• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

14.5 pinned and welded 308 AR...Any reason not to? And what barrel would you guys suggest?

So I'm a bit stumped, maybe someone can clear this up. I will admit that I don't fully grasp the differences in the AR10 platform.

I spoke with Windham Weaponry on the phone and asked them what type their receivers were. This is what I was told:

DPMS barrel nut and Armalite height receiver. ??? Does that sound right? From looking at the receivers it just looks like the more common DPMS style but the "Armalite height receiver" has me stumped.

Edit: Searching shows that it would be a DPMS High rail that I need?

They probably mean the "high" profile receiver. You can measure it when it arrives. There are plenty of rail options for both high/low.

When you get around to reloading I would suggest trying powders that are on the faster end of the burn rate if you want to get as much velocity as possible out of a short barrel.
IMR 3031 comes to mind immediately.

So I'm a bit stumped, maybe someone can clear this up. I will admit that I don't fully grasp the differences in the AR10 platform.

I spoke with Windham Weaponry on the phone and asked them what type their receivers were. This is what I was told:

DPMS barrel nut and Armalite height receiver. ??? Does that sound right? From looking at the receivers it just looks like the more common DPMS style but the "Armalite height receiver" has me stumped.

DPMS High is what I understand as well.

from the Midwest Industries website:
Q: What height handguard do I need for my DPMS 308 upper?
A: We recommend contacting the manufacturer for that information; if they cannot help you then you will have to figure out what height you have. You will need to get a caliper or precision measuring instrument and measure the rear tab/tang on the back of the upper receiver (above where the charging handle installs). If you get approximately .150" you have a DPMS Low, if you get approximately .210" you have a DPMS High, and if you get approximately .500" you have a Sportical 308 upper and nothing we make will match that receiver rail.

As much as short barrels give folks raging woodys these days, I'm going to go against the grain and say why bother with all the hassle and inflexibility just to be 1.5" shorter? What if you want to change suppressor mounts one day to something else?

Especially in a .308 where even a 16" barrel is awful short.

Just make it easy on yourself and get the 16" barrel and call it good.

As much as short barrels give folks raging woodys these days, I'm going to go against the grain and say why bother with all the hassle and inflexibility just to be 1.5" shorter? What if you want to change suppressor mounts one day to something else?

It's really a huge difference when you hold them in your hands. People think it's not until you hold them in person. I've never met someone that hasn't held a pinned and welded to 16", then held a 16" barreled, and said "Wow that is a good difference".

And IF I do ever change my mind I can just buy another $165 upper and have at it. Why does it bother people so much when someone does something different than what they think is best?

Picture for example of difference

AR-13-7-Pinned-and-Welded-Ultra-light-short-rifle-upper-spiral-fluted-barrel-weight-3-min.jpg

Reactions: RUTGERS95
It's really a huge difference when you hold them in your hands. People think it's not until you hold them in person. I've never met someone that hasn't held a pinned and welded to 16", then held a 16" barreled, and said "Wow that is a good difference".

And IF I do ever change my mind I can just buy another $165 upper and have at it. Why does it bother people so much when someone does something different than what they think is best?

Picture for example of difference

AR-13-7-Pinned-and-Welded-Ultra-light-short-rifle-upper-spiral-fluted-barrel-weight-3-min.jpg
have to agree
on one of my set ups I've got it cut and pinned just past 16" and you can immediately feel the difference when you grab a 16" Night and day

That and the huge rails that are popular, I feel kinda silly with this much unused real estate on mine. A 10-11" rail and a 13.7" barrel would make more sense imho:

View attachment 8026726
If you shoot on/around/through barricades and such on the clock eventually a shorter handguard is gonna make you feel silly when the barrel contacts something.

Reactions: reubenski

I've gotten better at removing and re-using P&W'd muzzle devices, after all it's just a weld-cap over the pin. it depends on who did the welding on how for down you have to grind or drill to remove the weld-cap, to where you can spot the faint outlines of the pin. And I've actually re-used the salvaged muzzle devices, put another weld-cap on top of a new pin. After all, most of these muzzle devices ain't cheap.

I got to admit, the first one I did, it ain't pretty, I "restored" it some, but it sure has some character now, works great on a beater set-up.

Last edited: