• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1022 vs savage

MOOSEKNUCKLE

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2009
Ohio
I did a search and didnt find any threads comparing a 1022 and a Savage. Im looking to move on from my Remy 597 to a Savage bull barrel or a 1022. Just looking for accuracy for target shooting. I want a thumb hole stock and stainless bbl. Any opinions?

Re: 1022 vs savage

Savage. I don't have proof that it's better than a tricked out 10/22, but my mkII-FV is a laser, right out of the box. I threw a Boyde's Tacticool stock on it for $80, and it's darned near perfect . . . all for under $400. I think to get the same accuracy out of the Ruger, you'll have to spend a bit more . . . But there a LOADS of after-market pieces for the 10/22.

I have the Savage MKII GL which is the sporter series that I got for $189. My ruger 10/22 with a Few $$$ upgrade does not out shoot it. You can have a 1000 dollar ruger but will not beat the bolt action of the savage with the accutrigger. Both are a lot of fun to shoot and the ruger will leave you in the streets without money, but it is great fun.

I have the Savage MKII GL which is the sporter series that I got for $189. My ruger 10/22 with a Few $$$ upgrade does not out shoot it. You can have a 1000 dollar ruger but will not beat the bolt action of the savage with the accutrigger. Both are a lot of fun to shoot and the ruger will leave you in the streets without money, but it is great fun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Imurhuckleberry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the Savage MKII GL which is the sporter series that I got for $189. My ruger 10/22 with a Few $$$ upgrade does not out shoot it. You can have a 1000 dollar ruger but will not beat the bolt action of the savage with the accutrigger. Both are a lot of fun to shoot and the ruger will leave you in the streets without money, but it is great fun. </div></div>

This is the truth.The 10/22 is great but also can be addicting to trick it out,depends on how much you want to spend.Savage will shoot right out of the box.

Once I get my MOA SS Receiver,there will be nothing left of the stock 10/22 I started with.If you decide to go the custom route,do your research before spending money,the most expensive is not always the best.Nice thing is you can do it a little at a time and still enjoy shooting it.

I own a ruger and love it. My stock set-up holds an inch at 50 yards easily with Gold Bullets and a little less with better ammo. You'll need a bull barrel ($100-250), free float stock (Re-work the original for free or spend up to $200), new trigger ($80-200) and will have to bed the receiver. All in all, you're tripling the original price at a minimum to get really good accuracy.

I bought a $100 marlin bolt action and it outshoots the ruger all day long. That doesn't mean I didn't get a folding stock and an ER Shaw barrel. It's a really fun squirrel and racoon gun.

Think of the purpose you're using it for and make your decision.

This is difficult, because, including the Charger, I have 8 10/22s (3 shooters).
The Savage will shoot right out of the box; you'll spend time and a lot of money to make the 10/22 shoot as accurately.

Before the optic, my best 10/22 (silhouette, Sportsman's Team Challenge) got a $300 trigger, a $240 barrel(20 years ago) and a stock I'll have to value at $300. A used 6.5x20 Leupold with only an elevation target knob completes the rig.

Is a moose knuckle anything like a camel toe?

I've been more then satisfied with my Savage MKII-FVT, and my son had his MKII BTV dialed in - in no time flat.

Nothing against the Ruger 10/22 - I like it as is from the factory except I did add the TSR200 Aperture Sights to it and have a Fiberforce stock I switch out from the wood one every once in a while. I do enjoy this rifle.

Not having to put heavy expenditures in a firearm is the way I like it and the Savage does offer that. Bringing one (Savage) with the Accu-trigger up to speed is pretty much how much money you want to spend on thinks like; scope, bipod, sling (if you want one) - and that's pretty much it.

From what I've read here and on other sites, the Ruger is a bit more involved bringing a factory 10/22 up to speed. But then it also depends on what you're looking for from it.

Your remy 597 can be just as good of a shooter as the savage or the custom 10/22. But if you buy another gun and dont feel like spending extra or doing work, buy the savage. I have a 10/22 that shoots better than my savage and marlin, however i guess its not a fair comparison because the ruger has a bull barrel, the others do not. I finished my Ruger a few weeks ago and have been nothing but impressed with it after shooting a few times. But it does take work.

I'd go with the Savage for the money. The Ruger has way more aftermarket items out there, but I think out of the box it's pretty hard to beat the Savage for the value. Just my .02 cents

I cant comment on the 1022 as we cant own semis in australia

but the savage is a nice rifle, il stand by mine
smile.gif

They all shoot.

IF you go with a bolt action I would tell you to go with the CZ452 in any mode.

The Ruger 10/22 I would go with this ---><span style="font-weight: bold">LINK</span> do to the fact its cheaper than buying a factory rifle and building it up.

John

The savage over the 10/22 by a long shot.. Every 10/22 I've owned or come across has been a money pit while chasing accuracy..

I currently own a savage mkII BTV now but have recently had the chance to shoot a CZ. I +1 J.Boyette's on picking up a cz452,, simply amazing out of the box rimfire! I've deffinately got a spot here for one in the near future.

Think of the 1022 like the remington 700. To get your desired appearance and performance you will have to spend $$$$$. Or you can get the savage and have a little left over for some better glass, ammo, or whatever. Nothing against ruger rimfires or remington centerfires. That's just my opinion. I was at dicks and stumbled across a MKII a while back. It was last years pre accutrigger model. Clearance price was 170 with a bushnell junk scope. That rifle amazed me the first time out. Dime sized groups at 50 yards. You can't go wrong with a savage! That's my .02

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I cant comment on the 1022 as we cant own semis in australia

smile.gif
</div></div>

I would give up my right to own semis in a new york minute to live down there.
smile.gif

Savage. Yes, you can set the 10/22 w/ thumbhole and bull barrel, and it will be accurate, but it will cost more than the savage out of the box. The Savage model you want will be the BTVS.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BrettSass844</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I cant comment on the 1022 as we cant own semis in australia

smile.gif
</div></div>

I would give up my right to own semis in a new york minute to live down there.
smile.gif
</div></div>

So what's stopping you from moving?

