• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s 11 lessons b4 having kids

TOP PREDATOR

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2008
SCRANTON AREA PENNSYLVANIA
a virtual guide to prepare yourself...

Lesson 1

1. Go to the grocery store.

2. Arrange to have your salary paid directly to their head office.

3. Go home.

4. Pick up the paper.

5. Read it for the last time.

Lesson 2

Before you finally go ahead and have children, find a couple who already are parents and berate them about their...

1. Methods of discipline.

2. Lack of patience.

3. Appallingly low tolerance levels.

4. Allowing their children to run wild.

5. Suggest ways in which they might improve their child's breastfeeding, sleep habits, toilet training, table manners, and overall behavior.

Enjoy it because it will be the last time in your life you will have all the answers.

Lesson 3

A really good way to discover how the nights might feel...

1. Get home from work and immediately begin walking around the living room from 5PM to 10PM carrying a wet bag weighing approximately 8-12 pounds, with a radio turned to static (or some other obnoxious sound) playing loudly. (Eat cold food with one hand for dinner)

2. At 10PM, put the bag gently down, set the alarm for midnight, and go to sleep.

3. Get up at 12 and walk around the living room again, with the bag, until 1AM.

4. Set the alarm for 3AM.

5. As you can't get back to sleep, get up at 2AM and make a drink and watch an infomercial.

6. Go to bed at 2:45AM.

7. Get up at 3AM when the alarm goes off.

8. Sing songs quietly in the dark until 4AM.

9. Get up. Make breakfast. Get ready for work and go to work (work hard and be productive)

Repeat steps 1-9 each night. Keep this up for 3-5 years. Look cheerful and together.

Lesson 4

Can you stand the mess children make? T o find out...

1. Smear peanut butter onto the sofa and jam onto the curtains.

2. Hide a piece of raw chicken behind the stereo and leave it there all summer.

3. Stick your fingers in the flower bed.

4. Then rub them on the clean walls.

5. Take your favorite book, photo album, etc. Wreck it.

6. Spill milk on your new pillows. Cover the stains with crayons. How does that look?

Lesson 5

Dressing small children is not as easy as it seems.

1. Buy an octopus and a small bag made out of loose mesh.

2. Attempt to put the octopus into the bag so that none of the arms hang out.

Time allowed for this - all morning.

Lesson 6

Forget the BMW and buy a mini-van. And don't think that you can leave it out in the driveway spotless and shining. Family cars don't look like that.

1. Buy a chocolate ice cream cone and put it in the glove compartment.

Leave it there.

2. Get a dime. Stick it in the CD player.

3. Take a family size package of chocolate cookies. Mash them into the back seat. Sprinkle cheerios all over the floor, then smash them with your foot.

4. Run a garden rake along both sides of the car.

Lesson 7

Go to the local grocery store. Take with you the closest thing you can find to a pre-school child. (A full-grown goat is an excellent choice). If you intend to have more than one child, then definitely take more than one goat. Buy your week's groceries without letting the goats out of your sight. Pay for everything the goat eats or destroys. Until you can easily accomplish this, do not even contemplate having children.

Lesson 8

1. Hollow out a melon.

2. Make a small hole in the side.

3. Suspend it from the ceiling and swing it from side to side.

4. Now get a bowl of soggy Cheerios and attempt to spoon them into the swaying melon by pretending to be an airplane.

5. Continue until half the Cheerios are gone.

6. Tip half into your lap. The other half, just throw up in the air.

You are now ready to feed a nine- month-old baby.

Lesson 9

Learn the names of every character from Sesame Street , Barney, Disney, the Teletubbies, and Pokemon. Watch nothing else on TV but PBS, the Disney channel or Noggin for at least five years. (I know, you're thinking What's 'Noggin'?) Exactly the point.

Lesson 10

Make a recording of Fran Drescher saying 'mommy' repeatedly. (Important: no more than a four second delay between each 'mommy'; occasional crescendo to the level of a supersonic jet is required). Play this tape in your car everywhere you go for the next four years. You are now ready to take a long trip with a toddler.

Lesson 11

Start talking to an adult of your choice. Have someone else continually tug on your skirt hem, shirt- sleeve, or elbow while playing the 'mommy' tape made from Lesson 10 above. You are now ready to have a conversation with an adult while there is a child in the room.

