• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

110 BA rebarrell

Wally Pinkerton

Private
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2014
Savage shooters shooting the 110 BA, how many of you have re barreled. If so tell me details. What Barrell? Length? Reason for? Improvement? ETC.

I have rebarrelled a couple of savages, should not be a big deal. Would need more info on what the intended use of the rifle is? Target, keep it long and heavy, moving around some, lighter contoured and 26" barrel. Think that one is a large shank but double check, should be simple enough if it is not shooting as well.

The barrel is definitely going to be used for long ranges 1000-2000 yards. It's a .338LM. Weight is a non-issue. The act of re barreling is not really my concern. I'm more curious to know if extra barrel length is very beneficial and I would like to know what barrel brand has worked best.

I plan on ordering a new barrel for my 110BA this coming week. I just can't get the accuracy or clean extractions I'm looking for from the factory tube.

My experience says Shilen. They've been around for years and very picky about their work. I told them I wanted a perfect barrel, select match in 338. I ordered it Jan 27th last year and its finally here tomorrow!!! Funny, it shipped the 27th this year. Got a laugh out of that one. Two guys were ahead of me for 2 months, remaining 10 months, Shilen went through 67 338 blanks(so they say) to get me that sweet barrel I wanted. So my wait time was longer. They said they had a few close, but not good enough for their select match stamp. To me, that says a lot about their customer service. Every time I call them, great friendly people to deal with. Just as good service as when I call NF Optics.

There are a ton of barrel manufactures producing very high quality barrels. If your really interested in hitting 2k targets. Get a select match or equivalent. 2k shots is no joke. I know I'm in for a lot of learning to get out that far.

I'm sure others will pop up posts of names for you to check out in the barrel world. Nice thing too is Jim Briggs at NSS maintains a pretty good stock of Shilen barrels. I usually check with him prior to ordering direct from Shilen. Hope this helps.

Brian

88blazer, thanks a bunch. I currently have two Shilens. (308 with a select stainless and 22lr, yet to shoot the 308 but the 22 is amazing).

What barrel length/twist did you end up ordering?

And please keep me posted on your results with the new tube. I'm very curious.

I had a 10BA LE...My barrel from Savage factory came crooked...Dealing with Savage on that issue with photo proof + 3 Gunsmith's opinions was...a horrifying experience. - Never again.

Anyway, I ordered a McGowen and the barrel is a shooter.

Now you can order them directly from a McGowen Retail Store On-Line and you can have a new barrel in a couple days.

Savage shooters shooting the 110 BA, how many of you have re barreled. If so tell me details. What Barrell? Length? Reason for? Improvement? ETC.
I dont have a 110 BA, what I do have is recent experience in swapping a barrel. I did my research mostly on the Hide but other sources as well. I contacted everyone on this list and some that arent Premium Barrels I had to have mine done fast so getting is was priority over quality. Not to say the McGowen I chose is poor quality at all. I went with the 28" Savage Bull for my 300wm. I wanted to add weight and length to help me hit my goal of 1609 meters. I will be shooting it this coming weekend so Ill let you know how it goes. I am very pleased with McGowen, they told me 6-8 weeks so I begged and begged them to get it done sooner and had it in 2 weeks to the day from ordering. McGowen Semi-Custom Barrels - 3-4 Week Delivery!

I've done two, one with a shilen stainless match pre chambered and the other I used a Bartlein blank and barreled it sans barrel nut like a Remington. Both shot well, but the Bartlein was definitely better.

e4yputam.jpg

Galaxy S3 on tapatalk

Wally, I ordered the 28"+2for the Vias brake, 9 twist(ratchet). It should like the 300 OTM's.

I hear stories about good and bad barrels from every manufacture. My friend bought a S&W 44Mag, new, barrel was galled 1" inside, riflings and crown F'ed up(
.13" off center at muzzle). would never be a shooter. My original Savage mod 12 bull in 204Ruger shot every bit as good as its Shilen replacement. But like Jon said, his Bartlein shot better than his shilen. Lija put up a bore scope video showing a new 300WM Rem 700, it was horrible! Tooling has a lot to do with how nice the barrel turns out. From boring to pulling the button to cutting the chamber and crown. New tooling will almost always put out the best barrel.

All manufactures put out good and bad barrels. If you can, go for a hand lapped match or select match and check for trueness of the chamber when you get it. Tell them it will be for ELR out to 1 mile. If its a good company, they will hand pick you a good barrel.