• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1400 yards+ with a 260 in Wyoming

GUNENTHUSIAST

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2010
SE PA
Hey guys,

I was out in Wyoming doing some elk hunting last month and I took my 260 out to shoot some long range stuff that I don't get to do much back in Ohio. I was shooting rocks from 600 yards all the way out to 1700 yards in 100 yard increments. I was comparing my actual impacts at those distances with what my Knights Armament ballistic app for my iphone was telling me. It was basically on until I went past 1400 yards and my actual bullet impact seemed to drop off to 10 - 15 MOA lower than what my ballistic app said it should be. I was very confused by this. The only thing I can come up with is that the trans-sonic flight it may have encountered at around 1400 + yards disrupted the bullet.

Also I found the G1 BC to be closer to what I saw than the G7 BC. I thought it was supposed to be the other way around.

Any ideas or input on this?

Re: 1400 yards+ with a 260 in Wyoming

Since I am in the middle of a 260 Ackley Imp. build, what is your 260 and what loads were you useing to get to 1400yds?
Greg

What dope did you record on the way out to 1400? What range are you showing sub-sonic with the load you are shooting?

I am shooting an AIAW re-barreled by GAP with a Bartlein 26" 1-8.5 5r.
My load is 43.5 grains H4350, Lapua 260 Brass, 140 gr Berger VLD, CCI BR2 primers. I load them to 2.910" (.020 off the lands)
My chronograph said velocity was 2910, but by observed drop was right on with the ballistic calculator when adjusted to 2875 fps.

I am showing 53.1 MOA at 1400 yards.
I cant seem to find at what velocity I go subsonic on this Bullet flight app on my new iphone.
When I had my droid I had the Shooter app and it said I should be subsonic at 1550 to 1600 depending on atmospheric conditions.
All my observed drops were right on with my calculator all the way from zero to 1400 yards. Beyond 1400 is where my actual bullet flight was dropping much more than calculated.

I recently bought a GAP Crusader chambered in 260Rem, and the rifle came with some handloaded ammo. The 260 is new caliber for me, but I was just wondering if 8.5 twist is enough for the longer, heavier bullets?

FWIW, mine shoots 1/4-moa at 100-yards, but opens up to almost 1-moa at 200. I think the guy loaded them hot (44 grains H4350 pushing a 142-gr SMK) becuase it kicks more then what I expected a 260 would. I haven't had the time to see if my groups are opening up due to the load, or the combination of the 8.5 twist and the 142's? Once I get my reloading bench set-up, I'll start by trying a reduced load.

But going back to your problem, I wonder if the bullet you are using is becoming unstable because of the 8.5 twist?

The 8.5 twist should shoot every bullet weight well so thats not an issue. The most accurate load I have found to date has been the 142 SMKs with 42.5 grains of H4350 so your 44 might be a bit hot, but I cant say for sure. Maybe try 42.5 or 43 grains and see how it shoots.

I would look at bullet design before twist. The VLD's have historically not transitioned very well through transonic. If you put up paper you may find that they are keyholing.

If you want to push max. range with a .260, 142 SMK's have been proven to over a mile at reasonably low DA's. The Scenars will do well also, but are trailing a bit in BC and will require more elevation.

John

That's interesting that the 142 smk will do better to a mile than the 140 vld considering the vld has a significantly higher bc. Maybe I will need to go back to them. I was at shot show this week and mile high had a AIAX 338 on display with a 20 inch barrel. It was sick! I was about to order one until I compared the ballistics to those of my 260. The 260 actually shot flatter than the 338 with the 20 inch barrel all the way to a mile! Just makes me love my old 260 AIAW even more!

There are guys on here who can explain it better than I can, but in general, the higher BC bullets tend to also be more tail-heavy, so when they experience the shock of transitioning to subsonic, they are more prone to destabilize and start keyholing. So for ultimate range there are two schools of thought. Get highest BC with highest MV and hope they stay SS long enough, or use a more moderate BC (and design) and count on them staying stable past sub-sonic.

If I was going to be shooting over a mile very often, I would definitely want at least a 300WM shooting the heavies. .338 would be even better. Why? Energy. 140 class bullets are hard to spot at very long ranges and quite boring when they get there by comparison. 230-300 gr. bullets make a lot more commotion at longer ranges. They're easier to see hits and misses, make more noise on steel and are generally just a lot more rewarding. Not to say the .260 can't get there, it's is just way more fun with the bigger round.

John

It took me 89 MOA to make it to a mile with 139s and 84.75 MOA with 140 vlds. DA was +1550. The 139s keyholed more often and the 140s didn't keyhole at all. I know this round isn't meant for that distance but its fun seeing what it will do.

Took me 62.25 MOA to get to 1790 yards in Montana last year. Hit with the 105 amax outta my 6mm Crusader.. found jacket right in front of steel.. Not much energy left... LOL

100_09272.jpg

Cinch in the background lookin for more bullets....

100_09241.jpg

Sendero, <span style="color: #3333FF">{added}</span>

Awesome shooting! What were the conditions?

Thanks for the replies! I cant wait to get out and try some 142's at further distances now!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sendero, <span style="color: #3333FF">{added}</span>

Awesome shooting! What were the conditions? </div></div>

Like this...

015125.jpg

Here is steel at roughly 500 yards if I remember correctly..

Mine is on left and PGS's is on the right.... rapid fire / Frustration re-leaver.
wink.gif

013139.jpg

Sendero,

I don't have to explain to you why the cows have a natural lean out there
wink.gif
grin.gif
. If the wind weren't blowing, they'd fall over probably.

Yeah, that is pretty tough calling wind at that speed! If it's switching, you'd definitely be on your game to get several hits in a row. Great shooting!

Good shooting. I used the Gunwerks new G7 ranger finder this week end to make first round hits out to 1400 yards 40.3 MOA. Beats the heck out of Carying around all the extra gear!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R&K Hunting Co</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good shooting. I used the Gunwerks new G7 ranger finder this week end to make first round hits out to 1400 yards 40.3 MOA. Beats the heck out of Carying around all the extra gear!!! </div></div>

LOL... that is funny.
cool.gif

BOTW boys using G7 products... did ya ditch the Huskemaw too ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sendero_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
015125.jpg
</div></div>

Hard to learn to shoot in the wind if your just reading about it and not doing it. I read that somewhere.

Looks like school was in session and a great time was had by all. Wish I had access to those wide open ranges.

Supposed to shoot my .260 at a buddy's ranch east of the mountains this weekend. They had wind warnings today. 30-35 mph with 60 mph gusts. Welcome to Eastern Montana.
grin.gif

Best wind related story I ever heard though was from a friend who lived in Cheyenne. They had high wind "Small Dog Warnings". Not a lie.

John

Tuff crowd on this site. Who said I'm a BOTW guy? I have just about every high end scope made and for the most part I like them all including the husk...
The MOA feature out to 1400 yards on the G7 is really what makes it worth the money..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R&K Hunting Co</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tuff crowd on this site. Who said I'm a BOTW guy? I have just about every high end scope made and for the most part I like them all including the husk...
The MOA feature out to 1400 yards on the G7 is really what makes it worth the money.. </div></div>

If you are part of the real R&K you are a BOTW guy...

if not... maybe it is just your screen name you picked outta a hat and decided to talk about something like the G7... huh ? go figure

I am the real R&K.not that you would know anything about the real R&K! I'm guessing you know as much about BOTW as you do R&K or are you just blowing a 35.6Mph cross wind?