This is all very tongue in cheek; anyone who is parent will say 'it's all worth it!' Share it with your friends, both those who do and don't have kids. I guarantee they'll get a chuckle out of it. Remember, a sense of humor is one of the most important things you'll need when you become a parent!

Re: 11 lessons b4 having kids

Very true, but it is all worth it in the end! Now if I can just make it for about 13 more years...

Me and the wife are on lesson 3 with the real thing,(3 month old) not a sack. It doesn't mention while carrying her around she is blistering your eardrums.

Tip: I REALLY use a pair of Peltor tactical ear pro (turned off) when it gets too bad. This takes the stress level down a notch or two.

Sooooooo true. Every single lesson. I am so thankful my kids are 20 and 25. If I had to go through that again I think I would cut my dick off first.......as I ain't using it that much anyway. SR

I have always heard:

Children are your parent's revenge.

Grandchildren are your reward for not killing your children.

apache308:
Don't sell yourself short. The first day you can't empty your bladder, your whole life will revolve around it once again.

For all of the old guys that are having trouble getting their underwear on right, remember:

Yellow in front, brown in back!

Good shooting
(Name withheld under fifth amendment rights)

Grandchildren are <span style="font-style: italic">not</span> your reward for not killing your direct offspring. They are something..., <span style="font-style: italic">else</span>...

For #10 and 11....

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DheXU13NneI"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DheXU13NneI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

A couple of those had me laughing out loud. We're right in the middle of it and considering starting over again.

On the plus side, at 44 years of age and having spent a lifetime doing loud things, my hearing's pretty shot. A crying baby doesn't bother me like it would have 15 years ago. Hell, half the time I don't even know she's crying if my wife doesn't elbow me in the ribs.

Just finishing as last one is about out, though I hear they'll be back. And yes it is well worth it all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Grandchildren are <span style="font-style: italic">not</span> your reward for not killing your direct offspring. They are something..., <span style="font-style: italic">else</span>...</div></div>

Dare I ask........What??????????????

Good shooting
Ron

Ok, so considering this thread is full of Dads, im going to ask you experienced men this question.

Daily I find myself thinking about how im not too enthusiastic about getting married, I really couldnt care as it costs too much money and I have everything to lose if my relationship goes to crap.

And then i think about kids. Do i really want them? Probably not.

1) Is it worth getting married?
2) Are kids really that great?
3) Were you like me, but changed your way of thinking after having a child?
4) Are children a distraction to keep adults from thinking that marriage is boring?

In advance I kindly thank all who respond.

ok...to you're questions

1) Yes
2) Yes
3) Yes, but changed my way of thinking when she told me she was pregnant
4) No...but you both have to work at it so that it's not boring.

On a serious note...make sure that you make time for just the two of you. We try to do that once a month. But it is frustrating sometimes...I've got a two year old climbing up the chair and on my back as I type this...amazing how well you learn to multi-task!! By the way...it's taken me 15 mintues to get this much typed!

As far as the original post...CLASSIC. We're on lesson #9. Don't forget about the lesson where you throw everything on the floor that's less than three feet high!

Thanks for the laugh and take care...ANDY

1. No!
2. No!
3. No-opposite exactly
4. Yes-but distraction is the wrong adjective; try Crisis Generator

And don't forget if you don't, you will regret it in the end.

At some point you will realise that the only importance is your children, all else will fade.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ron Morrison</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1. No!
2. No!
3. No-opposite exactly
4. Yes-but distraction is the wrong adjective; try Crisis Generator

And don't forget if you don't, you will regret it in the end.

At some point you will realise that the only importance is your children, all else will fade. </div></div>

As bad as I hate the +1 posts I have to agree with Ron here.
It takes a lot of gumption to keep a marriage intact and raise a couple or 4 kids. It would have been much easier to go my own way, but this is far more exciting.Like a big rollercoaster ride you have never seen, yeah its supposed to be fun but mostly just scares the hell out of you.

You may ask...

My answer is:

At 64 and 60, Celia and I have three Grandchildren; eldest a 14 Y/O girl, then an 11 Y/O boy, and finally an 18 M/O girl. We reside about a block from their home, equidistant between their home and their school. While they do not reside with us, they spend a lot of time here.

The children's parents live separately, within quick driving distance, there is another Grandparent's home close by that residence, and they have a Stepmom and a Stepdad. They alternate W/E's, and dine with their Dad's family (3 more) on Tuesday evenings.

