• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

147 grain in 308

nagantguy

Banhammer
Banned !
Minuteman
Aug 28, 2020
So I’ve read the woes here getting 147 grain projectiles to fire accurately in 308.
so I’ve tried several recipes with both H4895 and Varget in both a Begera HMR and DPMS LR-308 and a T/C Encore barrel. The best from the Gaza gun has been about 4 inch 5 shot groups the best from the bolt gun and single shot have been around 3 inches for 5 shots at 100 yards- the projectiles are General Dynamics . I’m wasting time and components with them because I was given a few thousand . The good news is they shoot well in my .300BLK and as a single shot option in my 30/30.
the 3 308 rifles are capable of good accuracy with favorite loads - and the HMR hasn’t found anything it won’t shoot well besides these little 147’s.
Anyone struck gold with a different powder?
Also should mention I’ve tried loading longer and shorter OAL and tried 4 types of primers.

So I’ve read the woes here getting 147 grain projectiles to fire accurately in 308.
so I’ve tried several recipes with both H4895 and Varget in both a Begera HMR and DPMS LR-308 and a T/C Encore barrel. The best from the Gaza gun has been about 4 inch 5 shot groups the best from the bolt gun and single shot have been around 3 inches for 5 shots at 100 yards- the projectiles are General Dynamics . I’m wasting time and components with them because I was given a few thousand . The good news is they shoot well in my .300BLK and as a single shot option in my 30/30.
the 3 308 rifles are capable of good accuracy with favorite loads - and the HMR hasn’t found anything it won’t shoot well besides these little 147’s.
Anyone struck gold with a different powder?
Also should mention I’ve tried loading longer and shorter OAL and tried 4 types of primers.
I can get 1 inch groups with my FN FAL and 1 1/2 with my M1A with W748 147 pills are Winchester FMJ 2inch groups are the norm

147 gr FMJ bullets are made for military M80 accuracy requirements which is not that tight. You've tried H4895 which is in the range of powders for the 147 and M80. You could try IMR4895 and maybe BL-C2, but I doubt you'll see much improvement. If you are looking for cheaper (at least historically) bullets I've had reasonable success with Hornady 150gr. Its ~1 MOA with an occasional flyer. I don't shoot them often.

Reactions: camocorvette
I agree with Doom & Cr1775, Ive only used the Hornady 150 fmj and I make it easy with a drop charge of 44.5 grains and W748. I use the IMR and Varget for other stuff.

M80 is a bummer.

Why go through the trouble. I tried to find better bullets for reloading and buy M80 after the panic when its cheap like it should be.

You can buy way better ammo right now from the CMP at probably better prices than replacing components.

Reactions: lash
So after another trip to the back 40 for ladder testing with Varget H and IMR 4895 I still wasn’t happy even for just blasting ammo- a concept I really don’t like anyhow. And then provenance struck, a guy whom I know was looking to build M80 for his service rifles , and low and behold had several flavors of powder for trade- no Varget and no H4340 But lots of IMR 4895- of which I have much use for so a deal was made and we are both happy!
don’t even mind the load development and capsule certainly live with less than MOA, if these rifle were not capable of MOA and if primers weren’t as rare as a hymen in a whore house and I didn’t have lots of heavier projectiles that these rifles are fond of .
also digging around I found 2 more boxes of SMK 168 and another box of hornady 168s I’d traded for some time ago and stashed away and forgot about!

So after another trip to the back 40 for ladder testing with Varget H and IMR 4895 I still wasn’t happy even for just blasting ammo- a concept I really don’t like anyhow. And then provenance struck, a guy whom I know was looking to build M80 for his service rifles , and low and behold had several flavors of powder for trade- no Varget and no H4340 But lots of IMR 4895- of which I have much use for so a deal was made and we are both happy!
don’t even mind the load development and capsule certainly live with less than MOA, if these rifle were not capable of MOA and if primers weren’t as rare as a hymen in a whore house and I didn’t have lots of heavier projectiles that these rifles are fond of .
also digging around I found 2 more boxes of SMK 168 and another box of hornady 168s I’d traded for some time ago and stashed away and forgot about!
nagantguy the best accuracy of any bullet weight in any caliber can be found buy using the CBTO method instead of the COAL, each rifle chamber’s is different. Each bullet brand and weight is going to have a different ogive. No matter if your using the 147,168 or 175 you must find the CBTO measurements in order to obtain the the tightest group’s and consistency .

They sucked in 308. Had moderate happiness in 300 blackout for blasting rounds though. I never did any with them except blast steel targets and bust rocks though

That bullet probably is not ever going to shoot great. It wasn't made for match grade accuracy. I suggest saving your components for a better bullet. Load those up and save them for riot control!

Here we go the fmj that have a flat bottom suck . Now if you can find army surplus 147 with the crimp on the bottom . Get some Acc.2460 44.4 grains now these little buggers with a good scope one hole at 100 yards that is with new Hornady brass a win. LRP. Shoots well out of my AR 10. And my CZ 557 makes one hole. Have not chronographed yet.

147 gr FMJ bullets are made for military M80 accuracy requirements which is not that tight. You've tried H4895 which is in the range of powders for the 147 and M80. You could try IMR4895 and maybe BL-C2, but I doubt you'll see much improvement. If you are looking for cheaper (at least historically) bullets I've had reasonable success with Hornady 150gr. Its ~1 MOA with an occasional flyer. I don't shoot them often.
I haven't tried the 147's. But I'm with Doom ^^^ the Hornady 150's have done pretty good in my .308 gasser. A lot better than the "minute of human torso" that the military settles for

I struggled with them for a while but learned they can be really finicky about seating depth/jump/distance to lands... Whatever you want to call it.

If you have the patience you might pick the load that gives you the "best" group with the 147's and play around with the seating depth... You might get lucky.

Mike