• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

105grn A-Max

105amatt

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2010
Asleep in KS
On the box, Hornady lists a 1-9" recommended twist rate for the 6mm 105 a-max. Does anyone know if a 7.7 twist is too fast for this bullet? The new bullets with the AMP jacket, do they shoot different? What is so great about this new jacket, the old ones shot great for me. Thanks.

-Matt

Re: 105grn A-Max

Watch the video

http://www.hornady.com/store/Match-newbullets

A new era in match bullet technology has arrived. All Hornady Match and A-MAX bullets now feature revolutionary new AMP (Advanced Manufacturing Process) bullet jackets. Developed by Hornady technicians, these new bullet jackets are a technological advancement in design, tooling and manufacturing that combine to produce the most consistently concentric bullet jackets available. These new AMP jackets are the foundation for incomparable bullet accuracy and feature near zero wall thickness variation to provide exceptional uniformity throughout the jacket.

The 7.7 twist might be a little fast depending on how fast you are sending them out. That said you will need to try them in your rifle to find out. It's on the edge.

Interesting...
What kind of speed do you guess would be too fast for a 7.5 twist (6mm BTHP and/or Amax)?

Probably 3100fps or so would start to have some of them coming apart.

Matt,

I run a 7.5 twist Rock barrel and I throw the 105's at 3147 without any failures yet.

Paul nitrided my barrel, and I don't know if that has any effect (positive or negative) on the bullets tendency to spin to pieces at high velocities.

I have thrown the Combined Tech 55's out of this barrel at 4000 fps and haven't seen one of them puff yet either.

Just what I have seen, your results could be different.

sean

That's good to know. The newer jackets might have helped as a few years ago when we got our 7.5 twist barrels and tried to use the 105 AMAX we were getting little grey puffs as the bullets tore apart about 20-30 yards out of the muzzle. Not all the time but more often than we would like.

I had a 6mm AI a while back that had a 1-7.5" twist and it shot the 105 better than anything else I tried. The hottest I ever ran them was 3487 fps (334,752 RPM) from a 30" tube with never any bullet failure or separation, just devastating results on organic targets. It's peak accuracy was right at 3420 and would hold sub half moa or better for as long as I could. I've been runnIng them in the 243 Ackley (8 twist) for a few years at 3250 with never a problem.
May have something to do with the 5R Rock barrels too.
wink.gif

My experience with it has been very impressive.

I have been running them in my XC with 28" 8 twist brux barrel real close to 3000 without a hitch.

Jerry what powder/ primer did you shoot with the 105's in the 6mm ackley?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 350 Kid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jerry what powder/ primer did you shoot with the 105's in the 6mm ackley? </div></div>

ditto...

ok anyone else want to give up what powder and or charge they have been using.
I am not satisfied with my results of H1000 or IMR4064. looking for hints. I even tried Varget as I seem to with every other rifle cal. None have been great.
Barrel is a 24inch if that helps.
T

'22/200's. Assuming 243/243AI/6mmRem/6mmRemAI or 6-06AI and the 105 A-Max.

Will a 1 in 10 twist stabilize these 105 grain match bullets?I have a 6 ackley ,the only 105 i have shot is a speer spitzer and they shot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 350 Kid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Will a 1 in 10 twist stabilize these 105 grain match bullets?I have a 6 ackley ,the only 105 i have shot is a speer spitzer and they shot. </div></div>

my 6mm is a 1-n-10 and works great on these... my 6mmai (1-10 also) I have not been so happy with not sure what the combo prob is??? going on the powder search gimmie ideas.
sorry to the op not trying to hijack.

My old barrel was a factory Remington Varmint with a 9.25" twist. My rifle is at GAP right now getting rebarreled, a 24" 7.7 twist 5R Bartlein and some other upgrades. I hope to see it again in the spring, then I can try out those bullets. Thank fellas, keep it going.

-Matt

I'm shooting 38gr of H4350 in 243 out of a Shilen 22". Only load I tried and if I could shoot better would be consistent 1/2" load.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 350 Kid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jerry what powder/ primer did you shoot with the 105's in the 6mm ackley? </div></div>

The improved load was:
Win brass
215M
51gr R22
105 AMAX seated just touching lands

Avg velocity 3487
ES-24
SD-9

This was with a 30" Rock Creek 5R.

picked up some H4350 today going to hit up a buddy for some r17.

Wow, Jerry the R22 really had them moving! ahh a 30inch I see mucho velocity!
T

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rover31</div><div class="ubbcode-body">picked up some H4350 today going to hit up a buddy for some r17.

Wow, Jerry the R22 really had them moving! ahh a 30inch I see mucho velocity!
T </div></div>

Trust me on this, you're going to need a slower powder to get sufficient velocity from the 105. H4350 and R17 aren't going to do it for you without getting pressure. Been there, done that and wasted both good bullets and valuable time trying. If velocity is not important, you may be satisfied with your results.

Both of my 243 Ackleys are pitching the 105s at 3250 with 26" tubes. Both loads are also using R22. This is by far the best performing powder I have used with the 105 AMAX in the last five years.

I as well have pushed the 105's out of a 8 twist and a 7.5 barrel with no ill effects in 243 Ackleys.

as far as powders go, I use to shoot RE 22, but the sensitivity pushed me away.

Try you some Retumbo, it will get em goin.

I've pushed 105's out of my 26" 10 twist up to 3300fps and was not able to get groups I could live with. I'm very happy with what it does with 85g and 90g pills though. When I rebarrel, I'll be going with a 8 twist to shoot 105's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shiredude</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try you some Retumbo, it will get em goin. </div></div>

What is your charge weight with Retumbo?

I'm having good results with the 105's using H4831SC at 3100 fps from an 8 twist 26" (AI) Brux barrel.

I have shot the 105 Berger with Retumbo for quite a while now. I use 48.0 or 48.5 gr. (I can't remember which right now.) in WIN brass and FED 210M primers. This combo gives me right at 3000 fps from a 24" AR10T. (10 twist no less!) The load is easily MOA and less on better days.

I made up this load for my wife and this rifle for pronghorn. We were at my "range" and I was shooting at 1K. I had the dope dialed in and I had her take the shot just to see...she hit a palms width away from the toaster sized rock. I asked her if she felt comfortable with that load..."yep". She asks, "how far was that?" I tell her and she simply says, "okay." I wish I had shot that well my first time at a grand!

It's 48.0 grains, I just checked.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rover31</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ok anyone else want to give up what powder and or charge they have been using.
I am not satisfied with my results of H1000 or IMR4064. looking for hints. I even tried Varget as I seem to with every other rifle cal. None have been great.
Barrel is a 24inch if that helps.
T </div></div>
I push the 105 amaxes with 47.0 gr of Retumbo in my .243 Win. Seated 0.02 off the lands with a 22", 9.125" twist factory rem. tube.

To the OP: The AMP jacketed amaxes shoot at least as good as their predecessors, maybe a smidge better. Honestly though, I haven't really noticed much difference.

I have tried the 107 SMKs with the same results. Just was sticking with one bullet for now, and hijacking the thread... sorry.
I have used the H1000 it is right next to Retumbo on the burn chart ( I know that is not really the point but...) and have not been happy with it.
T

I also tried H1000 when working up. I found that the H1000 performed MUCH better in terms of ES/SD numbers, and groups were a tad better. It was at 2850 fps, vs. the 3K for RETUMBO.