• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

115 year old rifle scope cam oddity.

fpgt72

Old Salt
Minuteman
Mar 26, 2019
If you skip to roughly :54 in the video below you will see the thing that I think looks a bit funny. The video really does not do it justice, but in the "live" view it looks like it is crystal. This is a new rifle to me, and I have not shot it yet, the video is how it came out of the box. Corrosive primers are common in this rifle, and I was thinking it might be salt crystal? Just looking for other thoughts on it.

The rifle is a 1917 Westinghouse 91/30....pretty one at that. This rifle is unlike any of my other mosins, no other word but it feels crisp and sharp next to the well worn examples usually come across. I think this one got very little use, but clearly some use. Plan is to clean it up this afternoon, and shoot it some before the cold hits us again.

Was not really sure on where to put this topic....so the "vintage" section is where I am.

1669984560450.png

1669984586213.png

1669984608356.png

1669984644043.png

Perfect spot and cool rifle! That flaming bomb cartouche is great to see on a 'Moisin...' so to speak!

That rifle looks barely used! the spot could be a bit of leftover primer.. could also be where a bug took a leak.. so many things can happen in decades.... I'd clean that up with a brush and some patches and have a total ball shooting it! Bet it shoots better than a SovBlock/Imperial Nagant as well!

Cheers!

Sirhr

Perfect spot and cool rifle! That flaming bomb cartouche is great to see on a 'Moisin...' so to speak!

That rifle looks barely used! the spot could be a bit of leftover primer.. could also be where a bug took a leak.. so many things can happen in decades.... I'd clean that up with a brush and some patches and have a total ball shooting it! Bet it shoots better than a SovBlock/Imperial Nagant as well!

Cheers!

Sirhr

That is the plan, I have 5 rounds of a few different loadings to see what she is going to like the best.

If I had to guess it’s a spot of possibly hydrostatic pitting, a spot where there was some moisture or even cleaning oil and when a round got fired it is exposed to massive pressure and nowhere to go, basically. I wouldn’t worry about it and it’s really small, as sirh mentioned shoot it and have fun looks to be in great shape

I would kind of go with a spot of primer didn't get cleaned out and started a corrosion pit. It probably won't affect accuracy, but only shooting will tell. IMO, it must be shot A LOT so that you get a wide example of how well the rifle can actually shoot. Definitely a nice rifle on the outside. Shooting will tell if it is on the inside.

That said, I noted that the later a Mosin Nagant got imported the better the condition they were in. I finally broke down and bought one (Izhevsk) somewhere in the mid-to-late 2000's. I'd seen prices going up on them a bit. This one had jumped from $79.00 to $89.00. Whereas I had seen a number of them at $69.00 a couple years before. So I better get while the gettin' was good. It shot okay, but I had not really buckled down to get the absolute best accuracy with it. Fast forward a few years and a little more reasearch, I came across a Tula. Only now, it was $149.00. Since I had heard they were better, I jumped on it while the gettin' was good.
This time I really buckled down on getting good accuracy, which was 1.5moa. I then began to handload for it, which improved it to sometimes getting 1moa. I then read that while the Izzy's were rougher on the outside, they were supposedly just as good on the inside. SO, I decided to get down with accuracy with the Izzy. The best I could do once was 1.5moa with the average being 2moa. Still, not bad for any Mosin Nagant. Considering if you put nothing but good components together, ammo and rifle, they would be quite capable rifles. Nothing wrong with the design at all.

Very nice example for sure. It was originally made for the Czar, but due to the Russian Revolution of 1917 and his overthrow/murder, those rifles were not paid for or delivered. I think the US subsequently issued some reserve troops for training and/or rear echelon units, but some were also sent to China and elsewhere. That one clearly stated stateside based on condition. I’m not into M/N rifles, but if I were, a U.S. made version just like this one would be my choice as a single example of that rifle. One nitpick, a rifle made in 1917 is 105 years old (not 115). Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
Very nice example for sure. It was originally made for the Czar, but due to the Russian Revolution of 1917 and his overthrow/murder, those rifles were not paid for or delivered. I think the US subsequently issued some reserve troops for training and/or rear echelon units, but some were also sent to China and elsewhere. That one clearly stated stateside based on condition. I’m not into M/N rifles, but if I were, a U.S. made version just like this one would be my choice as a single example of that rifle. One nitpick, a rifle made in 1917 is 105 years old (not 115). Thanks for sharing.

Sorry math is not my strong suit.

Planned on shooting her this weekend, Friday winds at roughly 40mph with gusts well into the 50's said that would be pointless, Sat and Sun I had stuff to do in the shop, and by sunday afternoon I had time but was done. Hope to shoot some tonight after work, we are to have temps in the 50's, if the winds stay somewhat normal I will so some shootin' tonight. Post up some photos if you guys are interested.

Reactions: 6/250/40