So they bounce around between 4 households. The boy has moderate ADHD. I'm amazed that's all he has.

So we live within the midst of teenage angst, preteen stubborn defiance, and diapers.

As I said, something <span style="font-style: italic">else</span>...

Wouldn't trade for all the tea in China; and there's a <span style="font-style: italic">lot</span> of tea in China....

Greg

Always remember your kids join you in YOUR life and not the opposite. Teach them the behavior you require and then require it. Be consistent in the application of discipline and unified with your wife in handling the kids. Make them work for what they get and love them everyday by including them in your life......and this does NOT mean revolving your life around their activities. Sheltering them from all turmoil, never saying no and giving in to them because it's easier raises the next generation of young adults that thinks the world owes them and has forgotten what respect and work mean (remember when we were children and not everybody made the team or got a trophy?). We as a society and parents have lost the lessons that teaches. Don't be that parent that enables poor behavior....you and they will be better for it. Do I sound like a hard ass? Raising kids is hard and a big responsibility and you are not supposed to be their best friend......be their parent, they will love and respect you for it. We have 3 children....14, 12 and 8 who I spend all my free time with but as a teacher and not as a taxi, traveling ball team groupie, etc,etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You may ask...

My answer is:

At 64 and 60, Celia and I have three Grandchildren; eldest a 14 Y/O girl, then an 11 Y/O boy, and finally an 18 M/O girl. We reside about a block from their home, equidistant between their home and their school. While they do not reside with us, they spend a lot of time here.

The children's parents live separately, within quick driving distance, there is another Grandparent's home close by that residence, and they have a Stepmom and a Stepdad. They alternate W/E's, and dine with their Dad's family (3 more) on Tuesday evenings.

So they bounce around between 4 households. The boy has moderate ADHD. I'm amazed that's all he has.

So we live within the midst of teenage angst, preteen stubborn defiance, and diapers.

As I said, something <span style="font-style: italic">else</span>...

Wouldn't trade for all the tea in China; and there's a <span style="font-style: italic">lot</span> of tea in China....

Greg </div></div>

You know what I gathered from this? Those kids have a lot of people that care about them in their lives, hectic as they might be.

Indeed they do, and I think they prosper for it. Nobody in the entire gaggle has a bundle of bucks, and that's probably a plus too. Took us awhile to recognize when we were being played off against the others. Smart kids, including their Half-Brothers and -Sisters. When that sixpack comes of age, this tiny village is gonna have a load on its hands.

These days, more households means more resources. Not much left over, but with four, you get eggroll....

Greg

Girl 19, Boy 16, Girl 5, While every single bit is true, the joy these bring me in life makes me wish I had 10!

But Momma.....I think she is done right here. She says that she knows she will never get shed of her "Problem Child".....not sure which one she is talking about
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jon Lester</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Girl 19, Boy 16, Girl 5, While every single bit is true, the joy these bring me in life makes me wish I had 10!

But Momma.....I think she is done right here. She says that she knows she will never get shed of her "Problem Child".....not sure which one she is talking about
wink.gif
</div></div>
Jon, YOU, who did you think?

I have enjoyed reading this thread, just as much as i enjoy listening to advice of those whom have a family and speak their minds about family.

I do not have a family of my own, and for some reason fear starting one. Marriage scares me, divorce scares me, sick children scares me, loss scares perhaps even change scares me... and I wont be good at a wedding dance if even the day comes.

But everyone keeps telling me I must breed.

I have a cat and he is awesome. He has a missus, she is a stray and I now purchase extra cat food so that she may live on and keep my cat company during the day.

I have a girlfriend also, but our relationship is volatile... more so from my end then hers.

Maybe one day i will have kids and understand what all of you are on about... until then, being uncle will have to suffice.

No matter what advice you hear or your parenting style children are worth all that comes with them!

best cure I ever had for both of my boys when they were being "sacks" was to strap them into the car seat, and place them on the dryer with a load of towels and an old sneaker inside. this simulates a car ride VERY well...and costs less than the gas to actually go out for the ride. it's got the noise, the vibration, the wobble, and the occasional whump whump sound from the car. Neither boy could take more than 2 minutes of this before they were off in slumber land again. both spent many nights in the car seat instead of the bassinet because we were scared to take them out of the car seat. NOTHING compares to falling asleep in the recliner holding one of them though while they sleep.