• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

140 eldm vs 147 eldm. Which one?

LJT88

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 16, 2019
    Comparing factory hornady ammo. Which is a better performer? Is the loss in MV worth the added BC?

Reactions: chevy327
    In my opinion- NO- the difference theoretical difference between 140 and 147 is so small as to be insignificant. The velocity loss of the heavy bullet in a 6.5 CM isn't really made up by the higher bc. I choose the 140 ELDM because I've had excellent, consistent results with it in factory ammo and in my reloads. It is a very forgiving bullet that is easy to reload.

Last edited:
    Reactions: seansmd
    Ok. I know my gun likes the 140’s but I’ve run out of the stuff. There is a local guy to me who has a ton of factory hornady 147 for sale for a good price. I guess I’m just wondering if it’s worth Trying or just stick to what I know.

I shoot the 147's in my Howa 26" 6.5CM barreled action on a KRG Bravo chassis. When I first put the rifle together that was what was available in quantity. I get 0.4" groups at 100. Good groups at 300 as well. Interesting to see if they shoot differently for you versus 140's.

Well getting 147 factory ammo on sale changes my answer a bit. I have no doubt that 147 ELDMs will most likely shoot very well in your gun- in my case I’m reloading and have well developed loads and a very long experience with the 140 ELDMs so I have no reason to switch. But if you don’t reload and buying 147s on sale saves your hard earned dollars then I would tell you to consider the 147s

I can’t say I’ve ever had a 140 blow up but I’ve definitely had quite a few 147 not make it where intended.

I have a Howa 6.5 barreled chassis with a 26" barrel in a XLR Element chassis. In Hornady factory ammo, I've tried eld-x 143gr, eld-m 140 gr, and eld-m 147gr. The eld-x shot about 3/4, but the barrel was new so it might shoot it better now. The 140's shoot about 1/2 inch groups but it seems like I get 1 flyer every 5 shot group or so. The 147's shoot about 1/4 inch every time with no flyers, so that's all I shoot now.

Reactions: Baron23
    interesting topic b./c I just did a comparison to factory loaded ELDM in 140 and the cheaper American Gunner in 140 BTHP. and while the BTHP ran about 60FPS slower, the ES/SD were almost half of what the ELDM loads were. Im still scratching my head with this data and im not sure exactly why this is happening.

Reactions: Lightning8
    My rifle (6.5CM) likes 147's and at long range the the higher BC makes up for the loss in MV for me anyway. My rifle also likes the American Gunner 140gr BTHP and that's my go-to practice ammo for <800 yards. Beyond that they get a little too inconsistent.

FWIW I've never personally had any issues with 147's coming apart - I'm also running an 18.5" barrel so my velocity isn't real high either.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Sniperwannabee
    What Hide vendor has best prices on this ammo in stock, by the case? Looking to pick some up soon.

Just be careful with the 147. I have 3 different 6.5 PRC barrels and they are all blowing up the 147. You might be ok with a creedoor but i don't know for sure.

factory hornady 140 and 147 eldm loads group about the same for me at 100 (6.5 creed 26" 1-8). i haven't shot for groups at 1k+ but it seems the 140 is more accurate out there. so after shooting 147 at matches for a while, i'm transitioning back to 140.

Just be careful with the 147. I have 3 different 6.5 PRC barrels and they are all blowing up the 147. You might be ok with a creedoor but i don't know for sure.

Same here...
    BUT the same lot of bullets have been GTG in CMs, x47Ls, and a .260.

I bought some factory ammo to use as a baseline to compare with my handloads. The 140s shot ok, but the 147 we're impressive. The fist three 100 yard groups were .5, .4, and .6 inches. I backed it up with a 1.5 inch 300 yard group. That's 5 shots, the middle hole had 2 bullets pass through.
    IMG_20200503_110453.jpg

My AIAT with OEM 24" barrel really likes Hornady 140gr ELDs. It also shoots Prime 130gr lights out. Since I have my dope for both, I have options in case one or the other becomes unavailable, or until i need a new barrel.

Robert Gradous is building me a 6.5 CM and in discussing bullets with him, it was his view that Hornady changed the ogive 60/1000's on the 147's and that in his experience not all barrels will shoot the 147 well.

I have probably butchered up what he told me and I don't have the gun yet so have no first hand experience to offer on this.

I snuck in a quick range session (100 yards) this afternoon but will go back over the weekend for a proper shake out and take pics and measurements. My initial impressions:
    Hornady 120s - TERRIBLE
    Hornady 140s - Pretty Good
    Hornady 147s - Pretty Good (same as 140s)
    FGMM 130 Bergers - Really Good - Four in one hole and one flyer probably all me!
    CC 130 Bergers - The best of the 5 groups I shot (one ragged hole)

Not worth anything statistically but that's what I got. Rifle is a SAC barreled Sako TRG with an 8 twist Bartlein (IIRC) at 24 inches. Unsupressed through a SiCo ASR brake. I shot a few sighters to warm things up then proceeded to shoot about as rapidly as I could as I was pressed for time. Will shoot both suppressed and unsuppressed this weekend and report back with more details.

See which your barrel likes better. I will say that the 147s shot nice groups up close but the trued BC was way off at distance for me. Have shot side by side with others with same experience. Just recently saw this, which is exactly what I experienced (the low BC). I am sure Rob will be along shortly to say he shoots 147s out 2 miles and the BC holds true for him ;)

Screen Shot 2020-05-06 at 10.45.59 AM.png

... the results are in (sort of). I am no pro and it was pretty windy.
    First, the Hornady stuff
    120Gr ... again, terrible (1.13 inches)

140Gr ... Pretty Good (.58 inches)

147Gr ... OK (.88 inches)

Now the Bergers
    Copper Creek (.72 and .89 inches)

FGMM 130 Bergers (.45 and .43 inches)

Again ... Rifle is a SAC barreled Sako TRG with an 8 twist Bartlein (IIRC) at 24 inches. Unsupressed through a SiCo ASR brake. Shot off a bench with an Atlas bipod and rear mono pod. I will be buying cases of FGMM 130s based on this. It backs up my quickie range trip on Friday. Now to find some longer ranges that are open (I am in the Northeast ... Sucks!). Again ... totally non scientific nor statistically significant!

I prefer the 147’s they work great out my 24” bartlein 8 twist. I’ve shot the 120’s and the 140’s, the 140’s shot great also but I can get the 147’s locally for about $3-4 a box cheaper. I’ve also shot several boxes of the 153 a-tips from copper creek with really good results as well.

Reactions: MPrimo and Baron23
    147s here. I shot the 140s for a while but noticed a significant improvement in accuracy in my rifle with 147s. I have limited opportunity to 1000 but strelok dope seemed right on out to 1000. Accuracy is amazing out of my PVA barrel is outstanding

I am sure Rob will be along shortly to say he shoots 147s out 2 miles and the BC holds true for him ;)

Nope only shot them to 1400 yards and used the Hornady 4 Dof ballistic program and was within .1 mil for elevation all the way out so yeah they worked for me. ;) Not always the bullet when people have to "true" the BC.