• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1000yd Slug Gun (Shotgun)?

excaliber

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 29, 2011
Abingdon,Va
This may sound crazy, but my friend shoots his Savage model 212 slug gun at long distances. The furthest he has hit is 633yds, that was a 10inch x 12inch plate, the next target was at 750yds, he never hit the 10inch round plate but he threw dirt on it several times. It is a very consistant gun considering what it is. The other day my other friend bought some 12gauge shells that where loaded with the 647gr API BMG bullets and gave them to the slugster. He now wants to try to hit a 1000yds with them. The problem is the twist in the factory barrel is 32 twist. That is for convential sabot slugs. But to shoot the API`s he will need a faster twist. Now we need to know, does anybody else shoot some kind of long range slug gun? He needs B.C. to get there and the API`s have alot more than the standard slugs. Maybe someday he can do it!

Re: 1000yd Slug Gun (Shotgun)?

Sorry no help here but just posted to ask you to please iron out a 1,000yd slug gun for me and I'll buy ten of them! A lot of the counties around me are shotgun/slug only (for deer) so this would be considered a miracle, really.

Dont worry about BC just adjust 1 limb left and 2 limbs up !!!
Cant wait to see this one. Will call into work if I have to.

old95b10, you have to explain what you mean about 1 limb left and 2 limbs up.

I have never heard of a 12 Ga slug being used out to that kind of distance wow i would love to see video of this if not even in person.

Well now I know that You are who I thought you were.
And I know what and when you were talkin about cause I was spottin for you when you tried to hit 650 with a slug gun.
We used a tree behind the plate for holdover, figured it was about 40' tall and that was close to what you needed so you held the top of the tree and missed buy about 3'. I sat up and told you that the miss was 3' to one side , you asked for correction and I told you to hold Half a limb to the left.
You know aint nobody gonna beleive this other than the folks that saw it first hand.
And if a 3' miss is to much they will all think it's a lie when Big Don hit it twice after changing scopes.
But yes I have saw a slug gun hit a 24" x 24" plate at 633 yards.

thats insane.. the drop on a slug at 200 yds has got to be huge...4ft?

Oh i believe it is possible to try and do i just have never heard of anyone doing it... wont lie i would love to see it done would be fun to see or do

Well the drop at 633 is around 40'+ . Dont have any real numbers myself. but the second time we tried and hit it twice our buddy who owns the gun ,had put his Good scope on it and he had done some math and could tell you the hold over in mils as he was the one shooting that day.

Hey ch`e, if you don`t like this post, then go to another one. Nobody says you have to look at it. Oh, I get it, your just jealous.

Hell why not ? I aint a sniper and shoot longrange for fun.
I'am not above shooting anything. Is it a good idea ?
Well hell no, but we aint shootin at a deer or something alive.
So no chance of a wounded steel plate limping off to die.
All for fun. so have fun with it.
Take off all your WAR FACES and have some damn fun !

We should get togeather an see how far we can spin bottle caps ,it will be equally as usfull as a 1k shotgun

Wouldn't this technically be indirect fire?
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ch'e</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We should get togeather an see how far we can spin bottle caps ,it will be equally as usfull as a 1k shotgun </div></div>
In your case ch'e, maybe you would prefer sheep throwing. I hear its big in N.Z.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wadcutter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ch'e</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We should get togeather an see how far we can spin bottle caps ,it will be equally as usfull as a 1k shotgun </div></div>
In your case ch'e, maybe you would prefer sheep throwing. I hear its big in N.Z. </div></div>whadya mean throwing ,why waste a good sheep lol

I know you could look at this as a waste of time.
And to some it would be. Our buddy was waitin on parts to finish his BIG gun a .338 norma mag, and nothing to shoot but the slug gun at the time. while we were lettin the barrels cool off Excaliber got the shot gun and tossed a few rounds at the short plate and damn near hit it at 650. Our buddy that owns the shot gun had a free scope as his rifle was still being built.next time he had
dropped it on it. This time he dinged the fucker twice in 5 rounds with 3 spottin the dust and workin it in.No it may not be as fun as sheep stuff but it was cool to see a plate hit at 600+ with a shotgun.

I didnt mean to be over the top rude but I am sure you understand my "why bother" on the 1k plus area.sheep are ok but Im more jealous that santa bought Wadutter a koala cock warmer for Xmas

I was shocked at how accurate rifled slugs shoot.
But getting the holes to touch is easier with bigger holes.

Slugster only bothered because he didn't have anything else to shoot that day, as I wasn't finished with his .338 Norma at the time. He simply came out to watch us shoot, and show us his new Savage Slug Gun, and we told him to shoot it. It started as a joke, but we then realized the accuracy of it, and were high;y impressed. What can you say, but a bunch of bored rednecks. LOL

How many mils, or should I say (hours) should we hold to hit 1000yds?

I love it!!! Sounds like a lot of fun guys. Is that a Sierra Game King loaded into that shell lol?

LOL now that looks interesting. Let me know how it works for you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Maelek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thats insane.. the drop on a slug at 200 yds has got to be huge...4ft? </div></div>

It's possible, but I think the scope base will be something ridiculous because of the drop.

