definitely interested.

I'd probably be interested if you all started some tac/precision rifle matches.

i am new and not ready for 1k but would intrested in having one around. would be willing to help build/setup the range in any hands on way i could

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: linedrive301ft</div><div class="ubbcode-body">gunner,

Any up-date or progress happening? </div></div>

nothing yet that I know of. last I knew he was still doing some research... patience young grasshopper:) rest assured, you guys here will be among the first to know if/when it's a go.

Any updates? Live in Yulee,Fl but willing to drive .

I'm in Orlando but would drive to that range.

I'm interested as well. Would it be possible for us to store steel targets there?