• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

127 LRX @ 3000fps from a 65cm?

Buckley

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 29, 2018
Washington State
Looking for someone with Quickload to possibly give me some insight regarding any possible over pressure concerns.

With aspirations of a hunt that required the use of lead free projectiles I acquired some 127 lrx for load development with my PVA jhr - 26” tube. I decided I wanted to use RL 16 and went about searching as many sources as possible for a starting load, settled on 43 grains in Peterson once fired brass with CCI 200 for ignition.

Attached the Magnetospeed and shot a string(slowly) of 9. Averaged 2997fps, I was a bit surprised as I hadn’t seen any velocities this high in my research, something approaching it in one publication @ 44gn however. Bolt lift was normal, primers slightly flattened, a very small amount of cratering on one.

A22AB0F7-F296-4C02-9CE6-9252F29CCEAB.jpeg

Anyone else have any experience with a similar load? Not sure what inputs would be needed to run Quickload. 2.798 COAL, 2.205 CBTO.

Produced an acceptable ~.50 MOA, fwiw. First two went high, adjusted POA for the six shot group then removed the chrono for the ninth. 1” POI shift down without the Magneto attached.

E779BCB8-7B15-4A2E-9EAD-82CD89BB08E0.jpeg

My first 1lb batch of RL16 got me up to 3000 fps with 45gr through the 22" factory barrel on my B14 HMR, Lapua SRP w/ CCI 450. The 8lb batch was slower, only 2932 fps.

I'd say you're in a reasonable zone, esp with the longer barrel.

Reactions: Buckley
Visual inspection was looking like I was going to be lightly compressed at 43. I would imagine that with 45 it had a fair bit of crunch when seating.

Oddly, I don't have notes on it (I normally do), but yeah, I'm thinking you're right. I have this niggling memory that I was actually having to adjust the seating die deeper to achieve the same CBTO due to the resistance from the powder column. That sounds on-brand for this bullet, but I'm usually willing to compress extruded powder until I start seeing seating depth issues, then watch closely for pressure signs on the crunchier loads.