Does it hold minute of grid square?

Do you guys think the Savage will out shoot the thumper?

i was thinking of a version of this for a while. i was thinking of loading 50 beowulf bullets in place of slugs to turn my saiga 12 into a hog killer. i was thinking penatration would be better with the rifle bullet and with the shorter beowulf round would hide inside the shell so it functions in the gun. if im way off let me know just thinking of ideas to drop pigs.

Hey Bigbiggun, I don`t see why that won`t work. Matter of fact, that sounds like a good idea.

Yea, That BIG Savage sticker on the buttstock is what makes that gun a SHOOTER!

Many years ago, I bought a Browning Gold Hunter 12 ga. from an old guy that claimed to have killed a whitetail at 400 yards with said Gold Hunter. Well, the weapon was like new, like he advertised. Well maintained and cleaned. The Nikon Prostaff 2-7x32 was like new and clean, like he advertised. The price was right. So his story was alright with me.
After reading this thread, combined with the fact that everything else that the old fellow said was true... well... his story is still alright with me.

Real sure I would never shoot at a deer at 400 with a shot gun.
But could it be done? Yes I saw it myself ( had I not ,I would have also called BULLSHIT ) For fun at a target why not?
The folks I shoot with aint snobs about shootin. If all you have is a 30.40 krag, Hell bring it and we will see what can be done.
.303 brit with iron sights at 600+ why heck yeah load that thing and put her down range.
The day our buddy hit the 633 with a shotgun twice , We were all shootin to 1400 with the big guns.I cant remember who had a good day or who had a bad day. But I remember havin more fun spotting for a shotgun than I did hitting with my BIG gun!

Its already been done so to speak. As most things with rifles and shotguns are. Brass Case 700+ grains 2700 + fps. These guys wanted a DG rifle.

Its affectionately called the 12 ga From Hell or 12GA FH around the forums

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=178655

Been following that thread over on THR for quite a while. That guy builds some monster guns.

I bet recoil is terrible with the 12Gauge from Hell. We have got to figure out a way to hit a 1000yds with a slug gun. Somebody has got to have an idea.

That's pretty good in my book. If I understand the first posting correctly, the shooter was able to hit a plate that was 10"X12"? At 633 yards? I don't know much as a service rifle shooter, but I do know that the MR-1 target at 600 has an X ring of 6". The 10 ring is 12". That's a 2 minute slug gun! Holy guacamole! I'm just looking for the 10 ring myself, and he's destroying the target and the frame with those rounds! I wonder how it performs at the 200 rapid sitting, and 300 rapid prone! Offhand? Wait, 633 yards, right? That's a little better than 2 min. What do I know? Anyway, good for the shooter! That's what I call a hard holder! I'll stay tuned for the next range report. Good job Sluggo! I also agree that having fun is what it's all about!

Doug

Google: Souvestre 12ga sabot slug. Discarding sabot, fin stabilized for smooth bored shotgun. Just like your 120mm Abrams tank gun. Incredible performance.

It`s all fun as long as your buddy buys the shells! Those slugs he shoots are about $4 a piece.

The Big Guy will have to step back to bologna and cheap bread
to keep shooting for this .

OK, I'm gonna take this semi-seriously.

I think a 20ga might deliver better sectional density with a shorter projectile length, and I'm not sure, but maybe the barrel wall may be a tad thicker too. Maybe the 20ga could be a way to get more out of the twist rate. The 220 twist rate is 1:24". Sierra list the .45-70 twist rate as 1:22"

I think it's not too hard to envision a 220 performing on a par with the old Buffalo rifles.

Using 3" hull with a sabot and a bullet that has a decent BC could get interesting. Maybe something around a .458.

Looking at the Hornady 20ga FTX sabot slug load, the reference is to the 250gr FTX bullet. The only 250gr FTX round they reference is the 45 Bushmaster. Their 20ga FTX Slug ballistics list a .200bc at a 1500fps MV. That's in the .45-70 performance ballpark. Hornady makes a 500gr .458 Interlock with a BC of .287.

Also, the factory 250gr slug load bullet would arrive without any rifling marks, and travel subsonic for pretty much everything beyond just a little over 200yd. List is about $3 oper round.

Loading up a bit hotter might be an option. Recoil could be better than the 212 too. Suppressors?

12ga, nice. 20ga, maybe nicer...

Think about it.

Greg

You may be right on all counts.
But the big guy only had the 12ga. So that is what they shot.
Aint like anyone planned this out. Was just something to do while the barrels cooled. When the first round dropped within 3" of the target everyone was a bit surprised to say the least!
Thanks for the info as I may pick up the 20ga to put some heat on the big guy!!!!!

Went looking for .458 bullets with better BC's and found four bullets by Barnes with BC's in the high .300's and low .400's, along with load data for the.458 Win Mag. I post the link to confirm the BC's and bullet descriptions; <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic"><span style="color: #CC0000">obviously the loads are not compatible with the 20ga</span></span></span>.

LMAO I would love to see this done. Help is love to time the round impact. You could eat a sandwhich and then hear the ping.