• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

14.5 pinned barrel Yes or No

WK&U

Private
Minuteman
Feb 18, 2005
Guys I 'd like to have a short barreled pinned upper 14.5. I like to get some feed back from those of you here who own one, or have owned one. Does this work out pretty good, or Is this a bad idea ? Not being able to clean the barrel crown ever could be a problem, but with a chrome lined barrel accuracy wont be hurt that much?

Re: 14.5 pinned barrel Yes or No

I don't currently have one but my next one will be..

I say go for it if it's what you want!

I just built a new rifle and used a Rainier Arms Select 14.5" barrel with a Yankee Hill flash suppressor/comp pinned on it. I've shot a couple thousand rounds through it so far with no problems or complaints. Never had a AR with this barrel length before and built this one just because. I'm really happy with the gun/barrel.
IMG_20121127_103527.jpg

I have 1 that is pinned and one that is not.

Here is my take on the whole thing. It is nice having it a little shorter than the 16" Does it make it more maneuverable etc slightly but not really worth it. If you can buy the same barrel in 16" then go that route. Reason being is that if you want to change rails, or go with a different rail system. Unless it uses what ever barrel nut you have on when you pin it your stuck with it. If you have an A2 style front sight then your really stuck with what ever setup you have. That is the only real negative to going with a pinned upper.

Hope this helps.

RS

Do it and never look back! I have two, one's identical to ANVIL's. Both are mid length.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lonestar1845</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do it and never look back! I have two, one's identical to ANVIL's. Both are mid length. </div></div>

I really like the mid length gas system on mine!

Have and do own them, love it. I've even got an SBR'd lower, but the 14.5 is close enough (at least to the 12.5 that I used to have) and it's hassle-free. Get ADCO or a reputable smith to pin your mount/flash hider and never look back. Very nice length.

From what I've seen, its important to use a full auto carrier in conjunction with a midlength gas system 14.5" setup. Also going to want to use an H Buffer. We had a customer's rifle fail to cycle and his semi auto bolt carrier was the culprit. He had a 14.5" midlength, H buffer, and surefire muzzle brake.

Its pic's like that (ANVILL 11) that have meade me want to do this. The forward rail right up to the flash hider, nice rifle. Wish it was easy to buy a SBR. Thanks for the heads up about M16 bolt carrier. ADCO; I'll give them a call, Thanks for the advice guys

The one thing I regret about having a pinned 14.5. I want to upgrade my rail system to the Noveske NSR but I have to destroy a YHM adapter for my can to do it.

I have one with a surefire brake. No issues. No regrets..

Love my PSA 14.5 pinned carbine. I sold my first AR,a BCM 16" to buy the psa. No regrets from the purchase at all. The difference from 16" to a pinned 14.5 isn't much, but still a little bit noticeable. I have DD Omega rail on mine, and wouldn't change it for the world.

I have about every length of AR uppers (10.5 - 18" except the 7" and I find that the 12.5" barrel is the best compromise. It is short and handy but I can still get out to the 500 yard mark hitting steel with no issues. The 14" and 16" does not bring all that much more to the fight that I can't do with a 12.5." If you have the choice I would SBR to a 12.5" as you will find it will meet all of your demands for an AR platform.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rescueswimmer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Reason being is that if you want to change rails, or go with a different rail system. Unless it uses what ever barrel nut you have on when you pin it your stuck with it. If you have an A2 style front sight then your really stuck with what ever setup you have.</div></div>
If you are careful with your part selection when building your upper you can avoid this problem. Get a 2-piece gas block such as this YHM front sight. This way the barrel nut can come off without obstruction from the gas block, and the gas block can come off in two parts (because it won't clear the muzzle device).

The barrel nut will also clear most muzzle devices, just make sure you don't attach a huge one like the Noveske Pig.

You can always silver solder the thing, that way if you need it off, just heat it up and spin it off.

That being said, I have mine pinned cuz I couldn't find someone to silver solder and I love the handiness of it. It makes me want a 10 inch really bad.