• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

14.5" or 16" AR

Roadwild17

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 6, 2009
Central East Texas
Hey guys, got another AR question, I tried searching for this for about a week and didnt get the answers I was looking for.

Im looking to get a BCM middy with either a 14.5" barrel, perm attach a QD can adaptor, or get the 16" version of the same thing.

Im plaining on having this car with a ctr stock, eotech & larue riser, and a streamlight tlr-1, & a vtac sling. Im also planing on running an H buffer to increase the lock time after a shot for a little less blow back when using the can.

What Im looking for is a rifle to go to 0-400 yds as I have a 20" Larue stealth for anything out to 650.

The things Im wondering about are:
Real world velocity loss on the 14.5 barrel
Handling and recoil characteristics
Is a perm attach flash hider really that big of a deal.

Re: 14.5" or 16" AR

Velocity loss between 14.5-16" is fairly minimal, approx. 75-110fps depending on who you listen to. Using high quality civilian ammo this difference will not matter out to about 400yards.

I've used M4's and M16's in the military, have owned several 16 & 18" AR's, and have shot several 10-12" AR's. The difference in handling and moving to and from a vehicle between 20" & 16" is significant and the difference between 16" & 12" is significant. But I do not think the 14.5" bbl provides enough benefit over the 16" for a civilian to make it worth the extra hassle.

Recoil will be about the same on both rifles if you get carbine gas; however, with the 16" you can get mid-length or intermediate gas which should soften the recoil (if only slightly) when using the can. Not much recoil with 5.56 either way.

The perm attached FH is a PITA, and you will not be able to modify or fix anything on you upper without having a class 3 shop ruin your flash-hider and do it for you.

In the end, I would go either go NFA 10.5-12"bbl or I would go with a 16" bbl. I hope this helps.

NFA really isn't an option at this time, If and when it will be a 10.5-12.5". As far as changing the rifle, I dont plan on changing it once I get it. Im not one of those "look at whats new and shiney" types, but I figured a per attach hider would suck.

i had a bushy shorty with ak break perm attached for overall 16" legal. that break is pretty good and it outshot the other ar i had with a heavy fluted 18" barrel. i thought 16" with perm and the "entry" type stock(way shorter than standard designed for use with bofdy armopr) made a really handy length carbine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Roadwild17</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Im looking to get a BCM middy with either a 14.5" barrel, perm attach a QD can adaptor, or get the 16" version of the same thing.
</div></div>

I have an AR with a 16" barrel and midlength gas system. I'd recommend this as the difference in overall length isn't that much and you can easily change the muzzle device, or front sight, rails, etc. if you ever need to. Plus a bayonet fits correctly in this configuration.

This is the smoothest shooting AR I have, weight, balance, recoil impulse, it all feels better than my 11.5 SBR, 14.5 with CAR gas system and pinned flashider or 20" with rifle length gas system.

Before I got a QD suppressor muzzle device permanently attached, I would make sure that I at the very least had that suppressor purchased and paperwork in. I'm guilty of changing my mind several times, especially when new stuff comes out. You can remove a pinned and welded device however, you will waist a lot of money and the device itself.

Unless you'll be doing a lot of work inside a house, or in and out of the car I don't think you'll gain much with the 1.5 inch shorter barrel. You do sacrifice 75+ fps, but that might not be a big deal if you are not doing any distance work though.

Perm attaching a mount was no big deal. Getting it back off to put on a freefloat tube was a bear, 'just drilling out the pin' isn't exactly as easy as they say on the internet. If you know you won't be changing the configuration, the 14.5" is great, if there's a chance of a change then go 16" midlength.

+1 on the 16".
My 16" middy with rifle buffer system and FSC556 break is the smoothest flatest shooter out there.

Perm muzzle devices are a real pain.

BCM does now offer a 14.5" middy for the guys who have to go short.

i would say go 16 just for the simple fact that you don't have to pin/weld the flash hider on.. much easier to change things around, a-tower to flip up front sight gas block and such..

i know you said that your not much of a change your mind guy, but just in the off chance of what if?? the 1.5 isn't that much of a deal, but having a flash hider permanently attached is a pita..

Started with a 16, but like the 14.5 w/Phantom much better. I'm not going to change anything before this barrel is toast, and I like the handling.

And, there's no "second guessing" after you get it - once it's done, it's <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic"><span style="text-decoration: underline">done</span></span></span>!...

Bill

+1 for 16" barrel. Changing muzzle devices will be easier PLUS you can resell the device. If you're thinking that you'll notice the 1.5," don't worry about it. Taking it on hunting trips or carbine courses wouldn't justify the added headaches that come with a 14.5" barrel. IMO