• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes $1400 scope choice

jawa

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2010
TX
Alright guys, I have searched but not found any RECENT posts. I am tired of my Falcon 5.5x25x50 and would like to upgrade... I am concerned with clarity of glass more so than anything else. Then variable power with minimum magnification max no less than 14x,then comes FFP, then mil/mil/, or moa,moa. I looked at Leupold and I couldnt find the M5 knobs for the mildot ret. I am certainly interested in the Viper PST, but the wait will probably be longer than I would like, I have looked at Zeiss and really like their glass clarity, but still unsure. I looked at Europtics used section and they hardly have anything in my budget. So lets beat this horse dead again and humor me with you opinions. I am not really familar with IOR and many others so enlighten me.

Re: $1k scope choice

I have the leupold 3.5-10x40 w/m3 knobs. i love it. How far do you wanna shoot with it?

Well I have the option to shoot out to 1k, which I would like to do regularly when I can see the damn thing lol.

used nightforce, you might half to scrape up a couple hundred more dollars but it will be way worth it as an end result if you are shooting out to 1k

The 1K price mark is a hard one to fill with the requirements you want. Your choices are pretty much limited to either the Viper PST or Bushnell Elite 4200 FFP.

If you add a bit more cash, and look at the for sale section from time to time, you can get a IOR 3-18 FFP. Thats as clear as you will get for that price mark.

Either way, good luck, I know its not going to be an easy choice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rifleman1981</div><div class="ubbcode-body">used nightforce, you might half to scrape up a couple hundred more dollars but it will be way worth it as an end result if you are shooting out to 1k </div></div>

He is not going to get a FFP NF for anything close to 1K.

4-14x50 IOR Valdada, its illuminated, 30mm just about everything other than FFP. From Liberty Optics:

This classic tactical scope features a 30mm main tube, exposed knobs, new ocular design, side focus and sunshade. The illuminated MP-8 dot reticule is the most copied reticule on the market because of it's ease of use and precision. This latest version incorporates many technologies of our highly successful 35mm and 40mm main tube scopes. Tough to beat for any application

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USACS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What about the Falcon didn't you like? I'm just curious. </div></div>

I dont like the quality of the knobs and the clarity of the glass.

Ok so what about a $1400 scope choice, taking in mind the most important thing is clarity of glass, then FFP... and so forth as mentioned in order, in the original post.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jawa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok so what about a $1400 scope choice, taking in mind the most important thing is clarity of glass, then FFP... and so forth as mentioned in order, in the original post. </div></div>

At that price point, the only scope that fits all of your wants/needs is the IOR 3-18 FFP.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I looked at Leupold and I couldnt find the M5 knobs for the mildot ret.</div></div>

By the way, the M5s do come mil/mil.

Mike @ CST

You could get a Leupold ERT 6.5-20X50 Mark4 M1 FFP for $1599

I'm not sure on the difference between the M5 and M1 turrets yet. I'm guessing from what CS posted that they are mil adjustments to go along with a mil recticle?

The same ERT with M5 runs about 1600-1700

70 moa elevation

Yes, I have been doing some reading. i've been out of circulation for a while and need to get back into my weapons craft again!

You can find the LRT's for cheaper.

Jawa I would say try to pick up something used. If your limit is a hard stop at 1400 then I would think you could only get a SFP NF, IOR, Leupold, etc. Based on your criteria of glass then magnification, I personally would want the SFP NF.

PM sent

might as well go with something that wont be out for a few years so that you get the scope around the same time our seekins come in.

from the research Ive done the bushnell Elite would do everything you want it to.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stefan73</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You could get a Leupold ERT 6.5-20X50 Mark4 M1 FFP for $1599

I'm not sure on the difference between the M5 and M1 turrets yet. I'm guessing from what CS posted that they are mil adjustments to go along with a mil recticle?

The same ERT with M5 runs about 1600-1700 </div></div>

Yes, the M5 has mil adjustments and a mil reticle. PM for special pricing...

Thanks,

Mike @ CST

I knew after you looked through that Zeiss this weekend that a post like this would be coming.

You definitely have the shooting bug. Again, welcome to the addiction. It doesn't get any better from here.

PM sent

I would take CST Tactical up on their special pricing, but if that's still too much, I would really look @ the Zeiss even though it is not FFP.

I haven't seen the glass in the new Viper PST, but I think it is gonna be a great scope for the money and all the bells and whistles

Good luck

I went through the same sitch, wound up with IOR 3x18, now own three of em, all still tikn.

Mark 4 ER/T FFP with M5 knobs

I think Mike at CS tactical has your answer or you can save some money and get on the waiting list for the Vortex scopes coming out in June.

This is a long thread that was nailed by usmcj on the 5th post unless Mike@CST can swing something special.

Yea I agree, Mike@CST has offered me a good deal, but I am still doing some reviewing. I will post my rig with the new scope when I make my choice. Thanks for all of the responses guys.

Dude, why do you feel the need to spend $1400 on a scope.....just because you "might" shoot to 1000 yards one day? There are plenty of great quality scopes under that price range that will get you to 1000 yards just fine. I've shot to 1000 yds. several times with a 10x......higher is nicer, but not really needed for that distance & under.

IOR 3-18 will give you good glass too. Viper PSTs are looking great too... Just mentioned the LEU M5 cause they are new to the market (and not talked about as much as other new lines) and should be considered as an option now as well. Whichever way you go, Good luck
smile.gif

Thanks,

Mike @ CST