• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

100YP & 100YB - TQ4 SH Comps - Open Iron Sights

JoeMartin

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2008
USA
I'm not sure but I don't believe anyone has shot either of these matches [100YP-TQ4 - 100 Yards Prone & 100YB-TQ4 - 100 Yards Bench] during our monthly SH Comps with Open Iron Sights as yet?

I think I'll give it a try with the Marlin 925 as I like to challenge myself, and I'm curious as to just how well (or poorly) I can do at this range without a scope?

Granted, I don't see as well as I use to when using iron sights, however I just get a bit bored using a scope after awhile. This ought to be a nice break from the regular scope routine.

I'll run some ballistic drop tables for use after I get my 25 yard zero, and work my way out to 100 yards in 25 yard sets. I'll use the 1085 fps Eley Sport as to avoid the transition wobble effect after 70 - 80 yards with the HV stuff.

Re: 100YP & 100YB - TQ4 SH Comps - Open Iron Sights

That could be fun but I would join you but with hunting season coming most of time will be spent in the field rather than the range. The results will be interesting look forward to seeing them.

I hear you on the hunting season. I hunt our December muzzle loading season that is a month long. Hunting this season gives me a few more months at the Range with the .22's...

I think once I get zeroed (off the bench) at 100 yards with the open iron, I'll shoot a SH Comp target and then work on some 4 position (offhand, kneeling, setting, prone) shooting from 100 yards. I'd kind of like to get comfortable with this type shooting. I'm not sure I even want to use a bi-pod - perhaps just utilize the sling from the prone position.

If I can keep the shots in the black at 100 yards - I'd be happy.
smile.gif

between the 4p comps and the silhouette shooting i do, i was able to (with mucho confidence) bag a grouse today, offhand, 43 yards. 2nd one with the .22 mag, but this one was offhand rather than bipod.

besides getting better on paper, doing these comps transfers well to being afield.

I shot these four 100 yard targets from the bench this morning using open iron sights and a bi-pod after I had gotten fairly zeroed out to 100 yards. I don't think they're to bad?

100_0625.jpg

I really enjoyed shooting this distance with the open sights. I had to take a '12 o'clock' hold as I ran out of elevator adjustment on the Marlin 925 rear sight it comes with. I'll upgrade to a Marbles I'm thinking?

Top Left Target - 195-1x (Aguila Golden Eagle Target - 1100 fps)

Top Right Target - 173-1x (Winchester T22 - 1150 fps)

Low Left Target - 214-0x (Eley Sport - 1085 fps)

Low Right Target - 206-1x (Fed 711B - 1080 fps)

[all bullets were 40 grain]

The low left target will be my October "Open Iron Sights" entry in our SH 100 yard comps, which I'll post in a bit.

The Eley Sport at 1085 fps gave the best results. The Federal 711B at 1080 fps (low right target - 206-1x) wasn't bad, but the Eley Sport ammo gave the better group.

I could get use to this kind of shooting real easy!!!
smile.gif