• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

12 year old's first precision rifle

Well, as an update to this endeavor, we went out and shot this morning, and he got out to 1060 yards, and loved every minute of it. At 100 yards, he actually made me look really bad. He shot three shots right on top of each other while we were zeroing his scope. I actually thought he was completely missing the target on two of them. At the 1200 yard range, he had no problems at all ringing steel on first shots out to about 700, then it took him a couple of tries each time to ring the others. The 1060 steel took him quite a few rounds, but I think that was more about wind and fatigue than anything else. We were at it for awhile. I was so proud of him, and most importantly, he loved it!

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, at what age do most people take their kids shooting? Seems to be the dilemma I’m having with my wife.

Shortly after my niece was born, I bought a Ruger Bearcat for when she gets mature enough to shoot.

She's almost 5 now and she needs more maturing. I don't think her parents are teaching her the individual responsibility and common sense she needs although neither of them are shooters so those aren't skills that they think she needs now but that just makes me wonder "when?".

I think if her dad was a shooter, she would at least know not to touch guns and other Eddie the Eagle type lessons. I imagine she would also be curious and want to shoot with her dad.

Those little bolt action rifles are probably the best way to start out a young shooter but the Bearcat has cool factor. I want to be the cool uncle so Bearcat. I also have a couple single shot .22 rifles and a Marlin 60. That should do it until she steps up to a .22lr converted 1911 and an AR in .223. once her hands are big enough for the 1911 and she's shooting an AR well, she'll probably be telling me what to bring to the range.

Once she gets to the point where I think she has the maturity to begin with gun safety, I'll bring it up with her parents.

If she was raised differently, she might be ready at 5 but I'm thinking it will probably be 9+ for her.

There is no set age but from a practical perspective, gun safety should be learned young for the child's safety.

In my personal experience, as a boy I wanted to own and shoot guns a lot younger than 16 and the fact that I couldn't even get my hands on a BB gun probably contributed to my slightly excessive hobby today.

If my parents had let me shoot young but just had crappy Highpoints and hunting rifles that kick too much, I might have been turned off to guns...

Reactions: Rebel Rooster
All done, range test Wednesday. Rifle was built around the 85 grain Nosler RDF.

Attachments

• 50591178-53A6-437D-BD33-2F8C358FD4C9.jpeg
    50591178-53A6-437D-BD33-2F8C358FD4C9.jpeg
    324.8 KB · Views: 36
  • 310616A3-C2AD-46D8-845A-0A627E8372B4.jpeg
    310616A3-C2AD-46D8-845A-0A627E8372B4.jpeg
    410 KB · Views: 32
Reactions: Rebel Rooster
I think either.
I build my 11 year old daughter a 6brx. Same chamber as mine. That way we share brass and it’s no sweat.
Went with an XLR chassis. They are very user friendly to adjust for burg bigger shooters and kids.

Reactions: stereo.pete