• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft 101 uses for Bamboo

ArcticLight

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2003
Silverdale, WA
Just in case a few of you did not know this.

Survival situation of course..

Bamboo grows just about everywhere and a lot of times it has a dead stalk or two around it.

You've probably all seen Bear grills make fishing spears from it - works great.
Or you can cut 3" above the node, vertically remove 2" of that and sharpen what's left - for bigger game.

Bamboo can be used as a straw to get water from moss, or other hard to reach holes where water make exist.
Bamboo sometimes HOLDS water as well if you are thirsty you can cut into green bamboo and recover water.
Bamboo for starting fires - one piece of different wood, split a piece of bamboo in half and create a friction fire.
Bamboo for food - those little shoots coming out of the ground have water and carbs/protein in them and can supplement you for days..
Bamboo for starting bigger fires - There is NO finer kindling to use than Bamboo - it burns damn near white hot.
Bamboo for holding water - obviously, larger 4" pieces with a 10" long node would work. Y ou can also cook in the water as bamboo gets HOT...just don't apply direct heat and make sure it's GREEN bamboo not dried bamboo.
Bamboo for furniture - so you can sit comfortably by that fire or sleep off the ground.
Bamboo Walking Stick
Bamboo for carrying stuff (pole across your back with equal weight on each side).
And of course while you are sitting by the fire eating the fish you just speared you can make a bamboo flute from it to keep your mind busy.
I made a bamboo shank, much like a spear but just for fun - I had a piece of dried golden bamboo lying about.
I also made a waterproof container out of it - keeping two end noes intact, cut in half and then inserted other split bamboo to hold it together - seal with tree sap..
Bird house but I don't make those...Freddies sells them for $19 tho..
That's not 101 uses but if I were in a survival situation I'd be looking for bamboo first and foremost.
Next time a liberal complains about global warming suggest planting bamboo, as it releases 7 times the amount of 02 than a regular tree does, it's a hard wood when dried and it really does have 10,000 uses...

Good stuff!

flutes2.jpg

Re: 101 uses for Bamboo

Just make sure you encase it in cement, it'll go apeshit on you if you do not (Or get the bundle bamboo vs stringer/spreading bamboo)...

You won't have 1" pieces for a couple of years tho

shove some coke bottle bottoms on each end a some pubes across one end and caller a homemade bsa. hoseclamp it onto yer marlin,yo

Bamboo for boobie traps.

Bamboo for an improvised shotgun, 22 or other low powered shell.

Find a piece that will be close to the diameter of the shotshell.

For example 12 gage would be pretty close to 3/4 inch. Get it as long as you can between joints. Now take some other bamboo and cut it into strips. Like leather pieces. Soak the strips and tightly wrap the bamboo barrel you just created. When the strips dry, you have an improvised barrel. Just use a small nail into the solid piece of your bamboo barrel and devise a method of setting off the primer.

Cane, that they have in the south is simular to bamboo. As a kid you can cut a small piece of bamboo, a corn cob, and steal your uncles pipe tabacco, and out behind the barn you can start your smoking career. (bet you cant guess how I came up with that one).

Bamboo/ River Cane makes excellent torches. It's kinda hard to get the end of a stalk lite, but when you do it will burn SLOW with a weakish yellow super smokey flame.

Sounds poor but if your eyes are adjusted to the darkness a 'boo torch is great, handy and fits the bill nicely.

Some caves are loaded with 'boo/cane stub where natives went into the caves with torches to explore or have meetings.

Great/fun post.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: freerunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Heck, I'm gonna plant some this spring now that I have read this. </div></div>

Just be careful with what species you buy. Some species of Bamboo are extremely invasive and almost impossible to remove once the take over has happened.

It makes one of the best security fence & incredible structural privacy barriers that you can get . & also grows for little-$ of nothing on the Landowners part .
seems that USDA & along with, Department of Homeland Security have a case of the RedAss over the stuff also .

Bamboo Cultivation in U.S. ILLEGAL by 2008
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/bamboo/msg04144636922.html

From the link above, I have quoted here:

"<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Department of Homelad Security chief</span></span> <span style="font-size: 14pt">Michael Chertoff</span>, added, "<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Privacy in America is a quaint, outdated concept.</span></span> That’s why we support this legislation. The abolition of bamboo screening in the yards of America <span style="text-decoration: underline">will make it much easier for people to see what their neighbors are up to.</span> The passage of this law is one small victory in the larger war against terror."

Now seriously, if PRIVACY is so "irrelevant and non-essential" (my words) I wonder how happy this [person] would be if his details were exposed and available to all. I also wonder who/what groups would take THAT as a challenge?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sean the Nailer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">From the link above, I have quoted here:

"<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Department of Homelad Security chief</span></span> <span style="font-size: 14pt">Michael Chertoff</span>, added, "<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Privacy in America is a quaint, outdated concept.</span></span> That’s why we support this legislation. The abolition of bamboo screening in the yards of America <span style="text-decoration: underline">will make it much easier for people to see what their neighbors are up to.</span> The passage of this law is one small victory in the larger war against terror."

Now seriously, if PRIVACY is so "irrelevant and non-essential" (my words) I wonder how happy this [person] would be if his details were exposed and available to all. I also wonder who/what groups would take THAT as a challenge? </div></div>

Surely this is a joke!? That sounds like a story from "The Onion". If not..... wow.... just wow...

No joke, just daily reality is just getting scarier with Dept.of HS overstepping & implemented in setting legal precedent on every step .
Just more obscure new Ammo for your Fed. Prosecutor to use on Joe-public .
Growing an Illegal Bamboo privacy fence on your own property. Can now be grounds enough to Warrant & get your family home Served & Tossed . All in the name of 'America & public security' .
You must be hiding something ???

Been making arrows with Arrow bamboo http://www.lewisbamboo.com/arrow.html ( note grow in container)Bamboo shoot great tuff as carbon fiber an FREE. lots of info on net http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/topic/23526
http://www.crowsheadoutfitters.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1129

Look you Videos on how to and shooting results

Many other uses as mentioned above, two kinds clumping ( only makes a patch 6-8 ft in Dia.) and running grow in container. Fun to watch grow 3" in a day for some. I have some giant size 4" dia. and 60 Ft fall, Clumping type

http://www.texasbamboosociety.net good read an picother growers around US

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: softcock</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No joke, just daily reality is just getting scarier with Dept.of HS overstepping & implemented in setting legal precedent on every step .
Just more obscure new Ammo for your Fed. Prosecutor to use on Joe-public .
Growing an Illegal Bamboo privacy fence on your own property. Can now be grounds enough to Warrant & get your family home Served & Tossed . All in the name of 'America & public security' .
You must be hiding something ???
.</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As the water gets warmer, the frog blinks...</div></div>

Please adjust your tinfoil hats and look at the date of that gardenweb post.

Hook, Line, and Sinker.

Hey, Illegal cultivation of Bamboo is No Joking Mater .

And here I thought it was only good for motivating 10 year old lazy asses to "get back to work!"....

That & also Singapore public Caning .

BIG BROTHER sez "Don't grow spreading bamboo - it obscures the view of our survellance cameras."

Someday Big Brother will be taught the lessons of the Declaration of Independence by We the People.