• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

11 year old shot and killed by 2 year old in West Philly

Veer_G

Beware of the Dildópony!
Minuteman
Jun 15, 2008
SEPA
At first, if you don't read carefully, this is going to sound like an anti screed. It's not. Guns aren't evil, but some people are, or at least idiotic. Bear with me.

The headline in the newspaper says that an 11 year old girl was shot when a group of children discovered an unattended firearm. It was a 2 year old's finger that managed to discharge it.

The truth is that at least one, or both, of the adults were responsible for this, the gentleman friend for ditching it there with no precautions, and the mother for either acquiescing to its introduction, loaded and unsecured into a household full of kids, or at least for choosing to associate with someone inclined to such irresponsibility.

Firearms, like other weapons, bladed and blunt, are a fact of urban life. Almost everybody has something. Even Granny has a hat-pin, if not a straight razor. Many people in the city would prefer to believe that firearms are in the inner-city because of some mysteriously inexplicable evil symbiosis between rural and suburban gun owners and gangsters in the 'hood. The truth is that some are sold right in the city by the few remaining FFLs in and around cities. Others are purchased elsewhere and illegally trafficked, and the remainder are taken in burglaries and robberies. Yes, we all know this, but I'm leading to a point.

In all the years that I worked in and around the inner city, I never once ran into any sort of an effort to train people in the proper use, maintenance, and storage of anything remotely resembling a pistol or a rifle, outside of air rifle training years ago by the few JROTC detachments in the school system. Yes, lots of tears and sign-toting on the part of grieving mothers, whipped up by charlatans running on the public dime, but never any effort to approach the firearms issue in the cities, other than offensive paternalism and stupid buy-back programs. I've sat there in churches, dragooned into attending for either professional or religious reasons, under the guise of "peace rallies," listening to the illogical rants and the under-the-breath racist imprecations of the angry mothers as the meetings devolved into an anti chanting session. Where possible, I've tried to counter the propaganda, and not always to my personal benefit. But I've never seen one hint of anything organized, other than JROTC, that admits the presence of arms, both powder-actuated and compressed-air, in urban life and seeks to address it with a mature message of competent responsibility and appropriate caution.

I know that many, if not most big-city administrations are inimical to anything like this. Air rifles and pistols are, in fact, illegal in Philly now. But where are we, from our end, on this? I'm not aware of any great effort on the part of the national three-letter organizations to try and counter this ugly trend. Folks everywhere deserve the enjoyment of the rights that we so proudly celebrate. And yet, there seems to be an attitude, both from within and without, that this stops dead at the city line. Where, pray tell, is Eddie Eagle these days that he doesn't alight in the unaccustomed venue of an urban school room?

We need to draw more people to our fold, from wherever it is that they come. Looking around at the other participants at the last activity that I attended, I realized that, by and large, we were pretty much a single demographic. Somehow, this has to change.

Police believe the fatal shooting of an 11-year-old girl Saturday morning occurred as children played with a loaded firearm inside a Mantua home.

Investigators said a male friend of the victim’s mother came to the home on the 3800 block of Wallace Street sometime Saturday morning. He allegedly stashed a loaded gun on the top of the refrigerator in the kitchen.

At some point, the firearm was moved to the master bedroom, where it was left unsecured, according to authorities.

Police said the victim was in the bedroom with her mother and three other children – a 16-year-old, a 2-year-old and a child under the age of 10.

When the mother left the room to use the bathroom, the children found the gun, according to investigators.

Police said as they played with the loaded, cocked firearm, the 2-year-old pointed the weapon at the 11-year-old.

The gun discharged shortly before 10 a.m., striking the 11-year-old girl in the arm. The bullet then entered her chest.

Though the victim was rushed to the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, she died about a half-hour later.

Cops: Girl, 11, killed as kids played with gun

Last edited:
I didn't know air guns weren't allowed in Philly - that seems insane to me. I helped coach the air rifle team at my former high school this past season. I was actually quite surprised that they had a team, given that it is in north Arlington and many here have significant misgivings about anything shooting related. The students were great - most became relatively proficient marksmen in the short season they had to shoot. It was also really interesting to see how differently they controlled the rifles after being instructed on muzzle control, trigger discipline, and how to hold the rifle in different positions. A lot of them had poor muzzle control and trigger discipline simply because they didn't know how to hold a rifle and weren't familiar with firearms at all. Maybe if people would get their heads out of the sand and recognize that it's worthwhile to teach kids about things they might encounter in life, then we might have fewer mishaps.

I didn't know air guns weren't allowed in Philly - that seems insane to me. I helped coach the air rifle team at my former high school this past season. I was actually quite surprised that they had a team, given that it is in north Arlington and many here have significant misgivings about anything shooting related. The students were great - most became relatively proficient marksmen in the short season they had to shoot. It was also really interesting to see how differently they controlled the rifles after being instructed on muzzle control, trigger discipline, and how to hold the rifle in different positions. A lot of them had poor muzzle control and trigger discipline simply because they didn't know how to hold a rifle and weren't familiar with firearms at all. Maybe if people would get their heads out of the sand and recognize that it's worthwhile to teach kids about things they might encounter in life, then we might have fewer mishaps.

There are quite a few states that treat "adult airguns" as actual firearms. Don't know the history behind it, but pretty sure it was probably the advent of PCP guns which have gotten beyond simple .177 calibers all the way up to .50 caliber. And let's not forget about PCP rifles/pistols with suppressors. I swear common sense has been almost all the way lost. Next thing you know, Red Ryders will be put on the NFA list.

Please, let's not thread-drift this into a discussion of air rifles and pistols and their restriction. The issue that needs consideration here is the lack of appropriate training within urban areas made available with respect to responsible firearms use.

Ive done dog and pony talks at schools.

One of two things happens.

A. The party in charge talks to the kids beforehand, in my presence, and specifically forbids them from asking about my firearm.

B. The person in charge makes no comment prohibiting discussion of the firearm. When time for questioning is allowed the first question is always about the firearm. I look at the teacher and they usually look like a deer in the headlights. I dont defer to them, if possible I dont let them intercede. I tell the kids why I have one, how its a right in the Constitution, how important it is for anyone using one to train, how they should never touch one they come across but should inform an adult of what they have found and if they are interested further they should talk to their parents about their interest.

NRA used to have Eddie Eagle, they still do. What do you think the chances are that a school on either coast would invite the NRA into the school?

PS - I find it ironic (and disgusting) that those that proclaim "...if it saves just one child!" and professes their compassion for the common man is also the team that purposefully prohibits education that in all likielihood would save many children.

Ive given up thinking they do this through a deeply held belief that their actions are for the best. I truly believe they want/allow these criminally negligent incidents to happen to further another agenda.

PS - I find it ironic (and disgusting) that those that proclaim "...if it saves just one child!" and professes their compassion for the common man is also the team that purposefully prohibits education that in all likielihood would save many children.

Ive given up thinking they do this through a deeply held belief that their actions are for the best. I truly believe they want/allow these criminally negligent incidents to happen to further another agenda.

I'm with ya. You know there's some sick fucks out there who just can't wait for another mass shooting so they can exploit the tragedy and it's victims to further an agenda. I don't mean it purely politically, but there are some scary people in the world who really don't give a shit about other people at all, only attaining their goals. Psychopaths in suits.

Solutions that may actually increase safety exist and would seem common sense as Veer suggests, but can't push an agenda if no problem is perceived, so instead negligence that leads to misfortune is encouraged through non-education.

Sick and stupid.