• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

112 Match Burners Inconsistent as Cr@p!?

SBjanderson

Private
Minuteman
May 24, 2019
I bought 500 of the Barnes 112 Match Burners and was loading them up the other night. I was seeing some really strange seating depth issues so I busted out the calipers and the gauges and started measuring OAL and BTO on the bullets. I noticed a decent portion (about 1/4) where at least 10 thou off compared to the average on both overall length and base to ogive. Some were as bad as 15 thou. The OAL on all the bullets were not very good in fact.

Is this normal for these? Or could this be a bad batch? With the amount of these I can’t load for matches, it would actually be cheaper to just buy Berger’s

I would also like to preface I have not felt the need to “sort” bullets before I ran into this. I usually just load them up and go but these were way off and it was showing deeply in the performance and consistency of the rounds I fired.

Are they hollow points? Is your seating die working off the ogive or off the tip? I believe it's not uncommon for HPBT rifle bullets to vary in length a little.

Are they hollow points? Is your seating die working off the ogive or off the tip? I believe it's not uncommon for HPBT rifle bullets to vary in length a little.
It seats off the ogive, I’m good with a little OAL difference, but the base to ogive of the bullets being 10-15tho different is what really had me confused

Does "Burners" imply lesser quality/price? Never bought them but have wondered.

I sort by overall length for both these 112 and my dtacs. That evens them up. I’ve gone to 1285 yards with success with the 112’s and use the 115 at 1000 fclass

Sorry but that seems like a fact of life. Only berger lrht are good to go out of the box

The sorting does level the groups bc which is good for long distance

Last edited:
I sort by overall length for both these 112 and my dtacs. That evens them up. I’ve gone to 1285 yards with success with the 112’s and use the 115 at 1000 fclass

Sorry but that seems like a fact of life. Only berger lrht are good to go out of the box

The sorting does level the groups bc which is good for long distance
Right but that’s what I’m asking. If around 100 out of every 500 count box are wildly different then the cost saving between just going with berger isn’t as appealing. Now if it’s not as common then that gap is much more significant

If you use the search engine for this sight you will see there have been several threads which refer 112 MBs having a bad batch/lot.
Having said that I shoot 112s and love them. No they don't have same consistency as burgers but all mine have shot very well. I've put close to a thousand through current barrel and just bought another thousand.
I shoot PRS and they more than meet my quality standards.
My 2 cents

Reactions: MarshallDodge
I sorted mine and i had about 350 in the middle .005 tolerance band. Close to 100 in another .005 band. I load in batches of about 92 to 95 depending on how my cases sort. That gives me 4 matched sets with extra for load development or practice at 100 yards. At 100 you can’t see the difference

David

Reactions: Average guy
If you use the search engine for this sight you will see there have been several threads which refer 112 MBs having a bad batch/lot.
Having said that I shoot 112s and love them. No they don't have same consistency as burgers but all mine have shot very well. I've put close to a thousand through current barrel and just bought another thousand.
I shoot PRS and they more than meet my quality standards.
My 2 cents
Glad to hear this! I really want them to work well.

What lot #?

I had a lot of 500 that shot really well, in both BRA and CM. I like the 112s better than the 105s - I have another order of 112s that should arrive tomorrow. I'll check them over once they get in, but it should be a new lot, not one of the older ones with pressure ring issues.

Here is the thread about the tumbling and the lot numbers

David

I bought 2000 6.5mm 140 match burners last year.

Base to ogive was very consistent, but weight was all over the place. Anywhere from 138 to 143 grains. They shot like ass, about 2moa until I weighed and sorted them.

Here is the thread about the tumbling and the lot numbers

David
Thanks for this. My lot matches some of the ones these guys had. Bought them off the hide. Bummer