For what you mentioned the savage sounds like the way to go....That being said i love my tricked out 1022 I built up....If was was to do it again i would just order the whole firle from Kidd.....www.coolguysguns.com....His trigger design is simply amazing and makes all the difference on the 1022...

I have a 93R17BTVS savage in .17HMR. It is absolutely amazing how accurate it is right out of the box. I put a Vortex 4-12 Diamondback on it and I can shoot a ragged hole at 50 yards. You are giving up the semi auto factor, which can be very cool in a tricked out ruger, but in the end I think you get a lot more accuracy for the money with a savage rimfire. Get the 17HMR it is super flat and a blast to shoot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CL1KKL4C</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The savage over the 10/22 by a long shot.. Every 10/22 I've owned or come across has been a money pit while chasing accuracy..

</div></div>

So true
i have a $1600 Kidd 10/22 set up and a $400 TR. They shoot about the same. I enjoy shooting the TR as much if not more.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: frog5215</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is difficult, because, including the Charger, I have 8 10/22s (3 shooters).
The Savage will shoot right out of the box; you'll spend time and a lot of money to make the 10/22 shoot as accurately.

Before the optic, my best 10/22 (silhouette, Sportsman's Team Challenge) got a $300 trigger, a $240 barrel(20 years ago) and a stock I'll have to value at $300. A used 6.5x20 Leupold with only an elevation target knob completes the rig.

Is a moose knuckle anything like a camel toe? </div></div>

Yes a MOOSEKNUCKLE is a CAMELTOE
smile.gif
and thanks for the info. It looks like there will be a new Savage in the safe very soon. The .17 is very tempting but you can shoot .22lr all day for $20.

Yeah I made mistake of buying a savage 17 hmr before I bought my Mark II. The 17 was a great gun just cost too much to shoot compared to wolf match 22 LR. The new savage Mark II TR looks like a really nice gun.

Just curious if you have considered going with a Jarvis barrel for the 597 and Volquartsen target hammer? I would check Boyds for a thumbhole stock if that's what you want. I went with those options and snagged a laminated HB stock on the cheap from them a while back.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TXMud</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah I made mistake of buying a savage 17 hmr before I bought my Mark II. The 17 was a great gun just cost too much to shoot compared to wolf match 22 LR. The new savage Mark II TR looks like a really nice gun. </div></div>

I've got 3 Savage rimfires now, and really like them for the price point and the accuracy out of the box!

The 17HMR isn't meant to be a "plinker" like a 22LR. "MOA" capable ammo is also easily available at any normal gun-shop. It is meant to be a short-mid distance varmint gun with superb accuracy. Definitely wasn't made to be "cheap" to shoot. Unfortunately over the years the ammo hasn't gotten any cheaper even with the explosion of popularity and bulk amounts in which they are produced. A few months back I picked up a few cases of Hornady 17HMR for 89.99 plus shipping online, but that's the cheapest I've ever seen it.

I have owned three Savage Rimfires, and about a half dozen 10-22's. They are both good rifles. I just put a Green Mountain barrel, new trigger group, Laminated LH-TH stock, extended magazine release, and an upgraded extractor. I bought the rifle from a guy who builds 10-22's for $525. This was about three or four years ago. I do not know what they cost now.

I did not notice the three Savages to be extremely accurate. Acceptable accuracy, Yes. But not what I would consider tack drivers.

The Green Mountain 10-22(standard weight barrel) will shoot dime or slightly larger sized groups all day long with about as many shots as you want to stack in there(at 50 yards). The Savages are pretty close to that also. However I really do not care for the Savage stocks. So you need a new stock. I have seen a few of the 10-22 factory stocks that I like, but not that many. So the 10-22 needs a stock also.

I think the two rifles are comparable in quality and accuracy. I would not put the Savage out of the box too far ahead of a 10-22 out of the box. But normally the Savage bolt action's will shoot a bit better. However it is not fair to compare a bolt to a semi-auto. But again IMO I do not think the Savage semi-auto is close to the ruger 10-22. But that is based mostly on functioning of the action. I believe the 10-22 to be superior in the functioning.

Below is a picture of one of my Ruger's and a Savage in 22 magnum. The stock is a nice TH stock offered by Richard's for the Savage bolt action rimfore. It is a nice stock for the money. It really tightens up a Savage if bedded properly. Tom.

IMG_0165.jpg

001.jpg

004.jpg

I love those thumbhole stocks. I just shot a friends Remmy 700 204 with a thumbhole and loved the feel.

I already have a 10/22 that shoots fine. I really want a Savage Mark II TR. Can't decide on if I should get another .22 or the .17? If I want to shoot all day I can go w/the 10/22 and if I wanted to shoot longer distance for accuracy I'd go w/the .17. Does that sound reasonable?

I have several 10/22s and one that is my accuracy trainer.
It has the Fajen Sporter Thumbhole stock with a Green Mountain Bull barrel.
It will and regularly does shoot under 1/2" @ 50 yards.
10-22_TgtGfx.jpg

It takes either a hell of alot of money and or smith work to get there though.

If you want a shooter right out of the box with the features that you are looking for, I would recomend the Savage Mark II BTV.
markiibtv.png

But, if you like a challenge and enjoy projects, 10/22 customization is tons of fun!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GIC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your compairing your 10/22 to a bolt savage? You need to compare to a 77/22. </div></div>

savage still wins. better trigger, cheaper, more accurate. the ruger does have a better mag (only because it's flush)